“PERFECT HOTEL FOR MELBOURNE VISIT” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne to your Saves list
Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   630 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #51 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
tasmania
“PERFECT HOTEL FOR MELBOURNE VISIT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Everything I want for a fuss-free overnight stay in Melbourne was offered to me in this hotel.
Located in a heritage building, the lobby is small but feels like you are stepping back to another time when service was important. It was my lucky day as I was upgraded to the master suite - a large sumptuous top floor room. No noise from the street. Very comfortable bed and a great nights sleep. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

989 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

I stay here whenever I am in Melbourne. Nice and clean, surprisingly quiet. Great service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

A standard 3-star tourist hotel. I got a reasonable rate, and didn't expect too much.

The key plus-point is the location - directly opposite Southern Cross station and the SkyBus base.

The room was big enough, and clean, at least superficially (I tried not to look closely at the fabric on the chair, or the carpets!). The bed was comfortable enough, but there was an unpleasantly ugly cabinet at the end of the bed and, if the doors of it were open, they completely blocked movement around the bed (see photo). As others have noted here, the walls are paper-thin - I actually knocked one with my knuckles and was worried that I may have dented it!

The hotel is one of those which likes to scatter as many leaflets as possible around the room - in-house advertising, notices to save water, menus, brochures, leaflets - my first job was to bundle the whole lot up and hide them away. Electric sockets hidden under desks and at floor level - not convenient. $6.50 for a bottle of water! No plug for the sink - I improvised by using the bath plug (almost successfully). No face cloths in bathroom. Ridiculous shower set-up - a fixed shower head on the wall, with a protruding shelf under it, so the water hits the shelf and then bounces everywhere, including out of the bath tub onto the floor. No free Internet anywhere in hotel.

Overall, good enough for a one-night stay. But if you're looking for a really clean, comfortable, and well-designed room, perhaps somewhere else would be better.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

I stayed here for total of 4 nights. The hotel was very clean, service was good etc but the main issue was noise. The room had one of its windows to an atrium, at the bottom of which was the restaurant. They would start playing music in the restaurant early in the morning & this could be heard from my room. Breakfast was included which was good. Overall it was good but would recommend to avoid the rooms backing onto the atrium.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
ACT, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed at the Vibe Savoy during the Melbourne Cup Carnival and our expereince was so good we will return each time we visit Melbourne.

The location is perfect for people attending just about any type of event at any of the various sporting and entertainment venues in and around Melbourne, it's literally a couple of metres to Southern Cross Station which gives you quick access to the airport via Skybus, and the various sporting and entertaining venues via train and tram. During our visit we got the train to Flemmington racecourse, walked to the heart of the city and got the tram to St Kilda all with no problems at all. We also walked the very easy and short walk to Crown Casino complex and the entertainment centre. Nothing is far from the Vibe, and there is excellent access to public transport practically at your door. Despite the close proximity to the station, we did not hear any trains of traffic during our stay.

The vibe has a charming, almost old world feeling to facade, and the warm continues as you proceed to check in and make it to your room, the main difference is that inside this property is modern and friendly, both in design, furnishings and staff.

We arrived quite early around 10am for a room booked for 4pm check-in, the recptionist and concierge were very helpful and stored out bags and arranged for the room to be made ready for us ASAP, they even called us when the room was ready early to let us know, and had kindly taken our bags to the room -A nice touch that you rarely see these days.

We had a queen room that I sensed was fairly standard for this property, although they also offer larger rooms if you want to splash out that little bit further.

We found the room to be very comfortable and spacious enough to meet our needs. The bed was as comfy as I've ever slept in and the room was cleaned to a fantastic standard - One of the cleanest and best prepared rooms we've ever stayed in, I really must take my hat off to the housekeeping staff, everything was perfectly clean, not even a little bit of dust or dirt - I find this rare these days, even at good hotels and motels you usually find something that's not quite perfect.

Checkout was as friednly and trouble free as everything else, very quick too considering the high occupancy and check-out rate on the day we left (end of the biggest week of the spring racing carnival).

It's rare that I leave a property thinking there was nothing that could have been improved upon during my stay, but the Vibe Savoy left me (and my partner) amazingly happy and already planning out next trip.

Highly recommended

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Location.....
I stayed at the Vibe Savoy hotel in Melbourne for 3 nights in October 2010. The location is great if you need public transport as it is located across the road from Southern Cross Station where you can catch the train, taxi and buses. The airport shuttle service also picks up from the station. There is a shopping centre located across the road and the main shopping district of Melbourne is about a 15 minute walk. The Crown Casino is about a 10 minute walk. I recommend eating dinner at Lygon Street where there is an endless choice of Italian restaurants. You will need to catch a taxi there though as it is quite a far walk.
Hotel itself.....
The hotel was very modern/stylish and very clean. Rooms were normal sized hotel rooms with generous sized bathrooms. Rooms have all the necessary features, i do recommend bringing your own hairdryer if you are fussy as theirs aren't that great. Staff are courteous and helpful. We didnt eat in the lobby bar but looked quite popular.
All in all a great hotel and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

The location of this hotel was very good for our purpose but if you are going for shopping then this hotel is a bit out of the way. In saying that the trams are just around the corner. It's a short walk to the convention centre and the casino.

The hotel room was clean and tidy and had plenty of space but the bathroom was a bit tired though clean.

I have stayed at this hotel previously for work so was very disapointed when we were woken up by the neighbours at 4am both mornings when they had been out all night. The acoustics are shocking. We could hear everything that was said and were kept awake for hours.

Based on this I don't think I will be staying here again for work or leisure.

Reception staff were friendly and efficient with a quick check in and check out.

We didn't eat in the hotel as so can't comment on the food.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne? Share your experiences!