“Affordable, shabby but clean” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure North Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Mercure North Melbourne to your Saves list
Mercure North Melbourne
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Harker Street And Flemington Road | North Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria 3051, Australia (Formerly Rydges North Melbourne) (North Melbourne)   |
Ranked #132 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
“Affordable, shabby but clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed there recently with two others. Our room was very cramped, but was clean. It was definitely in need of an upgrade, but I was assured that this was being planned. The room was on the first floor facing the street and was quite noisy. The staff at reception could not have been more helpful and friendly. They were able to give advice about the trams and printed off information about other attractions for me. I didn't use the restaurant so have no comment to make about this area of the hotel. I don't think the air conditioner worked in the room, so I had to have the window open which made it noisier than it should have been.
My main gripe about the hotel was the cost of WIFI, which at 75c a minute (capped at $29.00 per day) was daylight robbery. Fortunately I found a cafe just down the road which had free WIFI so I was able to use that to keep up with business emails. This was a major headache for me and I really think the provision of cheap or free WIFI should be mandatory in a large hotel chain.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Swansea, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

it is now called the mercure..... bath room hadn't been cleaned from previous guests , blood on door frame and splashback, shower had mould everywhere . rude waitress in restaurant they take advantage of being close to children hospital to get there bookings

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is now a mercure rather than rydges. The rooms are quite shabby and poky, bed uncomfortable, and very noisy in first floor room facing the street. I've only just checked in so can't comment on breakfast. The street signage is obscured by bushes and the staff are completely charmless. I certainly won't be staying here again and will advise my employers to remove this from their list of recommended hotels in Melbourne!

• Stayed August 2013
The_Hotel_Team, General Manager at Mercure North Melbourne, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Frequent Flyer 123,

Thank you for taking the time for post your valuablle feedback. I am delighted to advise you that after a very busy first 8 months which took a heavy toll on our rooms, we are in the process of refurbishing all 70 hotel rooms. Works have already commenced and we envisage all rooms will be complete by December 2013.

I hope you consider staying with us once we have completed the refurbishment.

Best Regards,

Wagga Wagga, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in July 2013. Had to wait 15 minutes to check in as the receptionist was delivering meal orders to rooms. Allocated room 201. Bed squeaking, cause: missing the wheels on the middle castor. Swapped with castor from single bed. Bathroom has a flat floor and curtain - water seeps across the floor from the shower - makes a mess. Chairs/furniture grubby, old and tired. Windows dirty and inside fly-screen broken. Fridge has a glass door - turned off the fridge at night to eliminate the light. Air conditioning noisy when run at night. The switch for the elevator on floor two was falling off.

On the positive side, accommodation is close to the Children's and Royal Melbourne Hospitals. Staff were in general friendly and helpful. One waitress was not. Breakfast @ $15 for two was quite reasonable.

Room Tip: Room 201 is at the end of the corridor, away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lols_Boy,

I am delighted that you found our staff friendly and helpful. I will pass on your feedback, which is sure to make their day.

On the other hand I take on board your feedback regarding the rooms. We are in the process of updating the property and in particular the rooms. We do hope to have the works completed prior to December 2013.

Look forward to having you stay with us again.

Best Regards,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I could not believe there is no wifi in the rooms, only cable (have not used a cable for 2 years). Then on top of that it is $29 AUD for 30 minutes and I have to use it only the lobby !! Never seen this price anywhere in the world even at 5 star hotels, total rip off ! Then on top of that the hotel is in bad shape and badly maintained.
Staff was good, one bright spot ...

Room Tip: Don;t stay there !
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Alan K,

I am extremely dissapointed to note that you found our internet charges high. We are in the process of finalising a new supplier, to ensure we have the best quality internet connection at the best price. I do hope that this will be resolved at the earliest.

Kind Regards,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here to be close to the children's hospital. It was unclean marks on wall's, doors the food was a rip off for the price the lift did not sound healthy at all very disappointed in all areas this is after they have changed there name and I have not even stayed the night yet and I already want out

• Stayed July 2013
Bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I cannot write anything good about this place. The staff were rude, unhelpful and incompetent. The place was a dump even though I paid for a better room. The breakfast was boring and cold. I had to ask him to reheat my food. I was very happy to leave. However, it was difficult to leave because twice they gave away my taxi that I ordered. I finally got my own taxi on the street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mercure North Melbourne? Share your experiences!