“Great location and food, but that's it :/” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rydges Melbourne Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges Melbourne Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   186 Exhibition St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #89 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Great location and food, but that's it :/”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I am actually currently staying in the hotel as I write this review, but feel strongly enough to let people know what it's like.

Impressed on entering hotel, lobby is lovely and reception staff were great. Managed to get a room ready much earlier than expected and in a high floor as requested.

Food - haven't had breakfast yet, but the way they're going, I'm sure it'll be lovely. Room service very swift and delivered the food hot - tick! Food very yummy too, good presentation and taste.

Unfortunately, that's where most of the good news ends.

Not that I really care about room size, but I did notice this was particularly small in comparison to many hotels. Room relatively clean at first glance, but dust, stains, etc are clearly visible the longer you stay in the room. For example, the wall next to the bed has old dribble marks from a spilt coffee or drink, running down the wall just above the skirting board. Filter on heater/air con is filthy. Full of dust which is clearly visible and makes you not want to use it in fear of dispursing unwanted fiberous stuff into the air.

Bathroom is a disaster. Tiny little box, leaving you barely any room to close the door and access the toilet behind it. Good luck to any normal sized male trying to do this. Mould and mildew is all around the grout in the combined bath/shower, which also has a pointless, pivoting glass panel to stop splashes when showering. This again is awkward and unsafe to even unfold, and it barely does it's job anyway. Size and planning of bathroom also makes it dangerous to step out of the bath/shower.

Tea and coffee supplies reasonable. Minibar lightweight on choice, but pricing is very reasonable considering what you see these days for minibar purchases. Not too bad.

Entertainment - TERRIBLE!! Normal free to air tv, with a few cable staples such as fox sport and sky news, but that's it. Not even a music channel, history, tvs, the standard pay tv channels you'd find at a hotel.

It gets worse.. I had trouble finding on demand movies one night, to which I decided to read the overview of the hotel services. Yes, on demand was available, but I still couldn't work out how to get it, even after pressing all the buttons on the remote. So I called reception, to which I was informed, "oh, we've had it removed" - ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I know it's not the be all and end all, but seriously, what a joke. I'd be quite happy watching tv instead, but you're only supplied with 6 odd free to air channels and then just fox sport, sky news and nat geo. Your customers will not be impressed with this!! I know I'm not!! Two words - fix it!

In summary, great location, great food, friendly service. I have read many reviews saying stays in the king spa suites etc are great. And I'm sure they are. However, the standard rooms need a major overhaul/renovation. They are showing their age and they make the stay unpleasant. No one likes mould and stains and dust! In addition, many basic/standard services and in room supply levels you'd find in other hotels, are just not here.

It's a real shame, because the location is great and the staff are lovely and work hard. It's the product, in this case the standard type hotel room, that just doesn't cut it.

Food for thought. Unfortunately, I won't be back any time soon.

• Stayed November 2013
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed review. We appreciate your constructive criticism, this enables us to improve and grow as a hotel, so thank you for this. It was great to hear that you enjoyed the hotels prime location, friendly service and delicious food. Ensuring an exceptional level of customer service is so important to us and we are very glad to hear you were impressed with this.

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the room services and cleanliness, it is not acceptable for the room to be any less than 100% clean so I will speak to the relevant departments regarding this. We are in the proccess of improving our in-room services so we would greatly appreciate the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel sometime in the near future to enjoy the new changes.

Marketing Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

The renovated rooms are good. Note that one section of the building is not renovated and is pretty old.
The restaurant has a decent variety of food.
Friendly customer representatives.
Good location.
Advise to sign up with GHA to get free internet access.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review Sam. It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed our high level of customer service, great quality food and prime location to all the best sites that this wonderful city has to offer! Our Priority Guest Rewards offer some great benefits including discounted accommodation, internet and food and beverage within the hotel. Visit http://www.priorityguestrewards.com.au/ to find out more! We look forward to welcoming you to Rydges Melbourne when you are next in town.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here through a wotif mystery booking recently. The hotel is in a great location, close to shops and at the MCG end of town so close to walk to events etc. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating with letting us check in 4hrs early, so that was great.
The lift to get to the rooms are horid, a long wait and always a line up, so you don't always get the first lift, this is frustrating. The rooms them self are tiny, outdated and poky. The carpets need a good clean, they were filthy and could see dust gathering around furniture around the floor. The bathroom is like a dog box, you have to close the door to even get to the toilet. The shower is over a very narrow bath, so my husband had difficulty. Our room had no iron but an ironing board. We were on the 16th floor but still heard a lot of street noise. The bed was exceptional and very comfortable, but was the only plus side. Unfortunately I would say this hotel is far from 4.5stars and wouldn't recommend or stay here again myself.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotels great location, with major sporting and entertainment centres at your doorstep. It was also great to hear that you were happy with the service provided by our hard working staff. I do apologise for the situation with our lifts as we had one out of action for some time, this has since been fixed and all lifts are fully operational.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our standard rooms, I will pass on your concerns to the relevant departments within the hotel to ensure they are disccussed further. If you are looking for a more spacious option our suites are a great choice! We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

North Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Overall the rooms could not be faulted, and service good. This location allows easy access to Melbourne conference and associated facilities which is reason for many people staying. Generally, all was good, so cannot fault what is a corporate designed hotel.

