“Great service but shame about technology” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Early Booking
Ranked #4 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Great service but shame about technology”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

There is so much to enjoy about the Sofitel Melbourne, from the wonderful guest services manager Terence, to the wonderful rooms and beds, and the club lounge (what a treat). I stay there constantly and will continue to go back but dear General Manager - fix up the expensive internet service and please allow folk to use their mobiles in the hotels. Mobile reception is impossible and when the hotel starts at 35 floors above, coming to ground to take an urgent call is inconvenient. Club loungers should also get free internet, don't you think?
As I said I hope to continue to go back but please do fix up the expensive and slow internet (and excess charges) for business travellers and do allow them to read their phone messages and take an occasional call.

Room Tip: Bayview room is the nicest and if you can score a 01 room such as 4501 the extra room is lovely.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for your comments and yes, Terence is as wonderful as you suggest. We are blessed to have him. We also appreciate your comments regarding both internet and mobile phone reception. We are certainly eager to improve in these areas and are working on both to ensure we make the guest experience as pleasant as possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Indonesian first
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed Monday night 19 November. Room was lovely, well appointed. Bed very comfortable. Great views over the city. The highlight for me were the staff. Everyone I dealt with was very friendly and efficient. We had high tea on Monday afternoon to celebrate my friends birthday. We really enjoyed it. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia

Hi,
Great stay and pretty hotel interior. Minor issues, didn't have any body lotion in the room and would have preferred to be told that there was no bath in room. Given price of room, I presumed. Also, service in Club was pretty terrible, not the individuals, just not enough staff so service was very, very slow particularly at breakfast.
Victoria

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent visit to Sofitel Melbourne on Collins.

I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and our facilities.

On the other hand, I’m disappointed that your Club Sofitel experience was not as it should have been and on this occasion we have not met your expectations.

I was also appreciative of your comments regarding your preference for a bathtub. If you prefer a guest room with a bathtub please do not hesitate in mentioning this should you wish to stay with us again in the future.

With warm regards,
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel before. This time we had a gold card and were upgraded to the 50th floor. The accor club is excellent value.
The staff in the Accor club lounge were very friendly and helpful. The front door staff were asked to fetch a bag from my car which they did very promptly. My wife did have a minor complaint at breakfast, her special order did not make it to the kitchen until her 3rd request to the same manager each time.
The meal in the 35 restaurant was excellent. Bed large, need a guide to find your way around. The pillows were surprisingly comfortable to sleep on, being big "feather" pillows we thought they would not be good.
Overall an excellent stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent visit to Sofitel Melbourne on Collins to celebrate your Birthday.

I was very pleased to learn that you found all our team from the Club Sofitel to be friendly and helpful. I will ensure your kind words are shared with everyone.

I also do apologise for the lapse in service in relation to your wife’s breakfast order.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Colac, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

The Sofitel is described as a beautiful hotel at the Paris end of Collins street.
It lived up to it reputation quality and class and a fabulous location.
We enjoyed our weekend getaway in style. Highly recommend

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

My Wife and myself just spent our 3rd Stay at The Sofitel ... Still as good as it gets ... We celebrated our wedding anniversary here in a Club Room on the 49th Floor ... Superb views Fabulous room and the oh so comfy bed ... Club Sofitel facilities as always are exceptional ... Nice wines on offer canapés are fabulous ... Nice ambience and views are amazing ...Breakfast superb as always ...great produce great choice ... Love the staff Hotel wide Pleasant and Helpful ... Nice touch was a complimentary bottle of Bubbles for our Special Occaision ... Nice Touch and Much appreciated ... All in all a fabulous break
Many thanks to all the Staff
David and Denise

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sofitel Melbourne on Collins to celebrate your Wedding Anniversary. We pride ourselves on providing genuine service and those little extra touches that make a stay memorable.

It’s great to hear you had a pleasant experience.

