“Geat Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne

You added Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne to your Saves list
Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   630 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #56 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Abergavenny
“Geat Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Great Location, very comfortable beds. This is a great city center hotel. It was a little noisy on Friday night as we overlooked the station and trains run until early morning, great breakfast in the outlet mall across the road and on the tram route.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

As my fellow travellers have mentioned, the Vibe Savoy is in a great location, directly accross the road from the Sky Bus station and Direct Factory Outlets (I lovingly nicknamed this place "Heaven" and took many trips there).
I stayed at the Vibe with my husband and ten year old son and booked our room over the Internet. The initial room we were given was very disappointing. The initial decor was great - funky Art Deco and definitely presented better than any hotel I have stayed at before. However the location of the room was very strange. Most of the rooms at the Savoy are normal hotel rooms in that they overlook the streets and allow natural light into the room. However the one window in our room overlooked the atrium type resteraunt and the elevator at the other side of the foyer. In a nut-shell, anyone who was waiting for the elevator could look straight into our room. The only solution was to close the blinds, consequently the room was dark and lights had to be turned on - day and night. This gave the room a very claustrophobic effect as there was no sense of night or day - I likened it to being in the casion were time stands still.

At night and in the early hours of the morning the noise and lights from the restaurant would rise up and wake us up - very weird. After two nights I felt I was going insane, we approached the staff and were moved to a much better room which looked onto the street. and allowed natural light into the room. I wished we'd said something earlier as they were sympathetic and I got the feeling that they heard this a lot. about the "shoe box rooms" I give a big gold star to management for moving us out of the room.

Rather than eat at hotels which I find expensive I prefer to try places around the hotel which offer much better value for money and a taste of the local cuisine If you ever stay at the Vibe I recommend The Sparkling Cafe located on Collins Street whch is a three minute walk from the hotel, you will pass a couple of other little cafes before you reach it. For $7.80 I had three pieces of toast, five pieces of shortcut bacon, a tomato and two poached eggs. Much better than paying $15 - $25 for the hotel breakfast. There is also a small supermarket that is located a little further down Spencer Street - one minute- which sells cheap booze (no need to use the mini-bar) and small snack type breakfasts (yoghurt and fruit) if you are on a budget.

All in all I was really happy with the Vibe and stay there again, but definitely recommend that I don't stay in the claustrophobic shoe box rooms.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The strange room we were initially given, however the repalcement was a big improvement
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

I'd probably stay somewhere else if I went to Melbourne again.
Location is okay. It really depends what you're there for in Melbourne and what you want to do to determine where to stay.

It's located right across from the south street station (train), 10 minute walk to the Crown (big casino/hotel/shopping complex), and a 2 minute walk to a tram that will take you across the city.

The room was TINY. I walked past some other rooms when the maid was cleaning and they were much bigger. I think that would have made a big difference for me comfort wise. They didn't have any others available so we couldn't move.

Food was average. The buffet breakfast was reasonable, but remember to use your $15/pp ticket otherwise it's double. They will give you more if you run out. We ordered room service for dinner once. It was average

Room was clean.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

Stayed at this hotel on sunday, aug 31st for one night. Booked this hotel again, as I've stayed here before. Above everything else...the location is excellent! Across the road from Southern Cross Station (interstate/country and metropolitan trains), SKYBUS and DFO (Direct Factory Outlet) shopping mall! Not to mention Collins Street trams (one block away), walking distance to many and varied attractions, including TELSTRA DOME (across the bridge), Crown Casino, Melbourne Aquarium, Victoria Markets...so lots of shopping to be done! The staff were very friendly and helpful. Special mention to the concierge who helped with me public transport cost (ie day trip for only $2.90). The Room was wonderful...very clean, large size, great views of Telstra Dome (I was over there for the football!), bed was queen size. I would stay here again and recommend it to all!!!!

