“A little tired but otherwise a nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

You added Rydges Melbourne Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges Melbourne Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   186 Exhibition St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #94 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“A little tired but otherwise a nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Apparently I had a Deluxe Queen Room which probably meant a big bed in a standard room. Room was clean and comfortable. Bathroom probably a little small but serviceable. Food was good and the service is great.

The main issue for me is the TV system. Half the channels don't work and the wait to see what is on in between changing channels is pathetic. Must be whoever they use as a provider because I had the same issue in Sydney at the Rydges there for the previous two days.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your review Phil. It was pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our delicious food offerings and high level of customer service. I do apologise that you were not satisfied with the current selection of TV channels available. This is something we are looking in to at the moment and I will certainly pass on your concerns to the relevant departments. We hope to welcome you back to Rydges Melbourne when you are next in town.

Marketing Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Indonesian first
Wollongong, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The hotel seemed lovely upon arrival. I stayed in a twin bed room that was terribly small and the bathroom/toilet was also too small, as the toilet was behind the door which made it difficult getting in and out of the tiny bathroom.

The tv didn't have any decent channels to watch of an evening and to top it all off I was charged for things out of the mini bar and never even touched anything in the mini bar. When my friend went over to the milk and coffee it was several months out of date and no milk in the fridge. We won't be stating here again, 4.5 stars - I don't think so.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Wagga Wagga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for one night with a cheap bed and breakfast deal, the beds are very comfortable and the room was clean. We had great customer service from Christie, and we would definitely stay here again if we come back to Melbourne someday.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. It was great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your feedback to Christie, she will be thrilled to hear that you were happy with her customer service. It was also very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our very comfortable 'Rydges Dream Bed', they certainly provide an amazing nights sleep! We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Melbourne in the near future.

Traralgon, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Rydges is a nice enough place to stay...great location.....it's just not 4.5 star standard.
It's simple things too that seem to let the place down (based on reading other reviews)....I add to the list, no milk in the fridge.
Bathroom layout was poor, water goes everywhere when you have a shower.
And the "Dreambeds" they promote are just extremely soft beds....waaaay to soft for my liking.
Service was otherwise good....we were there for a conference and the staff who ran that side of thing were fantastic.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotels prime location and friendly and efficient customer service. I will pass on your kind words to our conference staff, they are a hard working team and it is always nice to receive such great feedback! I will have a chat to our room service staff as there should have been milk in the fridge, so I apologise if this was not the case. It is also disapointing to read that you did not enjoy our 'Rydges Dream Bed'. We receive fantastic feedback from many guests regarding our luxury beds, but unfortunately it is one of those things that will not be to everyone's liking. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Rydges Melbourne in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I am actually currently staying in the hotel as I write this review, but feel strongly enough to let people know what it's like.

Impressed on entering hotel, lobby is lovely and reception staff were great. Managed to get a room ready much earlier than expected and in a high floor as requested.

Food - haven't had breakfast yet, but the way they're going, I'm sure it'll be lovely. Room service very swift and delivered the food hot - tick! Food very yummy too, good presentation and taste.

Unfortunately, that's where most of the good news ends.

Not that I really care about room size, but I did notice this was particularly small in comparison to many hotels. Room relatively clean at first glance, but dust, stains, etc are clearly visible the longer you stay in the room. For example, the wall next to the bed has old dribble marks from a spilt coffee or drink, running down the wall just above the skirting board. Filter on heater/air con is filthy. Full of dust which is clearly visible and makes you not want to use it in fear of dispursing unwanted fiberous stuff into the air.

Bathroom is a disaster. Tiny little box, leaving you barely any room to close the door and access the toilet behind it. Good luck to any normal sized male trying to do this. Mould and mildew is all around the grout in the combined bath/shower, which also has a pointless, pivoting glass panel to stop splashes when showering. This again is awkward and unsafe to even unfold, and it barely does it's job anyway. Size and planning of bathroom also makes it dangerous to step out of the bath/shower.

Tea and coffee supplies reasonable. Minibar lightweight on choice, but pricing is very reasonable considering what you see these days for minibar purchases. Not too bad.

Entertainment - TERRIBLE!! Normal free to air tv, with a few cable staples such as fox sport and sky news, but that's it. Not even a music channel, history, tvs, the standard pay tv channels you'd find at a hotel.

It gets worse.. I had trouble finding on demand movies one night, to which I decided to read the overview of the hotel services. Yes, on demand was available, but I still couldn't work out how to get it, even after pressing all the buttons on the remote. So I called reception, to which I was informed, "oh, we've had it removed" - ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I know it's not the be all and end all, but seriously, what a joke. I'd be quite happy watching tv instead, but you're only supplied with 6 odd free to air channels and then just fox sport, sky news and nat geo. Your customers will not be impressed with this!! I know I'm not!! Two words - fix it!

In summary, great location, great food, friendly service. I have read many reviews saying stays in the king spa suites etc are great. And I'm sure they are. However, the standard rooms need a major overhaul/renovation. They are showing their age and they make the stay unpleasant. No one likes mould and stains and dust! In addition, many basic/standard services and in room supply levels you'd find in other hotels, are just not here.

It's a real shame, because the location is great and the staff are lovely and work hard. It's the product, in this case the standard type hotel room, that just doesn't cut it.

Food for thought. Unfortunately, I won't be back any time soon.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed review. We appreciate your constructive criticism, this enables us to improve and grow as a hotel, so thank you for this. It was great to hear that you enjoyed the hotels prime location, friendly service and delicious food. Ensuring an exceptional level of customer service is so important to us and we are very glad to hear you were impressed with this.

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the room services and cleanliness, it is not acceptable for the room to be any less than 100% clean so I will speak to the relevant departments regarding this. We are in the proccess of improving our in-room services so we would greatly appreciate the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel sometime in the near future to enjoy the new changes.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

The renovated rooms are good. Note that one section of the building is not renovated and is pretty old.
The restaurant has a decent variety of food.
Friendly customer representatives.
Good location.
Advise to sign up with GHA to get free internet access.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review Sam. It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed our high level of customer service, great quality food and prime location to all the best sites that this wonderful city has to offer! Our Priority Guest Rewards offer some great benefits including discounted accommodation, internet and food and beverage within the hotel. Visit http://www.priorityguestrewards.com.au/ to find out more! We look forward to welcoming you to Rydges Melbourne when you are next in town.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here through a wotif mystery booking recently. The hotel is in a great location, close to shops and at the MCG end of town so close to walk to events etc. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating with letting us check in 4hrs early, so that was great.
The lift to get to the rooms are horid, a long wait and always a line up, so you don't always get the first lift, this is frustrating. The rooms them self are tiny, outdated and poky. The carpets need a good clean, they were filthy and could see dust gathering around furniture around the floor. The bathroom is like a dog box, you have to close the door to even get to the toilet. The shower is over a very narrow bath, so my husband had difficulty. Our room had no iron but an ironing board. We were on the 16th floor but still heard a lot of street noise. The bed was exceptional and very comfortable, but was the only plus side. Unfortunately I would say this hotel is far from 4.5stars and wouldn't recommend or stay here again myself.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotels great location, with major sporting and entertainment centres at your doorstep. It was also great to hear that you were happy with the service provided by our hard working staff. I do apologise for the situation with our lifts as we had one out of action for some time, this has since been fixed and all lifts are fully operational.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our standard rooms, I will pass on your concerns to the relevant departments within the hotel to ensure they are disccussed further. If you are looking for a more spacious option our suites are a great choice! We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Marketing Coordinator

Been to Rydges Melbourne Hotel? Share your experiences!