“Nice hotel, nice price with an awesome location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rydges Melbourne Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges Melbourne Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   186 Exhibition St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #92 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Nice hotel, nice price with an awesome location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Rydges Melbourne for 6 night just last week. We flew in very early and because I'm a Rydges priority guest I had already been checked in so arriving at 7am was no trouble getting into our room. We chose to upgrade to queen spa suite on the 6th level. We found it very spacious and the bed was lovely. The room had some little issues but they didn't bother us really like the reception on both televisions was not perfect and the taps in the bathroom were quite loose and sometimes fell off in the shower which made me laugh because of the loud clangs hahaha.

The ladies at reception were very friendly when assisting us with directions to the gym and organising our Skybus hotel shuttle. I also had the chance to dine at the Locanda restaurant, the meals were very nice and the chocolate semifreddo for desert is so yummy. If you can get up early the buffet breakfast is really good with a combination of hot and cold as well the is chef willing to cook your eggs how you want them or make you pancakes.

The location is awesome located a short stroll from Bourke Street you can basically catch a tram anywhere or even just walk up to La Trobe street and catch the Free City tram. But your pretty much within walking distance from everything you'll need with the local woolworths just a couple streets down.

I've read other reviews about garbage truck noise in the mornings and I didn't seem to have that problem and we were on the 6th floor looking out onto Little Bourke street. Maybe we were deep sleepers but it didn't affect us.

Overall I'd say being a Rydges priority guest is definitely worth it especially if you can snap up the great special rates. This hotel supplied a very comfortable stay and I'll definitely be returning hear in the near future.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
Thank you for sharing your experience at Rydges Melbourne, it was pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, with the service at front desk and the Locanda cuisine.

Melbourne has plenty to offer, and we certainly appreciate the great location we have to enable our guests to access these locations with ease. We're particulary excited about all the great shows coming to Melbourne such as Jersey Boys and Chicago that is literally across the road from the hotel!

I hope we see you back in Melbourne again in the future.

Sincerely

1,042 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

My Saturday night at this hotel was one of those experience where a whole range of positives about the stay where marred by one drawback – not being able to sleep properly until about 3am.

As a Rydges Priority Guest member (free to join online) I was very pleased at check-in to be given a free upgrade from a Queen Spa room to the Premier Spa Suite. This suite is…well… huge, with a large bathroom and large king bedroom separate from the living/dining area. The sofa in the living area is a foldout bed so this suite might also suit two couples or a family looking for a spacious room in the city.

The master bedroom was gorgeous, with a double-spa bath tucked behind the bed and it’s own TV. Soaking in the spa while watching the tv was a definite treat and made for some very warm memories for the evening. So a big thumbs up in terms of room size and features.

As others have noted – the hotel does perhaps need to be a little more proactive on some items of minor maintenance. E.g. our TV had interference & spa-bath tap was loose. For me these are relatively minor things that I’m prepared to tolerate if I’m getting a good rate and especially so when being upgraded to an overall superior room.

The big negative on the experience though was the street noise. The room was on the fourth floor and the trade-off for having a corner room with great views was excessive street noise making it difficult to get to sleep until about 3.am. As most of the noise was from the nearby pub, things might be better on a weeknight. But if getting a decent nights sleep is a priority then you might want to let it be known prior to check in that you want a room higher up or further away from Exhibition St. As I was competing in the ‘Run Melbourne’ event on Sunday morning, I was less than impressed about having had such a poor and broken nights sleep in preparation for the event.

It was a pity that something (sound proofing? Thicker windows/glazing) couldn’t be done to reduce the noise in this room because it was the main thing that caused me to drop my rating back to a 3/5.

