“Life is indeed Magnifique” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Dunedin
“Life is indeed Magnifique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel is impressive. Occupting the 35th floor and above the view from the rooms impress from the start. I was on the 49th floor in a Junior suite. Very classy. Everything including the lighting was easy to use and intuitive. I splashed on the 'club' and will never visit a sofitel again without doing so. The cost is easily gained in benefits and the difference is vast. from a turndown service to the club lounge- worth every cent. I recommend this hotel to all business and personal travellers

Room Tip: upper floors are best and ALWAYS splash for the Club Sofitel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
It is wonderful to read your review of our hotel – thank you.
I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you once again in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Indonesian first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very nice hotel with great views of mcg. Room very clean and spacious. Beds were ok, I like firm support, these were more "cloud like" but that is about the only thing I can say wrong with my stay. Staff and amenities were first class.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
It is fantastic to read that you enjoyed the views of the MCG. I was also appreciative of your comments regarding the Sofitel MyBed, and even though we seldom receive unenthusiastic comments regarding the Sofitel MyBed experience, I recognise and acknowledge your feedback about the bed being too soft. I profusely apologise for the impact this has on your sleep. We can remove the bed topper or soft part of the bed which would in turn reveal a firm mattress. Some of our guests prefer this and we are happy to do this.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We loved the view of the city lights from our room. It was really beautiful. Wonderful bed, lovely bathroom, short walk to dinner at the Press Club. Lovely place to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We look forward to staying again some time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins to celebrate your Wedding Anniversary. I’m glad you enjoyed the spectacular view of the city lights and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Excellent hotel. All staff were very welcoming and friendly. The room was a good size, very clean and up to date lighting/technology. Extremely quiet and bed and pillows so comfortable. Great views, the atrium and bar area just beautiful and welcoming for a drink or cup of coffee. Would recommend to others and will stay again. Good location up the top end of Collins Street, short walk down the hill to the train station and trams close-by.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It was an absolute pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. I am delighted that you enjoyed the Hotel’s location and the service we provided.

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your comments and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I spend two nights at this hotel in Melbourne. The location is excellent. The lobby great , the service super, .... as i said almost 5 Stars. The rooms will be outdated in a couple of years and are not so big. The rooms are 4 Star really and the rooms for me is the most important.

Anyways i recommend this Sofitel ... you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback regarding your experience at the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. It is fantastic to hear that you would ‘recommend us’ and I sincerely hope we can welcome you back soon.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

My experience with this Sofitel is like a roller coaster with several ups and downs. Located in the heart of the high end shopping area, this hotel is located next to a sort of mall with a few shops and restaurants. The lobby is on the 2nd lobby and is large and looks grand and nicely designed. Check-in was quite warm with a couple of smiles. I had pre-booked the previous night as I arrived at 8am but they said they were going to waive the first night which was a nice gesture. Or so I thought, read till the end. Breakfast was an extra and astounding $43 which I politely declined

The rooms start on the 35th floor and I was disappointed they gave me the lowest floor on 35 despite being an Accor member. The view was ok for its height. The room was fairly large but the browns all over the room could have been updated. A smallish flat screen tv was acceptable but not the tub which I dislike as I much prefer shower stalls. There's no toothbrush and water so bring or buy your own. When I asked, the operator said the tap water was drinkable, not exactly a reply I'd like to hear. The switches and tv were all remote and though convenient, you have to be patient with the touch screen main control sometimes. The fact that the bathroom lights are motion sensor is novel

The service at the valet is polite throughout. I later enquired whether I could have a late check-out and the cold and nearly rude staff was rather unaccomadating. Room service food quality was average and service was ok

The gym is smallish but ok for 5-6 guests, and had a good view of the tennis week which was nice with the Aussie open going on. Shockingly there's no pool

Similar to breakfast, the wifi is an astounding $30 per day and for the price you pay, the signal is downright terrible. I had to hunt for the signal in the room and the strongest came from the bathroom! I had to read my emails sitting near the tub! The help desk was very unhelpful. I spoke to guest relations in person the next day intending to move out and they claim the signal is weak for apple devices but they can easily install an airport in the room. That solved the odd problem but it would have been nice if the help desk offered that in the first place

Just before I checked out the bill arrived and it appears they didn't waive the first night as promised and I had to clarify. More work on my part

So all in all, this experience was really patchy. I'm guessing the Westin and other 5 stars here can do better

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I was disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations and I certainly appreciate you taking the time to write your comments on Tripadvisor.

Our guests’ satisfaction is of the upmost importance to us and to receive feedback such as yours certainly assists us in our quest to exceed our guests’ expectations.

I do hope that we are one day able to welcome you back for a more positive experience.

Been to Sofitel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!