• Liked — location, service
  • Disliked — breakfast too expensive. Should be discount for guests.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

We liked the location of this hotel as it was just across the street to the Southern Cross station to take the Skybus transfer to the airport, convenient to shops, transport and all this with a great price!.
ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE
The hotel was easy to locate just a short walk from arriving at Southern Cross station across the street. The Skybus arrives and departs from the airport to this station regularly we found the timetable on their website. It was very easy to buy the tickets before boarding, able to use the credit cards, put our luggage in the luggage storage areas on the bus and take the ride to Melbourne city. The station arrives on Spencer Street where the hotel entrance is just off from. We did the same to depart; it was cheaper to buy a return ticket rather than two one way journeys.
RECEPTION
When we arrived at the reception desk it took quite a few moments to be acknowledged and attended to. There was not a queue of other guests to check but two staff talking to each other. Finally we got to check in and were given our room and a very brief overview of the hotel. We returned to check in shortly after arriving into our allocated room as the room next to us was having an in room party, very noisy & requested to move rooms. Thankfully the hotel was not full and we were able to move to the other side of the same floor, new room no noise and much quieter. Later in the evening when we past the other room we first were allocated we could still hear the noise so were happy we moved straight away. Departure & checkout were fine with the hotel we used the left luggage facility and all was okay. One of the reasons that led us to book this hotel was the great price, good location & the opportunity to earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points booking through the Ready Rooms booking website. As we have done with other bookings in the past to earn these points, the membership card must be shown at the check in and check out with the booking papers. We did this even though the staff members who check us in said it was not necessary as the details were in the booking in their system. Details were noted & normally it takes a few weeks for the points to appear in the point’s tally. After letting some weeks pass we made an enquiry to the hotel if the points processing had occurred. After very slow correspondence we finally received a reply email saying no points were eligible for our stay. We sent through the booking details showing that it was an eligible booking rate and have never received another reply after patiently waiting before sending the next email. The hotel has refused to process the points, no reply to emails & wanted to note this for any future guest who wish to take advantage of the good price & location this hotel offers to ensure you get your points as advertised if you want to earn them as we didn’t. Not for the experience with the points would have graded this hotel above average for the experience.
ROOM
Our room was of a good size, TV, minibar, good storage, no view but we were there just the night so not of importance for us. The bathroom was not new, black and white in colour, amenities supplied and a shower over the bath style. The bathroom and room were very clean and we were happy with the room overall.
FACILITIES
We used the business centre internet and printing facilities located across from reception that requires key card access. There were many problems with the internet and the connection would be lost very easy. We returned to reception and the nice staff member came to assist us and reset our time. A part from the business centre we only made use of the left luggage facility on check out and had no problems. The tags were given to us and the bags stored behind reception in a room.
AREA
The hotel has an ideal location to Southern Cross station, trams on Spencer & Bourke Street and by foot to the Crown Casino area. It was very convenient to make the Skybus connections to/from the airport as we only had to cross the street from the hotel to make it to the station. There are also shops in the DFO shopping outlet above the station area, and in the immediate area some bars and coffee shops.

• Liked — Location to Southern Cross Station, Skybus terminal, price & access to public transport.
  • Disliked — After stay service in regards to not earning points - everything else was good!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Irish travellers. We stayed in the Vibe hotel in March 2008 for 3 nights. My parents, my husband and I. The hotel is exactly as you see in the website photos. The rooms were really clean, lovely bathroom with plenty of hot water. The reception staff were very friendly. The hotel was very very quiet when we visited however it was midweek so this may have had something to do with it. The hotel is located directly across from the train station and a large shopping centre which was fantastic on the cold day we were there. Dont worry there was no noise from the train station, the only down side is you need to take a tram to the good pubs and restaurants down by the river, it is only a 15 min walk if you are feeling fit enough. Overall great experience would go back again !!

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — lack of nightlife
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

I went to Melbourne on business and booked the Vibe Savoy off wotif - the retail price was over $320 per night but I paid $165. The room was good value for $165 but I think $320 is a bit steep.

The room was medium size and immaculately clean and more important to me - the bed was very comfortable. The TV was a bit on the small side but it was enough for me - there were lots of channels (for a fee) but I was there to work so the wired internet was of far more use.

There was a full size bath and complimentary bath robe and slippers - normal for 4 star I'm told but from my experience not always - anyway it was a nice touch.

I stayed twice - the first room had views of a wall and the second one had great views but all I saw was fog! Not the hotel's fault of-course but I thought it was mildly amusing. I left for work early and came back late but I'm sure the view was lovely...

I had the light continental breakfast for $18 which is standard in Melbourne hotels and the dining room was very pleasant and stylish.

Location was terrific for business travellers - across the road from Southern Cross station. You can get the air conditioned skybus from the airport and walk across the road to the hotel - very convenient.

All in all, a good place to stay - I'd stay again but I would book through wotif to get the discounted rate.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — nothing - it was very nice
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne? Share your experiences!