As to would I recommend this to a friend – it depends. If you can get this class of room somewhere else in the hotel (without the noise) than I’d say it’s a definite yes, even at full price. If this room (409) is the only one available then you might want to try and get it at a discount unless you plan on joining the crowd at the pub until things quieten down.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Rydges Melbourne, it was pleasing to read you enjoyed the spaciousness of the larger suites albeit that we need to take some action with the street noise. We are looking at options of being able to double glaze the windows in some of these rooms that face the street on the lower floors, this will hopefully fix this issue.

Sincerley

Adelaide, South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The room was clean, tidy etc. The bathroom, however, was very small, with the toilet at an odd angle, and I had to maneuver around just to shut the door - very unusual. The shower is within the bath and is likewise quite small. I wonder why they can't just enlarge the area by just having a shower alcove, and get rid of the bathtub all together, as I'm sure most travelers would prefer showers to baths.
I had a problem when I first got to my room, with my TV not working, a call to the front desk resulted in an attendant coming up within about 5 minutes and he fixed up the plugs etc for me straight away - very good service.
The breakfast buffet was quite good, although the layout of many of the tables meant that other guests came quite close to you as they were getting to their own seats. The selection was quite good, they also have a dedicated omelet/pancake chef on hand, which is a nice touch.
We had dinner there one of the nights, service was good, but there was a delay with the wine, as someone had misplaced a key to the wine fridge (don't quite understand this, but that is what they said).
The downside to a hotel in this location, not just this hotel, is that, being in the centre of a large city, you will get road noise. Melbourne is such a city. Exhibition street is busy. I could here dull construction noise and trucks from early in the morning, and I was 16 floors up. But the bed was very comfortable, and I slept quite well.

All in all, a very good hotel to stay in.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your detailed review of Rydges Melbourne, I agree with your comments that some of the bathroom configurations are not ideal, and is unfortunately the structural design of the building that is not easily changed. Removing the baths and making them showers only would be a possibility and something we may review at some stage.

Your comments on Locanda breakfast were appreciated the Rydges Rise breakfast is designed for freshness and variety to provide a more substantial offering to guests including the eggs and omellete cooke dto order. The note on the wine fridge seems odd and will be discussed with the restaurant as this doesn't sound very good practice. I am glad all in all you enjoyed your stay in Melbourne.

Sincerley

australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed for three days and didn't read previous reviews. (Lesson for all) Got a room on the 5th floor backing onto a side lane and for the three mornings at 5am a large truck collecting bins from businesses stopped outside our window (well it sounded like it was) and collected rubbish including bottles which were then dropped from a great height into the back of the truck. Sleep was impossible. The truck drove off at about 5.40am each morning. The TV reception is terrible with ghosting and continual lines running down the screen. There is mould on the tiles in the bathroom and we had to ask to have our room serviced on the Saturday evening. The hotel is in a great location. Staff we met were nice and efficient but would never stay there again

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2009
Appreciate your feedback and the comments on the noise will be addressed again with the waste disposal, the hotel has spoken with the company that does the hotels rubbish collection and they have assured us they are picking up as late as possible and will not crush the rubbish until away from the hotel. Unfortunately the other neighbours are a little more difficult to control, but will do our best to address with them also.

I will also have maintenance check all 5th floor rooms LCDs to check on the ghosting mentioned.

My apologies this disrupted your visit and it was disapointing to read you will not be returning.

Regards

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Arriving at Melbourne airport to be greeted by the driver we emerged out into the cold night air, a quick drive to town with Michael chatting away like an old friend.
We arrived at Rydges Exhibition St. Location Location Location situated at the top end of town in Exhibition Street Rydges is in an ideal location for a weekend in Melbourne. Adjacent to Melbourne's China town offering a range of restaurants to boggle the mind and walking distance to all other attractions, the MCG, Federation Square not to mention Her Majesty's Theatre across the road, the list goes on.

