“Absolutely Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Cambridge England
“Absolutely Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Our daughter booked us into this hotel as a Christmas present. We stopped at the Sofitel Melbourne from the 21st Dec 2012 for two nights. The room had views from every wall and you could see all over Melbourne. What can we say about the bed it was the best bed we have ever slept in and we are both in our late fifties! The river the tennis complex everything. The staff were so welcoming and did everything in their power to make our stay one to remember (which it was). They booked up our trips for us they walked us round to show us where we had to catch the bus they really could not have done any more. The ambience of the hotel is brilliant relaxed but very stylish. Wish we were going again and hopefully will one day and we will definitely stop here again. Thank you Sofitel.

Room Tip: Get one quite high to get the view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. We are pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay; it’s always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Your comments will be shared with all of our team.

Guest reviews enable us to monitor our standards and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on any future visits you may make to Melbourne.

3,388 people have reviewed this hotel

1952
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Indonesian first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the sofitel, good service, comfortable clean room, Service was excellent at reservation and check out. When we arrived we were advised the room we requested on higher floor was not ready but immediately offered a comparable room on a lower floor which we accepted.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

A modern but warm hotel which does not lack friendly staff and charm. You are greeted in French - a nice touch. A relaxing place to stay with magnificent views, good food and comfortable rooms. Dining on the 35th Floor is a must. With an 11am checkout as the norm you are not 'rushed out the door' on the day you leave. Checkout the piano bar, high tea and the numerous shops nearby. There is also a cinema in the building. The only downside was poor TV reception and a remote that was sluggish - not very important.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the MCG.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for telling us about your experience at the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins.
It was wonderful to hear that we made your stay truly enjoyable. We are dedicated to constantly improving our services and your positive words are much appreciated by everyone here. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I thought that the service at the Sofitel was great. I always thought I'd be one of those travellers where that was all that really mattered, however (and I guess I'm a bit ashamed to admit this given I didn't think I was that superficial!) I thought that the hotel suffered from being stuck in "the 80s". Think lots of gold and glitz - perfect if you want to "Return to Eden" or "Dynasty". The room itself was good - very comfortable bed and they've done a soft furnishing revamp in a contemporary style, however the bathroom is showing its age. I like having a separate shower rather than shower over bathhead and the thing about this is that neither are great - so I think hotels could do a lot by eliminating a bath that is basically useless and installing a power shower. We also ate in the atrium bar and once again - 80s decor with the club chairs but service was absolutely spot on. I would have given this a 5 rating but if you compare to the likes of Crown, where service IS spot on as well AND decor is fabulous, I just couldn't do it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such honest and constructive feedback. I sincerely appreciate your comments regarding our décor and I thank you for sharing your concerns. We do have some rooms with renovated bathrooms and would happy to reserve one of these for you when you return hopefully in the not too distant future.
Shepparton, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

That when we dropped off our new car at the front of sofitel I was asked were we checking in, and we replied yes and we were asked to just leave my car there with the keys in it and you can check in. I was concerned for our new car as the windows was down and the keys were in it while it just sat there, as this is our first time at sofitel. I tried to keep an eye on our car for about 6min as there was a lot happening and only a few staff and lots of people around, when I went up stairs to check in and I checked again it was gone. The next day when we were checking out we asked if we could have our car ready to go when we were leaving, we were asked for our ticket for our car and we said that we were not given one, at this time I was very concerned about our car that I hoped that it was not stolen as we would not have been covered by insurance as the keys were in the car????? we tried to explain what happened and that we followed the instructions of the sofitel staff. We were asked many times who was the person we gave our car to? what did he look like???? we were not shore? The man at this stage was concerned. We said that we had been billed for the car, he asked for our room and name. we were explained what should have happened but once again I expained if you do not know the process you do not know what to do but follow the sofitel staffs instructions?????
Even after this stuff up still their was no problem in billing us and their was no appology.
We are very lucky this did not go wrong or it would have been the cost of our car and the end of our weekend away. Plus a day to get home some 200km away. Would Sofitel come up with the $30,000.00 for a new car? I am glad we did not bring my new car, twice the price of Suzies car????This is to be one of the top places to stay. It left us speech less at first.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I sincerely thank you for your honest and constructive feedback.

At Sofitel Melbourne On Collins we aim to exceed our guest’s expectations and on this occasion, it is clear that we have failed to deliver. I have addressed the concerns you raised with our Management Team who are taking appropriate action to ensure the issues you encountered are not repeated.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel again in future.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm an Advantage Plus member and try to make good use of the membership. We stayed in a Prestige Suite on the spur of the moment for our Anniversary. We like to try out different hotels and their club lounge offerings. Sofitel was really excellent. Food, service, staff and accommodation was spot on. We had a great view from the corner suite on the 43rd floor. Free pay movies with the club lounge access was an added bonus. Even if pay movies weren't included, the option of an "all you can view for 24 hrs" package is great value and more hotels should do it.

If I had to be picky, I would prefer a separate bath and shower, particularly as I was on crutches and found it difficult to swing my legs over the bath. Access to the restaurants and club lounge were also difficult with the crutches. They do have a wheelchair stair lift but it's extremely slow. A ramp would have made things much easier and quicker. Regardless, I'm not a big fan of overbath showers.

The website information could use some updating. When we booked the club access through the Sofitel website, there was no information informing us that we could use the club facilities from 12pm even though check-in was 2pm. I was particularly disappointed because I had requested an early check-in if possible in our booking information, but had I known about the 12pm club access I wouldn't have bothered about an early check-in request and I would have been even more pleasantly surprised with their offering.

All in all though, I would gladly recommend this hotel. We had a fantastic time, particularly because it was completely unplanned, and we would happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your constructive review of your recent stay at the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. Candid guest feedback such as yours gives us the opportunity to improve our offerings and it is very much appreciated by everyone here. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We are always extremely pleased with our stay at the Sofitel but just have a couple of small suggestions.
The fingermarks on the doors of the cabinet holding the fridge & tea making facilities.
A large 'opened' bottle still in the fridge from the previous guest.
Taking away my plate in the Club Sofitel when we had breakfast before my husband had finished his meal.
We had a very relaxing time and look forward to our next visit be it together or with one of the grandchildren who always enjoy their time there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. We appreciate you taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. It is always very helpful to receive such constructive feedback. I sincerely apologise for the short comings you experienced during your stay and I will be following these up with the relevant departments. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Been to Sofitel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!