“Excellent location and great breakfasts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

You added Rydges Melbourne Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges Melbourne Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   186 Exhibition St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #97 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Excellent location and great breakfasts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The location of this hotel cannot be faulted. It is very handy to Chinatown, the parliament buildings quarter, shopping and food. Federation square is a 5 minute walk away. The free shuttles and trams stop close by.

The hotel itself is tidy and staff are friendly and attentive. Breakfast was included in our stay which was a really good start to the day.

I did have some discomfort with pillows But otherwise an excellent stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Great to see you enjoyed the hotels location and our services, we have received some really good comments on the breakfast since we improved it some months ago, I agree it makes such a big difference to have something new and refreshing for breakfast when you can be totally disappointed when staying in hotels as to what they offer guests. I hope we see you back with us again.

General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Indonesian first
NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Having stayed at Rydges North Melbourne property a couple of years ago and finding it in great need of refurbishment I was delighted by the modern facilities offered by this property. Good location, perfect for someone wanting a room to sleep in and the internal restaurant breakfast was more than acceptable. Bed was comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Appreciated the comments from a seasoned traveller and that we were able to meet your expectations with your travel needs. Although Rydges hotels vary from city to city, it is pleasing you have trialled both North Melbourne and our hotel and have enjoyed the facilities we offer our guests in the CBD.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

decent hotel for 1 or 2 nights. Good location to explore city. Tired hotel, and a bit of an eyesore on the melbourne cityscape. Slept well, but air conditioning from building was quite loud. Foxtel is nice addition. Pool and gym is very basic.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your critique on the building and the hotel, the property has been around for 40 years so the architecture is by no means modern with the look, however the company did spend substantial cost in upgrading the first two floors on the exterior to modernise the appearance which is generally the limit of height where people are looking when in the CBD. The interior on the ground floor was also upgraded in 2008 to a more upmarket look and feel, there is always things to be reviewed however and we appreciate this is very subjective to taste. The fitness equipment we have installed near the pool is by no means published as a gym, due to space restrictions, it only has a limited level of machines for guests not able to walk the block to Platinum Fitness First where our guests enjoy complimentary access to a full gym and its facilities.

Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here for nine long nights. I wanted to move hotels but was here on business and my company wouldnt let me. Reasons why my stay was dissapointing was mainly because cleanliness of room was frankly not up to scratch, fittings were old, and service lacked attention to detail
1) Light bulb in the walk in closet didnt work - I had to ring reception to get it replaced
2) The curtains didnt fit the window! This is quite unbelievable to me. I had to use my own stationary clips to get them to draw fully.
3) The room was not clean. I found peanuts in between the sofa cushios and pantyhose in the closet. The housekeeper should have found these things if the room was being serviced properly.
4) I complained about 1 and 2 to front desk but they were quite slow and unapologetic about this.

Overall the whole hotel is shabby. The bed mattress felt old and springy. My room was north facing near Exhibition St and traffic noise was quite loud (and I am a relatively heavy sleeper). The only nice-ish thing I felt about this hotel was free printing service the hotel offered.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Very disappointed to read of your unfortunate stay and the lack of attention to detail with the room you were in, I can totally appreciate your feelings in wanting to get out! I have passed this onto housekeeping to review and also spoken with the front office manager to ensure when we get comments from guests encountering these types of issues we handle them correctly and address the problem, in particular if the guest is staying for 9 days as you were. I can assure you we take particular care with training, but it seems we need to focus on this more from what you have stated.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights last week for business. Rooms were very quiet and no traffic noise. The buffet breakfast was awesome (and was included in our room rate), staff very friendly. Hotel was close to restaurants, shopping and public transport. Would stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Was great to see you enjoyed your stay and you found the service and facilities to your liking. The location is very popular for travellers and our new Rise Breakfast has been well received with its freshness and variety we have put together, I hope we see you back with us again

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice. The rooms are quite small but clean. However at our last stay I found a bug on the pillow just as I layed down, looked like a cockroach which I was not pleased about. I spoke with a manager who was apologetic. We had dinner at their restaurant which is overpriced for what you get. I had the worse oysters kilpatric, could barely taste anything except tomato on them. We ate quickly and left.
Its at a great location to see the city, theatre etc. Probably one of the best locations. There is plenty of choice for restaurants in the city.
Reception staff were pleasant. Breakfast was very good, pancakes were great.
Our first experience was better than the second. Not sure if I would stay again. Nothing stands out as being exceptionally good, nothing that would really draw me back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
It was disappointing to read you had an average experience on your recent stay and that there was attention to detail lacking in the cleaning of your room. The food in the Locanda Steakhouse is normally of a good standard and the menu is reasonably priced for the meals. The oysters Kilpatrick are also normally well patronised and the recipe has not changed in the years we have had them on the menu, I can only imagine they did not prepare these properly from your description. The recipe is unique, it’s not the normal bacon and Worcestershire sauce that some restaurants do, however this in itself has been very popular. I will certainly review this with the kitchen. Sorry you generally found the stay underwhelming, but can assure you we do try to make all our guests very comfortable and feel they have had good value for money.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I generally stay at the Rydges for both business and personal reasons when travelling to Melbourne and have always found the rooms clean and tidy. The bed is very comfortable and while the bathrooms are small they are always clean. I have always found the staff helpful and friendly. The last time I stayed there I left behind a sport shirt that I was particularly fond of. Upon contacting Rydges I was put in contact with Ken from housekeeping. As promised he contacted me when he had found my shirt and then proceeded to express post the shirt back to me without charge. He was very helpful and thorough in recording my details to ensure I received the shirt promptly. I was very impressed with the level of service and Ken's ' can do' attitude . Will definitely stay again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
It was really pleasing to see the procedures for lost property worked and Ken was able to locate your missing item and get it off to you without incident..I can imagine it is always a little anxious when you leave something behind and that you may doubt you will ever see it again. Glad we were able to assist and hopefully see you back with us again...

General Manger

Been to Rydges Melbourne Hotel? Share your experiences!