After upgrading to a queen suite with spa we shot up to the 6th floor to arrive at our room. Large with a separate lounge with a 2 seater lounge and a single seat, a coffee table, desk and chair, flat panel TV with a front panel with all manner of connections
The bedroom which was behind the 1800mm high wall also contained yet another flat screen abet one you could only view the free TV channels so relaxing back with a movie was out of the question. The queen size bed, how good are the Rydges beds perfection personified mmmm DREAMS BEDS are the best if only one could fit it in a suitcase to take home, seriously the world’s best bed hands down. Have found I can order one online so will consider this seriously over the next month. The pillows were also excellent and came from Jason’s of Richmond, will also have to chase these up.
The two way bathroom was accessible from either the lounge or through the large walk in robe. The bathroom was nicely appointed with a single spa and separate shower, the single spa is very very narrow with the wider end installed at he tap end which made relaxing back after a long day on foot a little difficult.. The room tastefully finished in marble contained the usual toiletries, wall mount hair dryer and phone over the toilet.
Over all the rooms although recently furnished have a dated feel due to the timber finish of the doors and surrounding trim, the hall ways exude tiredness and do need an update.
Last time we stayed here we opted for the KING SPA suite which was again dated but had the spa bath behind the massive king size dream bed overlooking the city wow that was the life.

Off down China town in search of food so many to choose from, selecting Thai in preparedness for our next adventure in 7 day s time.
Returning full bellied with a bottle in hand we sat back to enjoy the end of the AFL only to be sadly let down as the terrible reception or connections made viewing a real struggle, given that today’s home have HD viewing with crystal clear pictures it comes a bit of a shock when forced to endure a picture that is reminiscent of the days when my only television aerial was a coat hanger..

The bar area on the first floor was excellent and the service is friendly and outgoing and as you would expect from this standard of Hotel.
Awaking from that dreamy slumber was I asleep of floating on a cloud perfect pillows and better beds.
The best was yet to come as we awoke salivating for what in my opinion is one of the worlds best breakfasts on level one the bar is converted to a breakfast paradise, The ambiance is befitting of some of the best 5 star establishments as is the extensive range of food the service was excellent but on this trip there was an additional charge for espresso coffee a little disappointing and contradictory as they don’t charge extra for cooking omelettes or pancakes as required
A nice stroll to Queen Victoria Markets via Melbourne central stopping to look at the shot tower now encased inside a large shopping centre then QVM wow the food and the smells and the hustle and bustle a trip to QVM is not complete without the obligatory hot jam donuts yum perfect on a cold Melbourne morning. Walked back into the city through the lovely arcades where we stopped for coffee under the warmth of a patio heater. More walking a stop at the hand made candy store to pick up a large bag containing a huge lump of rock candy wow just $3.00 and on to Federation square to watch the busker and walk through the light and sound exhibit this incredible fusion of light and sound has a forest of luminous LED columns light up Fed Square during the winter months. The columns respond spectacularly to human movement and visitors are encouraged to walk, crawl, jump and dance their way through this interactive installation certainly a trippy experience.
On to the Eureka tower sadly the edge experience was closed due to high wind, but a cold Crown Larger at 88 stories up whilst overlooking the city negated that. A must do whilst in Melbourne. Back across the Yarra another busker this time swallowing swords wow street performers certainly add to the whole experience. A trip to Melbourne is not complete without a peek at “Chloe”: in the famous Young & Jacksons hotel opposite Flinders Street Station.
A beer and burger in Swanston streets food strip before heading off to Etihad Stadium to watch the Australian Rules Football. Truly one of the games best venues, seating that had you almost in the game and a roof to keep out the elements. Back the hotel for a night cap the bar was pumping so had tow or three before the bar shut, just as well or we might have still been sitting there at sun up meaning I would have missed that divine DREAM BED.

Sunday up early off to Lygon st for coffee before walking around the Melbourne Museum and Exhibition Buildings then on to Old Melbourne Gaol where they executed Ned Kelly in 1880 a truly cold and eerie experience.
Walked back down to Lonsdale St and to the Greek precinct with a stop a the Continental cake shop yum but what to choose I wanted one of each but settled for a baklava before wandering through china town.

