“Reasonable but tired” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rydges Melbourne Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges Melbourne Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   186 Exhibition St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #89 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Launceston
“Reasonable but tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Spent a lot of time looking at properties. Order a queen spa room. Was reasonable size but very tired. The spa was a spa bath which knew it was but it was actually very small. The room had two air conditioners about twenty years old so the noise of a jet engine. Glad I did not pay full price but there is a lot better value to be had else where. It is a very competitive market out there.

982 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Indonesian first
perth, western australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Like a previous reviewer, I was staying in this hotel as part of a group of football supporters. I read all the mixed reviews and was wondering what to expect. We were in the KIng Spa Suite on the 9th floor. Like the other reviewers have mentioned, the road noise is very audible from that level and kept me awake as I am a light sleeper. The road noise was only drowned out by the very noisy, old air con unit whose compressor kicked in every minute (counted it) and made the whole unit rattle. For those wanting a double spa, this room (907) didn't have one, just a single one which is not portrayed in the hotel pictures. I understand though that some rooms do have corner or double spa so may need to specify at the time of booking.
Ok onto the good points. The staff are fantastic and very friendly. We had a faulty light in the dressing room and was replaced immediatedly on reporting it to the front desk. The roof top pool was a great addition. We had breakfast most mornings and since I was a little disappointed with the hard bacon and runny scrambled eggs, the chef made me an omelette to my liking. Many people in our group also enjoyed the juice "shots" that were made up every morning, a nice touch. Cleaning was to a high standard every day. When we accidently left the "do not disturb" sign on the door, a tray of fresh towels and toiletries was left at our door. A very nice touch which I have never seen in a hotel before. The room was very spacious, a separate lounge/bedroom area, 2 televisions and a really comfy bed and pillows. Mini bar prices reasonable. The location is excellent and within walking distance to the CBD and many major attractions. Would I stay here again, probably at the right price and the attraction of the great service delivered by the staff.

Room Tip: Join Rydges Priority rewards before you go (free) ad enjoy a 1pm check out!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Rydges has again become my hotel of choice for stays in Melbourne. I gave up on it a couple of years ago after a few issues with cleanliness. The particular room I was staying in for a couple of nights was not cleaned very well at all, when I got there or between nights. I'm not one to usually put in a complaint I just took my business elsewhere for a few years.

So you could say I've rediscovered Rydges in a sense. I'll list some of the reasons why this is a great hotel when things are working as they should

The value for money is outstanding for the CBD, particularly if you buy at the right time you can get a really good deal (Prices fluctuate a lot).

I love the bar downstairs, it's a good central meeting place to catch up with my friends who live in various Melbourne inner suburbs. I like my free drink on arrival too. The parking is very convenient and I found even when the sign was out to say that the car park was full on Friday night the attendants did their best to help me find somewhere to park (and we got somewhere). Parking is only $20-$25 for 1 exit.

I sent Rydges an email last week asking if I could be on the top floor facing parliament house in my Executive King room for my Sunday night booking because the view is spectacular, they said they can't guarantee specific rooms but would put in a request, I found out when I arrived yesterday that they were able to meet my request. It's really nice they go to the effort of making their guests happy. I was very pleased they'd done that for me.

I like to book an executive king room as from what I've read these are renovated and I'd read some horror stories about some of the older rooms but as I had a cancelled flight on Friday night I had no choice but to stay in a Queen Suite as the Executive King's were all booked out. To my surprise the quality of the room was fine and we felt really cozy having the extra room to watch TV in. The layout of the room felt very relaxing.

I personally am not a fan of buffet anything so it would be unfair for me to comment on this but I can say the quality of the in-room breakfast is excellent as is the variety on offer. It's great value for money when you get something from each category, the fruit comes delivered very fresh, the fresh brewed coffee is also wonderful.

