“Great location and nice lobby” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rydges Melbourne Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges Melbourne Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   186 Exhibition St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #89 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Wellington
“Great location and nice lobby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Unfortunately that is the only real positive I can offer for this hotel. The breakfast staff were friendly, but couldn't hide thier exasperation at being busy. The elevators are fast....but I wasn't in a rush to get to my room which was large and had a nice view but had dirty windows (on the inside), a tiny bathroom, and an incredilbey noisy air-con unit which didnt really cool the room as much as the noise would lead to you to beleive it might! I'm told there are some rooms renovated recently - I'd suggest you book one of them if you have to stay here. The location in the city is quite good and if you can get a super cheap rate, in the new rooms it might be OK...

Room Tip: Renovated, I think they call them suites.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

982 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Rydges Melbourne is ALWAYS my go to hotel whenever I stay in Melbourne. I always receive excellent customer service from the all the staff whether it be at the check in counter, at the bar or at the restaurant.

After arriving into Melbourne off a red-eye flight it was nice to be told that our room was ready for us. We stayed in a queen spa suite. In our room we found that the rooms have been recently renovated and so had been the furniture. Unfortunately we couldn't figure out how to operate the new sofa bed and the girls from reception were quick to rectify the situation and in the end swapped our room and made the bed for us.

Housekeeping were attentive and always came back to clean and restocked room. I also believe the fitness equipment has also been upgraded since our last stay last year with 2 bikes, a cross trainer and a treadmill.

Only one tiny minor problem in the room having two television of the same brand if we changed channels of the tv in the bedroom part of the suite it would turn on the tv in the other part of the suite, which was quite funny. We figured if you turn the remote around you can avoid that problem.

Overall a lovely stay and will be returning very soon I hope.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Restaurant food was excellent, good location, Room was clean and neat... a little bit on the small size but good if you are literally there to sleep/change/shower. Didn't have to wait around long at reception and the pool upstairs was also nice for a dip when it was hot.

Room Tip: If you want a bit extra space I suggest a larger style apartment room if available.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Our company regularly uses the Rydges hotels for corporate travel and this hotel has always rated as one of the best ones and I can see why.
I arrived on very short notice to stay for 2 nights recently.
The hotel staff were a little scruffy at reception (shirts open a little too far) and I had to wait a good 10mins to check in as they were changing the toner in the printer!
Apart from that, the room I eventually received was exceptional.
Very spacious, quiet, comfortable, clean etc...
Room service was prompt but food when it arrived was a little cool, and it took me a whole day to find the fridge!
The complimentary water sitting by the bed was a lovely touch.
The hotel location is in an excellent location to use the free tram around the city circle, and there is car parking on-site (I did not use).
Upon check out I was asked if I enjoyed the pool... pool? What pool? Apparently there is a roof top pool. That would have been good to know in 35C heat!
Also, I asked the girl at reception to book me a shuttle and not only did she not know what a shuttle was, but when she figured it out she booked me on one that would have got me to the airport too late for my international flight!
Luckily I was able to hold me bag there until late afternoon and I checked the time to the airport with someone else who then promptly ordered a taxi for me.
My overall impression of this hotel is very good, although I think there is a training issue with staff when it comes to local information and presentation (did I mention the staff member chewing gum behind the reception desk or the un-ironed shirts?)

Room Tip: Book your own travel arrangement to/from the hotel & try & find the pool... I didn't kno...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I bought the CityHigh package for a great price for my boyfriend's birthday and we had a great stay on the weekend. Although the staff weren't overly friendly, the complimentary parking was straightforward and we checked in straightaway. We really liked our Deluxe Queen Room - it was a good size and the armchair was a good alternative than having to sit on the bed all the time to watch tv/read the newspaper. The aircon was a godsend (and not that noisy!) given the hot weather and the curtains shut out the light brilliantly (so much so, that we napped on the Sunday until midday!). The bathroom was a little small but as there are two additional mirrors (incl a full length one) in the main room, this wasn't an issue in getting ready for example. We had a great couple of hours by the pool but agree with a previous reviewer that it's a shame we couldn't enjoy a drink up there given the no-glass rule. The included 2 course dinner was really nice, as was the complimentary bottle of house red, but the service was very poor. Gave us something to have a giggle about but given the lovely romantic location, it did take away from the experience. Bed was incredible comfortable, buffet breakfast was amazing and we really appreciated the late checkout of 1pm. Brilliant location and perfect to complement our White Night adventures in the city.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 22nd floor and the aircon unit wasn't noisy. We had a room a decent distanc...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Was extremley dissapointed with the room. Was not good value for money. Website advertises it alot better than it actually is. I stayed in the queen spa suit and website advertises it as huge room with spabath. The room was tiny and really dissapointing. I have stayed at this hotel before in a standard room and the quality of that room was alot better. Really dissapointed i wasted my money

• Stayed February 2013
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Although the hotel is near the tram, it's already close to everything - business facilities, food, shopping and the theatre. Queen Victoria Markets and chinatown areboth nearby.

The rooms are small, but the beds are VERY comfortable. I stayed in a deluxe queen room, which is probably bottom range but was still well appointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Rydges Melbourne Hotel? Share your experiences!