“Rude surly staff and a bedroom the size of my airing cupboard” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

You added Rydges Melbourne Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges Melbourne Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   186 Exhibition St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #93 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
London, United Kingdom
“Rude surly staff and a bedroom the size of my airing cupboard”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Just awful. Exceptionally rude girl checked me in and totally ignored my supposed loyalty benefits. The room was so small I think my airing cupboard is bigger. I think even a Hobbit would have found the bathroom challenging as you can basically shower whilst you are sat on the toilet.

Trying to get my company to change my hotel reservation for my next 4 trips to Melbourne this year.

Am finding Rydges hotels are the pits and really don't care about staff nor room quality. A chain to avoid when travelling.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Indonesian first
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Great location, we had a brillant deal of $149 B&B. Room getting a bit tired however no complaints. You get what you pay for. Also had a great view.
A bit if traffic noise but I don't mind that gives you the feel of being in the city. Cheap parking $29 for 24 hrs.

• Stayed June 2014
Agnes Water, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

There is no remedy for a hotel ageing and unfortunately this is one. The location of the Rydges is fantastic, the staff very good and mostly helpful, but old hotels need lots of TLC and I dont think this one is getting it. One big plus was "free Wi Fi" something which should be a standard everywhere but unfortunately most places still rob their customers for basic internet service.

Now for the room, firstly there was no safe in our room. I would have thought by now that in a business/Tourist hotel this was an absolute must. There was only 3 draws in the wardrobe, fine for one person on an overnight stay but simply hopeless for two people for a week, we lived out of our case - definately not four star standard. The bathrooms have been revamped as some stage but nothing can overcome cramped bathrooms with a toilet cramped up next to the door. Mould is just unacceptable in a bathroom and ours had lots in the grouting and along the shower frame, it simply means it has not been cleaned properly. The heating/cooling system was so noisy that we had to turn it off at night otherwise sleep was impossible (reminded me of those horrid old airconditioners whose fan kept hitting the grill) Wine glasses not cleaned when room was cleaned, tissue boxes not changed when empty and in the business centre when trying to do online check-in we find the printer was out of order !!!!!!!! All up, 3 star and loosing sight of 4.

Room Tip: See your room first
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Tasmania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My partner and I spent two nights at this hotel in late May. It was picked primarily as a good city location but within a nice walk of the MCG for the Dream Time football game. The room size is ok but the bathroom is definitely on the smaller side, we couldn't open the bathroom door fully, only about half way before it bangs into the toilet. This isn't a problem but just be warned you won't be having a party in the bathroom!

The bed was comfortable but I was surprised to find it had a feather doona which isn't good for people like me with allergies. I asked the desk staff if they could change it while we went out to dinner and when we came back we had blankets on the bed instead which was a nice touch.

The location is good to china town and only a 5 minute stroll to the Bourke St Mall. Would stay there again if I was wanting to be at that end of town.

Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed for 5 nights late last month in a spa suite for a relaxing getaway in Melbourne to see a show, and catch up with family and friends. We have stayed here several times over the last few years, and have always felt well taken care of.

The location is, obviously, excellent (especially if one is in town primarily for a show as we were) but once again the service was outstanding - Amy in the restaurant was fantastic, along with several others whose names we didn't get, unfortunately. Excellent attention from housekeeping, as well.

One of the nicest customer service experiences we got however, was on our check-out day. We'd already been granted a late check out, but upon learning that we were trying to catch the end of a Stanley Cup Conference Final game, Chris Hurst (duty manager) and Alex (reception) made hash of our plans to run into the bar for the OT period (where the staff were, incidentally, more than happy to put the hockey on for us) and let us go back up to our room so we could watch the end of the game, with sound (I'm Canadian - this matters!) This was unsolicited, and a very nice touch.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Staying a t the Rydges Exhibition street in Melbourne is a fantastic experience. From making the booking until the end of our stay the communication was excellent. On arrival we err greeted by Chris who informed us that our room was ready for us along with the complimentary upgrade to a suite. It was only 10am and we were expecting to have our bags in storage for a while. On entering our room, we were very surprised to see such a huge room, divided into lounge and bedroom area. It was clean and very well presented. The bathroom too was very clean and very large. A great shower and the fluffiness big towels.
People have talked about the beds, and yes t are right. They are truly exceptional and such a great way to end each day falling into such bliss.
Each morning we had breakfast in the Rise on Rydges breakfast restaurant. What a great experience. A hotel can rise and fall on their breakfast offerings and this one is truly exceptional. The presentation is always amazing, the selection is huge and quite original. The star anise infused fruit, juices of the day, a honey comb dripping honey, omelet bar, roasted mushrooms, beautiful chippolatas and bacon, the best scrambled eggs and to die for poached eggs.
Friday night is happy hour in the bar with complimentary snacks on offer. What beautiful hors doevres they were. Not just chips!
The star of the whole experience was Chris who helped us throughout our stay with information and general courtesy.
Our next stay will be back here.

Room Tip: A suite is certainly a great option if you can get one. We were third floor and thought this was per...
Au
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I remember the first time that I stayed in Rydges Melbourne many years ago and with my return last week it felt like the charm of it was not lost. The only thing I miss is Bobby McGee's.
The rooms was quite right for my business trip stay and yes it is close to most of my customers. The best part most of the theatres are close by and easy to catch a good show after work. Really loved the full breakfast.

Room Tip: I have stayed on the 16th Floor and found the rooms quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Rydges Melbourne Hotel? Share your experiences!