“Beware of upgrades” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rydges Melbourne Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges Melbourne Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   186 Exhibition St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #82 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Beware of upgrades”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The main accommodation is in a tower block but there are some newly refurbished "suites" in a low rise block alongside. Unfortunately these are nearer street level an suffer from the noises in the laneway alongside, specially traffic and garbage trucks emptying bottles.

My stay in room 303 was further marred by noise from large air conditioners and light from large spotlights illuminating the building coming though curtains which did not fully close.

Earplugs and an airline sleeping mask helped but did not enhance my "upgrade", give me the higher floors anytime.

Room Tip: Avoid suites floor 9 or lower for less noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lisa_Parker_Rydges, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Oh dear! It seems we did not meet your expectations on this visit. I apologise for any inconvenience caused to you as a result of the room provided on your last stay.
I hope we can entice you back to the suites on a higher level at another time.
Thank you for your feedback.

898 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Arrived at the hotel and as parking was part of the 2 night package, parked in the underground parking next door. The parking spots are tiny. (The spots are the same size as your vehicle-no room to open the door to get out!) The parking attendant had to move the vehicle next to my allocated spot just so I could squeeze my mid sized Honda in. Went up to reception and was noticed after 30 seconds by the sullen receptionist. No smile or genuine greeting. Went up to the room. Rooms are tired looking. Stained carpets, windows so dirty could hardly see out. Bathroom floors dusty and had balls of hair in 2 corners. Bathroom was tiny. Very low water pressure in shower so would have been difficult to wash hair if had stayed longer. Swimming pool and gym were closed for renovations.
After seeing the sights of beautiful Melbourne, came back later to more friendly receptionist. Had a meal at their restaurant. WOW.....amazing food and service. I would come to Melbourne just for the ambience , beautiful professional meal and amazing friendly service. Try the grilled salmon.(shame the hotel wasn't this fantastic). Buffet breakfast in the restaurant was a wonderful 5 star assortment of cereals, breads, fruit, cooked eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns (yum!). Get in early for brekky its worth it!

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor for the great views of Melbourne.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. It seems we were a little "hit and miss" during your recent visit.
I'm surprised you experienced a sullen front office employee as our staff are all well known for being super friendly and helpful. I'm pleased the second receptionist you encountered was an improvement. I've passed on your feedback to our Executive Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager for their attention.
Thank goodnes you visited our restaurant and had a fantastic experience. Our chef and restaurant manager pride themselves on the quality of food and service offered. In a competitive Melbourne market, we feel we offer great value for money.
I do hope we are able to lure you back to one of our recently refurbished suites.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Ok Hotel but not stunning. Rooms are old but ok. Wifi and TV good. Bath old but clean. Bed too soft. Breakfast very nice, although good coffee costs extra...................................................................................

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your feedback!
I'm glad your stay with us was satisfactory. The breakfast buffet is fantastic, offering a wide variety of healthy and indulgent goodies. I'm sorry you found the bed too soft. Our dream beds usually generate very positive reviews.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
mt gambier
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

we were really impressed by your friendly and helpful staff. We were a little disappinted in housekeeping though. The first day was fine but as our stay progressed we found each day when we returned coffee cups hadnt been cleared or replace. I realise that we were travelling with two children and an overall cleaning of the room may have been more challenging but felt that dirty cups and spoons could have been refreshed each day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I haI am pleased your family holiday was enhanced by our friendly and helpful staff. I have passed on your comments to our Housekeeping Manager for his immediate attention and apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the near future.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend trip. I was a little concerned at the bathroom size after reading other reviews but it was fine. The room itself was well sized and clean. Walking distance from shopping, Crown and the MCG. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others. The buffet breakfast and room service were also well priced and good quality. The staff at check in were extremely friendly and helpful, couldn't fault the service at all!

• Stayed September 2013
It's great to see we impressed you with our friendly and helpful check in staff. They are a great team of guys and girls who love their jobs.
The hotel location is ideal for interstate visitors wanting to see a lot in a short amount of time. .
With walking distance to major attractions and shopping on our doorstep, you can pack alot into a weekend stay.
I'm glad you sampled our breakfast and room service delights and found them to be good value for money.
See you again when you are next in Melbourne.
Rivguy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at Rydges Melbourne last weekend & I was quite impressed. Good value, good location and clean comfortable rooms. One of the more impressive parts of the stay was the quality of the breakfast. It was obvous to me that they had made an effort in the breakfast area.
When checking out I noted the quality of the breakfast and I was told that it has recently been revamped. They have done a good job.
I would be happy to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, especially on the breakfast buffet. We believe it has to be one of the best in Melbourne for quality, variety and price.
I'm pleased we met your expectations and look forward to seeing you when you are next in Melbourne.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I am a Rydges member and have stayed at the majority of the Rydge Hotels when travelling for work. Generally great service,nice rooms, and pretty good value for money. Unfortunately, my most recent stay here did not reflect that at all (and I have happily stayed here before). The majority of staff (except for the lovely room service lad) were disinterested and, at times, surly. I also had an issue with a misplaced jacket - one minute I was told it was behind the counter waiting for collection, the next I was told it had been completely lost!

On check in, the lady on reception insisted, in a relatively churlish tone, that my employer had not sent my details through (when they had). Maybe the few people I dealt with were having bad days, but it was disappointing to get a churlish attitude from a number of staff, particularly when I was going out of my way to be friendly.

And, although the room service staff were friendly, I had dinner twice from room service (long days working) and it was pretty bad. I'm far from fussy, but I would avoid the room service entirely. And the elevators - pack a lunch, this is one of the slowest elevators I've ever been on.

Room, ok, bit small but functional, but agree with the comments above that this is overpriced for what it is. With a bit of research (particularly on Wotif), for the 170-200 a night Rydges is charging, you can find far superior accommodation in Melbourne.

The positives - location is great, some of the staff were lovely, the bar and restaurant are really nice. Room was spotless and clean. Surprise by comments above that the Hotel was filthy - I have stayed at Rydges hotels many times, and at all times the cleanilness of the rooms has been 100%. And the beds. I do love that, regardless of the Rydges Hotel you stay at, the beds are ALWAYS comfortable.

In short, not altogether bad, but remind the staff to be a bit more cheerful. I know customer service can suck at times (I worked in it for years) but you're paid to be cheerful and helpful.....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry we did not step up to meet your expectations on your last visit. Thankfully you have stayed here in the past and no doubt had good experiences.
I am disappointed to read your comments on our staff as we pride ourselves on our friendly and helpful staff. Having said that, I will be passing your comments onto our team managers.
I'm pleased you found the Rydges Dream Bed to be comfortable and the cleanliness of the room and hotel to be 100%.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused throughout your stay. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Been to Rydges Melbourne Hotel? Share your experiences!