I stayed here with my best friend for a girl's weekend away. We booked it through the Wotif website as a mystery hotel (although there was little mystery that it was the Sofitel from the hotel description!). We were both keen to see what the Sofitel hospitality was like. We liked the location of the hotel. It is very nicely decorated and clean. It boasted an excellent bar (the Atrium bar on level 35) with great views and a nice ambience. We enjoyed complimentary cocktails there as part of our package. The twin beds were comfortable and the blackout blinds meant we got a great night's sleep. Other highlights include plush robes, lovely Roger & Gallet bath products, pillow menu (I suggest asking for firmer pillows as the feather pillows provided by default are quite flaccid) and the view we had was breathtaking. NB This hotel does NOT have a swimming pool.
The only downside to our stay were the hesitant staff. The concierges we experienced seemed nervous and hesitant to commit to suggestions and at times and other staff were slow to follow through on promises. Could be a lack of expertise?
We had free drinks included in our mystery package but the vouchers for these were not given to us on check in, nor when our room was ready. We called and asked hotel relations about their whereabouts. They said they'd have them brought up to the room. This didn't happen so we had to ask again. It was frustrating to chase something up that we had indeed paid for. I'd expect better of a hotel of its reputation and star rating.
We also annoyed by an incorrect bill being slipped under our door the morning of checkout. The bill had charges for valet parking and a drink at the bar neither of which were ours. We phoned reception about this and at first they were polite and said they'd look into it. After not hearing back from them we called again but this time we were treated with suspicion and told they had to check the details with valet and the bar. Sure enough it was revealed the charges did not belong to us. It did dampen our spirits a bit in the morning to have to deal with this prior to checkout.
Overall we enjoyed our stay but this would have been a 5 star rating from us if the staff were more confident and forthcoming.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins is at the Paris end of Collins Street, in the heart of the city's premier shopping, dining and theatre district, just minutes from the famous Melbourne Cricket Ground. This award-winning hotel has 363 luxurious rooms that begin from level 36 offering breathtaking views from floor-to-ceiling windows. Each room is complemented by modern furnishings, mood lighting, LED\LCD or Plasma televisions and iPod|MP3 connection. Marble bathrooms offer automated low level lighting and French amenities.Enjoy modern dining in No35, high tea occasions in Sofi's Lounge or stylish cocktails in the Atrium Bar On 35.For meetings and events, Sofitel Melbourne On Collins is one of the city’s most comprehensive integrated hotel conference venues offering 12 individual meetings venues with comprehensive audio-visual services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, ACCOR, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Splendia, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Venere, Agoda, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Sofitel Melbourne on Collins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins Hotel Melbourne
- Accor Melbourne On Collins
- Melbourne Sofitel