Room Tip: Breakfast can be confusing as somewhat spread out but has all that is needed
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you for your review Simon. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the central location of Rydges Melbourne and our close proximity to conference facilities within the CBD. It is also great to hear that you were pleased with the service provided by our hard working staff and the large range of offerings at breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next visiting Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This hotel is very comfortable and offers the value for money when it comes to the baseline room they offer i.e. the Deluxe Queen Room. Here, I was staying overnight at the Rydges Melbourne in order to get a bit of headway on a report on a show that I was visiting that weekend for my Website. This is even though I am a Melbourne local.

Everything was working as expected and I was able to get a good comfortable night's sleep. As well, I was able to use the TV as an amplified speaker for my music-filled smartphone while I was working on the report due to the "media hub" jack panel that was provided in the room. Here, you connect your smartphone or portable player to the 3.5mm jack on this panel, turn the TV on and select 35 on the remote control to have the music from your device. The sound was similar to what is expected for your ordinary small flatscreen TV.

The desk was even comfortable to work at for a good amount of time. Noise wasn't as much a factor for sleeping and working - you still had what I see as a "baseline" comfort noise where it wasn't too silent or too noisy. I didn't notice any excessive noise coming about from the lift lobby which my room was next to.

The main aspect that underscored this visit was the staff who cared. I have regularly visited this hotel for coffees and lunches at Locanda and got to know the staff by name. Here, I was looked after properly when I was checking in and stated that I needed to set up an "are-you-OK" arrangement when I shower due to an incident a long time ago when I had an epileptic seizure while I was showering and suffered 3rd-degree burns. Here, one of the staff members noted this requirement as part of checking me in. Then as part of this arrangement, I rang Reception from my room before and after I showered and this went to plan with the staff member being caring about it all the way.

One thing to remember with staying at this and any other hotel, to make use of any of the packages like the "bed and breakfast" packages. They are definitely worth their salt and you have access to the full buffet breakfast as part of these deals.

Keep up the good work in offering the value-for-money packages and looking after the guests. A hotel must remember that any local person who frequents the property to eat or drink at the bars, cafes or restaurants located there or attends events hosted there will be likely to rent a room some day or recommend that room to somebody.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review Simon. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. It is so important to us that our high level of service is consistently maintained and it is great to hear that this is the case. for you. Ensuring our guests are comfortable and at all times is our number one priority and I will pass on your kind words to our reception team regarding this. Our accommodation packages certainly are great value for money and our breakfast is one not to be missed and we are so glad you enjoyed it! We look forward to seeing you soon, either for a drink in the bar or as a guest in one of our hotel rooms. Thanks again Simon for your continued support.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

arrived from sydney on the 7th of November 2013 , check in was late said they were going to call but never did, decided to listen to radio that didnt work . next day I drop my phone under the bed i moved the bed to find dust /rubbish and biscuits and crumbs I felt sick though id get a drink to notice the fridge was leaking so I inspected the fridge seals were broken and extremely moldy , I wanted to listen to races on radio that didn't work I contacted reception that informed that they had no replacements and told me to wait till tomorrow , unexpecteable filthy so much dust putrid not recommended we wont be back

• Stayed November 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have not stayed here for a couple of years. Last time it was tired and rundown, but this time a big improvement. I was upgraded to a King Spa suite which I could not fault, except for the view out to a brick wall (happens in the middle of big cities I guess). Lounge and separate bedroom, with a huge walk in wardrobe. Bathroom was massive with spa, separate shower. The suite looked like it had been recently renovated. Excellent king bed.
Buffet breakfast which was part of my package, could not be faulted, large selection of all the breakfast essentials, strong flat white and attentive staff.
I would go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your extremely positive review Pierro. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your most recent stay with us. We have done a lot of work on the hotel recently and the lobby and suites have had a spruce up which we are so glad you like! The breakfast is a fantastic additional to a comfortable nights sleep (especially in our 'Rydges Dream Beds') and it was great to hear that you enjoyed it also. We most certainly look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in town.

Marketing Coordinator

Been to Rydges Melbourne Hotel? Share your experiences!