We thank you for your ongoing support of our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hastings, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I always read the bad reviews first, don't you? Get them out of the way! If I believed them, I would be in a 2 star chocolate on brown hotel unable to find my room due to poor lighting and incompetent colour design, with paper-thin walls - listening to other people's TVs and conversations - in a small room where "horror of horrors" the shower is in the bath! Well the last bit is true, but so what? Some people want to take their homes on holiday with them. It's a hotel for God's sake! And a good one. I see it's rated by trip advisor reviewers as the second best hotel in Melbourne. I doubt that but it's pretty good. It occupies the ground and first floors of a skyscraper and then floors 35 to 50. The ground incorporates a shopping mall and a private covered road from Collins street to a spacious entrance where the "hats" work from. Up an escalator to reception and extensive ballroom and conference facilities. There is a separate "lift" lobby direct from the street level so once you have your room you never need to pass the reception again! The rooms occupy the top of the building. Starting at 35 where the bar and restaurants are and going up to 50. There are 6 public lifts (mr or mrs 2 star didn't tell you that!) so I never had a long wait to go up or down. This hotel section of the building is "atrium" style. From all floors the corridors look down on the bar of level 35. Some have noted that noise levels can be annoying in an atrium and if this worries you, find another hotel. It was very low and occasional and no bother to me. All rooms have a stunning view of some aspect of Melbourne. I was in room 4823. King bed. Stylish decor. Windows with blinds and wooden shutters. Flat screen HD TV fully visible from everywhere in the room and moveable (see baseless comments from some reviewers). Bose speaker system with iPhone/pod charger. Unfortunately, Apple have changed the charger shape on the iPhone 5 so those with new phones must use their wire and plug! Clever lighting system with a bedside panel for turning everything on and off and an automatic soft light comes on in the bathroom as you enter. Full, fridge, bar, snacks, bathrobes, iron, kettle, coffee maker, safe etc.
Bathroom is a bit small but everything you need.
By some quirk of fate, the room rate I paid through booking.com included access to the Club Sofitel breakfast lounge. Very nice. I stayed 2 nights and on the first morning I went to the 35 restaurant for breakfast. I was told that no tables were available and I should return later. No mention of Club lounge! Second morning they sent me straight to my luxury area!! I had to make do with the McDonald's opposite on morning 1!!
So my reason for withholding the fifth star is mostly service. While I don't agree with other reviewers that all staff are arrogant, there is a certain lack of any 5 star panache about their work. My check in clerk was delightful though, gave me a box of chocolates to take to my room, checked me in 2 hours early and invited me for a cocktail in the bar. I presented my invite and got my drink but she never showed up!!
I wanted a coffee while my room was being made up at 3 pm. But I was refused entry on reception level due to "high tea" being fully booked. I was sent to the bar on 35 which was roped off! A waitress eventually saw me and let me in for a 6 dollar flat white!
The hotel doesn't believe in "signposts". Floor 35 was often the site of guests scratching their heads wondering where breakfast was. Not a hint of any directions. You must walk around the tower until you find it and hope that you've taken the shortest route! There are quite a lot of steps to breakfast - it's on a kind of lower sub- division of floor 35! If you are not a good walker, you need to ask if there's any lift access. I didn't see any!
So, a comfortable (very expensive) hotel - no free Internet or WI-FI - but every facility that you're prepared to pay for! Service OK but nowhere near the standard you would expect in say Hong Kong or Bangkok at a luxury hotel. That's why it can't get a 5 from me. Ultimately it's a very good French chain hotel but the Shangri La or the Mandarin Oriental, it's not! They have a Mercure just round the corner for my budget level - but it was full!!
PS there was a concerning review by another about fire escape systems. When an alarm went off during their stay, there were (according to them) no staff helping guests to descend the many stairways or give instructions. This concern was never addressed by the management in any reply that I saw and yet it is a very important concern.

Room Tip: If you're paying for this place you might as well pay for the best room you can get!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your excellent feedback. We certainly appreciate the time you have afforded us and to be able to learn about your experience. We have installed new lighting in the corridors so, tick! The walls are concrete so still struggling to find the paper. Point taken though. The bath, yes, however we are planning to change the bathrooms and to include a separate shower. We have already done some. I am glad the receptionist didn’t show up at the bar. She would have been in trouble if she did. I will certainly search for the review regarding the fire escape systems and respond. Thank you for your comments. Very much appreciated and I do hope we see you back here with is in the not too distant future.

Been to Sofitel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!