“Friendly staff, great service beautiful rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Early Booking
Ranked #4 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Friendly staff, great service beautiful rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed in the club rooms and they were just divine. The King bed was pure comfort, the Bose alarm clock/docking station next to the bed was a bonus as I had forgot my phone charger, the delightful pillow menu and brilliant room service all combined to make our 2 night stay very enjoyable. We particularly liked the Club room for it delicious breakfast offering (I had the Eggs Benedict off the menu, which were heavenly) and the array of different drinks on offer during their 'happy hour' were great. It's also within walking distance to some great little restaurants and bars. We ate at Mamasita's (right next door) and had a night cap at the lovely Supper Club (a 5 minute walk up Spring street.) There's also a tram stop right outside the front of the hotel if walking isn't your thing. The only thing I could ask them to improve on is their wifi - perhaps it's just me and my useless nature when it comes to technology, but I found it very clumsy and difficult to use - when I could get it to work. However it wouldn't stop us from visiting again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Jeremy H, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay overall. I was disappointed to read about the issues you had with the wifi and I sincerely apologise for the impact this had on your stay.

3,331 people have reviewed this hotel

1923
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with the club facility for two nights with my husband. The hotel location is well located in the CBD with shops and attractions around. The club is on 35/F with a stunning city view and the food and beverage in there were nice.

My check in and check out were executed at the Club, but the services was really bad and they were not in a good manner either. Breakfast, cocktails and afternoon tea, obviously lack of staff, no one came to serve you even you kept asking for it.

We request late check out, and they did not approve and they did not even lend the washroom for us to refresh ourselves before our long flight.

I have been a long term loyal fan to Sofitel, but I must say I was very disappointed to this hotel services. This was not a good sofitel standard nor 5* services.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jeremy H, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
I was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on your recent stay. I appreciate your comments about the service you received from our Club Ambassadors and I apologise for the impact this had on your stay. I also apologise that we could not meet your requests for a late check out on this occasion.
While the above events are less than satisfactory they are not normal. I do hope that one day you give us another chance and return to experience the high level of service I know we are capable of.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The staff here are really on the ball. Everyone I had contact with were what is expected from all hotels. The breakfast was one of the best I have had and the views from the breakfast room easily the best!!!
Ill be back hopefully sooner rather than later. Well done!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for telling us about your experience at the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. It was wonderful to hear that we made your stay truly enjoyable. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast and the views across Melbourne.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed at Sofitel for combined business and personal.Well located to the city with easy walking distance.
The staff are very friendly and welcoming.
My room was spacious with a good view and very quiet.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, and I’m also pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay with us. It’s always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We thank you for your support of our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I only stayed one night but was treated like I was staying for a month.
My room overlooked Port Phillip Bay and was on the 47th floor. This was probably the best view from a hotel room i have had. The room was excellent and the beed very comfortable.
The location is superb.

It is hard to fault the sifitel chain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over Port Phillip Bay
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, and I’m also pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay with us. It’s always a pleasure to receive positive feedback, which I will share with my team.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

From arriving at the hotel you notice the 5 star service. Check in was quick and efficient and as an Accor Platinum we got some nice extras in the room. Room was clean and excellent size wise.

The only issue I had with the room is the fact that the shower is in the bath tub and I almost fell whilst getting out. I loved the motion sensors in the bathroom though so you don't have to look for the light switch at night.

Transport outside is perfect with taxis just bye and the tram just a couple of meters away.

Excellent stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeremy H, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. I was concerned to learn that you almost fell while getting out of the shower and I sincerely apologise for the impact this had on your stay. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights to attend a meeting and was impressed by the room size, with clever angles and mirrors that make it seem even more spacious. The bed was almost too comfortable with the fattest pillow top I think I have ever seen. I was excited at seeing a pillow menu with 6 options, as usually these high end hotels favour down pillows that flatten as soon as you look at them. Unfortunately, despite ordering a few pillow alternatives from housekeeping I found they were either too firm or too soft. I seem to be just like Goldilocks when it comes to pillows. I have to say though that the U-pillow they provided was handy for watching tv in bed and I ended up using it to sleep on as the consistency was what I was used to from home.

The bathroom was great, although the shower is over the tub which can make it awkward to get in and out. There was a fabulous makeup mirror that lit up in the bathroom. In fact the lighting throughout the room was very cleverly done and could be controlled via a remote control panel on the bed side cabinet. I had to wear my glasses to read the screen, but once you knew what you were meant to press it was great.

Instead of curtains/block out drapes there was simply a privacy blind and then wooden shutters on the windows. I never thought I was claustrophobic until I closed the shutters to block out the skyline lights at night - I had to leave one ajar so I didn't feel completely boxed in. I can appreciate that it looks slick and I presume requires less maintenance than curtains but I thought the room lost its cosy touch. The only other issue was the TV remote control. I thought the battery was flat as it worked if I held it up to the screen but if I sat back in the bed it wouldn't change the channels. I left a note in the morning next to the remote control asking for the batteries to be changed, and I presume it didn't happen as I still couldn't change the channel from the bed, but had to be holding the remote within 1m for it to register.

I'd still recommend the hotel though as the location is excellent, the service wonderful and the rooms very clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I apologise that you could not find a suitable pillow from our range pillows we offer to our guests through our pillow menu. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Been to Sofitel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!