Back to the Hotel and off to the airport and home.

Will certainly stay a Rydges when I next visit Melbourne.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2009
Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to Melbourne. It is refreshing to receive both a positve and detailed response from a guests experience at the hotel.

It was fantastic from someone in the tourism industry to read of your enjoyment whilst in the city and making use of the variety of amazing restaurants closeby, in particular the wonerful chinese cuisine found at chinatown next door.

The feedback on the room and the service was also appreciated and your points will be passed onto the rest of my team,

Hopefully we will see you back again soon,

Kind regards

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

I stayed for 3 nights at the Rydges Melbourne and had a great time.

The hotel looks recently renovated, with a modern rooms and public areas. The twin room we stayed in was a generous size, with more than enough room for our requirements. Beds were comfortable and extra pillows were supplied. The room also had a large desk and lounge chair, with a flat screen TV which had both free to air and a selection of cable channels.

The bathroom was small, but extremely clean and functional. The normal bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner etc) were supplied.

I only heard traffic noise one morning and did notice any other road noise. We did have some noisy guests next door one other night, but they seemed to quieten down by the time we wanted to sleep.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly - there was always someone available to assist with tram directions or general queries. One morining, we mentioned that out toilet paper had not been restocked and by the time we returned, this had been rectified.

We got an excellent 3 night rate on the Rydges website, which did not include breakfast, but we chose to eat in the hotel restaurant. Continential breakfast was AUD$22, which was somewhat pricey, but was the most convenient option. Breakfast consisted of a wide range of fruit, breads, crumpets, english muffins, cereal and sweet muffins, with juice, tea and coffee. A selection of smoothies was also available. A full breakfast could be purchased for $29.

The location of the hotel is perfect for theatre-goers, directly across the road from Her Majesty's, next dor to the Comedy Theatre and 10 minute walk from the Regent on Collins St.

Bourke St Mall / Swanston St was an easy 5 minute walk and Chinatown right nearby. Crown Casino and Federation Sq were about 15 minutes away. The location perhaps wouldn't be ideal for elderly tourists or those not willing to walk, but was very central for us.

If I could get a similar rate next time I was in Melbourne, I would definitely stay at the Rydges again!

• Stayed June 2009
Thank you for the time to provide feedback from your recent stay at Rydges Melbourne. It was pleasing to read you had an enjoyable visit and made the most of the location of the hotel.

There is plenty of great shows coming to Melbourne over the coming months including Jersey boys and Chicago, hopefully we will see you back soon.,

Regards

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

It's an ok hotel... Nothing much to 'wow' about it. stayed there for 4 nights at room 1313. The location of this hotel is excellent, just a stone's throw away from His Majesty's Theatre and the Comedy Theatre and very near the Paliament Train Station, making it very convinient.

The only problem is that the windows of the hotel seem to be very thin, or ineffective to block out noise. i could hear every vehicle pass by at night. which makes it hard to sleep. also sleeping on the bed sheets made my skin itch very badly. I've checked very closely and there are NO bed bugs. (so that's good).. My only possible reasoning is that perhaps the detergent / bleach they use to clean the bedsheets were not rinsed away properly or too strong. I've never had this problem before. So, if you have sensitive skin, do take note!

The noise and itch problem was getting severe that I had to change hotels (which i didn't want to due to it's excellent location) when my trip is being extended!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2009
My apologies that the sheets have allegedly made you itch and the noise has been a problem for you whilst staying in the hotel. I will discuss the cleaning of the sheets with laundry to ensure that they are using the correct mixture of laundry liquid. The machines are all programmed for wash and rinse and the amount of chemical used is kept to the manufacturers reccomendations - I have note recieved other feedback to date of this problem from other guests either which is puzzling.

Nice to hear you liked the location but unfortunately had to leave due to these issues.

Yours sincerely

David Bornmann

Been to Rydges Melbourne Hotel? Share your experiences!