“exceptional staff, great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

You added Rydges Melbourne Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges Melbourne Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   186 Exhibition St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #97 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Port Macquarie, Australia
“exceptional staff, great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed here in Melbourne with a close friend after purchasing an accom deal (which turned out to be better value than we expected!). Location was fantastic, and we were able to check in a few hours early thanks to the lovely staff at reception. The bottle of house sparkling we had delivered to our room was great.

Besides the generous size bathroom, seperate living area in our room, and warm rooftop pool which we had all to ourselves, the highlight of our stay was definitely the staff at the buffet breakfast. Particularly Elvis on the floor, and Vickers in the kitchen who made us a customised bear shape pancake - they were constantly making us laugh, and put us in such a great mood to start the day. Very attentitive, and obviously a great group of people to work with. Next time we are in Melbourne, we will definitely be staying at Rydges! I might have to make it a regular trip each year now for my birthday :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
It was very pleasing to read of your experience at the hotel and that the team at breakfast made such a positive impact for your overall stay. It is often said that the people make a difference and it was very rewarding to see the genuine hospitality shown by Elvis and Vickas was on the ball. Hope we see you back with us again.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Buffet breakfast overall good chef taste the scrambled eggs!!!please go easy on the powdered eggs no taste and no seasoning I am a cook not a chef for what we pay for a full breakfast 50% real egg please!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
I can assure you we do not use powered eggs, 100% guaranteed for any tripadvsor viewers. The eggs are fresh and all come in 30 units to a tray 50gms 15 doz to a carton from Pace farm eggs. They are mixed into the jugs each day for the egg chef to make omelets or used for the scrambled eggs. If they have not used sufficient seasoning, this will certainly be reviewed by myself and the Executive Chef, as I agree that the scrambled eggs needs to be 100% right. I am also a stickler for this to be the case and it is not good to receive a note thinking we use powder eggs due to them not preparing them properly. I can assure you we take these issues very seriously and will be addressed.Kind regards

Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Booked 2 rooms for myself and colleague for business trip. I often stay at Rydges Melbourne as it is in an excellent location for my meetings. Was a little surprised that they couldnt find us rooms on the same floor, but that was fine.
The real problem was when I was about to go bed and found DIRTY SHEETS. I called reception and they found me another room (with the most awkward bathroom I have ever been in). I asked the staff member for an explanation and what processes they had to check their cleaners and she said that they would get back to me.
But that was Monday and I have had no contact from anyone at the hotel. So I guess they really arent that concerned.
Its a shame but I really didnt enjoy that experience and will now be finding another hotel for my business trips.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
I was very disappointed to read of your experience at the hotel, certainly agree with your sentiment that there is no excuse for dirty sheets and I only wish one of the front desk had of noted this so I could have followed up at the time to see how this could have occured. I apologise that they also did not get back to you on this issue, it is not our normal practice and I can only appologise for this behaviour. I have copied you note to all of the front office team and housekeeping and will follow up this to ensure this type of thing does not happen again. I hope we can welcome you back here again, ensure you make a note of this if you do make a booking so they will let me know.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Our conference was over three days and two nights, with participants from around Australia attending. We were made to feel welcome and looked after both for the conference and our accommodation.
Apart from clean comfortable rooms that offer great convenience to the Melbourne CBD there is a little diamond working there called Erin Gooden who is their Conference and Events Manager. Her standards are equal to the best I've ever experienced over many years of attending conferences in large hotels - from anticipating the various needs of people to the little extras that were not requested but simply provided to make the conference more successful. All done in an effortless way that belied how hard she was working to make sure our conference was a success.
Added to this was the overall level of service the rest of the staff offered: front desk, restaurant and concierge were all above average, making for a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for Erin to look after all your Events or Conference needs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
It was very much appreciated to read of your experience at the hotel for your recent conference and the efforts from the Conference Ops Manager Erin exceeded the expectations of the group. She certainly puts all her enegry and enthusiasm into the role and I recieve favourable feedback from the clients up there on her performance on a regular basis, this shows she's consistent, but I think in the case of your event she was very eager to make sure you had a great time as she really enjoyed working with you. The hustle on the last day with all the sales people was a great finish to the event, albeit with some of you a little dusty from your dinner out in Melbourne! Hope we see you all back here again soon.

Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel during a 4 day football trip to Melbourne. The location is great and easy access to MCG and Etihad Stadium. Close to all the Theatres and Bourke Street Mall. Rooms neat and tidy and service was excellent. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 15th floor, very quiet!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Fabulous to read you enjoyed our convenient location and that it was an excellent base to get to the footy, shopping and all other great points of interest that Melbourne has to offer. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

After an average holiday in Hobart we stayed for two nights at Rydges Melbourne. This hotel is great. We arrived earlier than expected and asked if we could leave our bags in their storage. To our surprise the lovely lady said she would check us in early (this could have been because a rude customer pushed in front of us to have a rant and rave about the air conditioning and we just smiled and not caused a fuss). We were on the top floor (2204 I think) and the view from the room was great. The room was huge!!!! Loved it. The bed was fantastic, air con was fine (nudge nudge to the person who whinged as we were checking in :P). Also great was the chocolates and wine which I forgot we had ordered surprisingly turning up to our room. A well run and classy place. Keep up the good work.

Stayed January 2012
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
It was so pleasing to get your comments from a senior reveiwer who had such a positive experience with us. I was really pleased that the team looked after you with your early check in, so often you find hotels sticking by the rules of not allowing you to check in until 2pm even when they have rooms available because 'that's the rules'! Hopefully your experience will be something that is shared by other travellers, as we certainly do our best to make the Melbourne experience a great one.

Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I’m a big fan of Rydges Melbourne. It’s got everything you need at a reasonable price, and the last two times I’ve travelled to Melbourne, I’ve really looked forward to staying there.

The reservation staff on the phone are friendly, and for the second time in six months, she was accommodating enough to knock the price down to within a few dollars of my work’s meagre travel allowance, which really is saying something.

First impressions are pretty good with a stylish lobby and efficient reception staff. There’s never a problem storing bags, although sometimes a missing in action concierge leaves it to those on the front desk. But nothing’s ever too hard.

Granted the rooms are small, but well laid out and very comfortable. It’s a contemporary décor, but is somehow really cosy. I love it, it’s what Melbourne feels like to me. The bed is fantastic with a nice, firm mattress. I always have a great sleep. The bathroom is a bit pokey though, but nothing too bad. However, do prepare yourself for truly weak water pressure in the shower.

The air conditioning system is probably due for an upgrade. During my last stay I had the cooling right down to 18, and while it did blow a gale, I still felt a bit hot and bothered. And the next morning when I went out into the hall, the refreshing cool signalled just how clapped out my room’s unit really was.

Nonetheless, the highlight is the food. My workmate wouldn’t shut up about how good the room service steak was, and the restaurant downstairs consistently delivered a first rate buffet breakfast and a la carte lunch service the last two times I stayed there.

The location’s great, right on the edge of Chinatown and within walking distance of the Flinders St Station, and plenty of cabs milling about on the median just out the front. There’s quite a few restaurants, cafes and pubs nearby with a convenience store on the next block, and a theatre on the other side.

I’ll definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
It was really good to read of your warm comments on your experience at the hotel, I will try to track down your details to see what room you stayed in as the AC doesnt sound like its working! The water pressure comment also was a concern as we normally dont have issues with this and sounds like the head needs replacing. The positive comments on the food in room service and the Locanda restaurant was really good as this is what I am always hoping to get from guests as I think the team down there do such a great job on providing better than expected quality. I hope we see you back here again and feel free to let me know more if you return!

David Bornmann

Been to Rydges Melbourne Hotel? Share your experiences!