Having a fresh coffee on the 22nd floor from my Rydges Executive King Room with the spectacular view of Melbourne as the sun comes up is a special moment for me, one I look forward to and hope to enjoy again soon.

Last thing to mention, I arranged 1pm priority guest late check out. My wife loves to sleep in, especially after overseas travel, I'm an early riser so I took off to visit my Sister in Yarraville around 7:30am and spent the morning with her, had a great catch up then got back to the hotel around noon to wake my wife up with comfortably enough time to check out. The curtains keep the sun out well. I don't know if other hotels do the late check out like this but I wouldn't even bother checking as Rydges were so pleasant about organising it.

I hope Rydges can keep up the excellent service they are providing at the moment as the property has a lot to offer.

Room Tip: High up rooms facing east have spectacular views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here on a work conference.
I am being quite picky, but that is just because overall, this was not a pleasant stay.
Chairs in the foyer were extremely uncomfortable. Some of the rooms that were booked for our group were not ready to be checked in by 5pm, which I think is highly unacceptable.

Secondly the roof in our room was leaking. We did not realise this until the first morning when we picked up the clothes sitting in the chair , and found them drenched from the water dripping through the ceiling. Concierge was told, and said it would be fixed. Their "solution" was just to move the chair and put a bucket underneath. This meant that we were subjected to an experience similar to Chinese water torture throughout the night, with the sound of the dripping.

Bathroom was uncomfortably small, with an inconvenient bath/shower. Housekeeping did not even replace our towels, instead, just folded the still wet towels and put them back on the rack so that we couldn't tell whose was whose.

Nothing great about the service from the staff. Breakfast was pretty average, limited range of eggs, dried out tough bacon, limited range of eggs, was told that they could not make me fresh fried eggs. However the fresh honey was a nice touch.
Lunch provided for the conference was actually quite disgusting, however their pastries and cakes assortment was quite nice.

Overall, really disappointing stay from a chain of hotels that is supposed to offer a reasonably high level of standard.

Room Tip: A good room might be one at another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed there for three nights with a group of football supporters, Rydges met our needs but was nothing outstanding. Good location, excellent staff (Particularly on reception ), good breakfast included, surprisingly pleasant rooftop pool and OK rooms. The toilet/ shower was a a funny shape & a little small - however it's not the only hotel in Melbourne where I've had this problem (i.e. The Windsor). As mentioned on numerous previous reviews, the room air conditioner is quite noisy.
One gripe was the 'hot' water at breakfast for tea and coffee, was only ever luke warm so I just stuck to the juices!
Summing up, good hotel for short stays.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

the hotel is in a good position for everything stadiums only 20mins theatres 2mins pubs 2 mins.i stayed with a large group of freinds all onn different floors.the room sizes were very small and the bathrooms even smaller.the airconditioner was very noisy but needed to be on as the room being small was really stuffy and had no fresh air.the staff were excellent in all areas.we arrived early 6am and got the room keys straight away.if only the rooms were bigger and more up dated they could then pass as a 4* hotel.the pool on the top floor is also dated but has some good views over the city.breakfast was very good had all you could think of to choose from.

South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I returned to Rydges hotel which warranted a good 4 star rating. Our room on the 11th floor provided comfortable accommodation for the two nights we stayed. The room was reasonably peaceful although there were some noises from street traffic, the rather loud room air conditioner, a gently gurgling toilet and the occasional load slamming door from other rooms. However we turned off the air conditioner at night and slept well. Reception staff were cheery and helpful.

The hotel is adjacent to Chinatown and in the theatre district which was handy to an entertaining performance of Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang, the musical, at Her Majesty’s across the road. It’s close to trams and trains and is only a few blocks from the city centre. The MCG is a pleasant 20 minute stroll.

We had booked a special deal for two nights and received value for money with this booking. We will certainly return again when another musical entices us there.

Room Tip: Always ask to be located away from noisy lifts.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rydges Melbourne Hotel? Share your experiences!