“A good hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens

Save Saved
You added Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens to your Saves list
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   380 William Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% off
Ranked #19 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Liverpool
“A good hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens in Melbourne for three nights. We booked the hotel as a "Secret Hotel" deal from Last Minute at a rate of AUD130 a night.

After arriving at the hotel after our red-eye flight from the West Coast, we thought we'd be cheeky and ask if we could check in early. Unfortunately, they were at full occupancy but were happy to store our bags and let us use the showers in the top-floor gym to allow us to freshen up. We couldn't thank the staff enough for this small gesture!

After our lovely hot shower we were ready to hit the streets of Melbourne. The hotel is convenient to the city centre and would be particularly good if in Melbourne for business visitors as it is located on the northern edge of the business district. For tourists, the free circle line tram stops about 100 metres away from the front door, plus the markets are a short stroll from the hotel.

We returned after check-in time opened to find that we had already been checked in, with our bags already in the room. This was another nice touch which we were grateful for.

The room itself was a fair size, inoffensively (if a bit blandly) decorated and clean. We're not big on hanging out in our rooms when on holidays, so a comfortable bed and hot shower in a clean room are always big winners.

The staff made our stay incredibly enjoyable for us - always polite and helpful.

Overall, a good hotel in a great location.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

831 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

Stayed at the Radisson for a business trip. Overall it was a good experience - staff were polite and the room was very clean, a reasonable size and in good condition. The bed was a bit too firm for me (I have a pillowtop at home though, so maybe I'm used to a softer bed). Bathroom was clean, functional and not too squishy, although the shower was over the bath (which I personally dislike, but this was redeemed by the fact that there was a glass screen rather than a shower curtain).

I would certainly choose to stay there again for business. If I was having a special weekend away, I might stay somewhere else with a bit more opulence.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with a friend last september for a girls night out. We had a great time! There a a few nice pubs/bars in the area and the bar in the lobby had a good happy hour deal going. The hotel was nice, our room had a nice new LCD tv and a beautiful view of the park across the street. The staff were friendly, helpful and looked to enjoy there jobs (makes a big differnce). My parents have also stayed here (after I told them how much I liked it) and they too were impressed. Good place to star if you want to be close to the city attractions while still being in a nice quite area.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
ROME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Both my partner and I spent 2 fabulous nights at this hotel and found the location to be ideal. We decide to have a shopping weekend and found that Queen Victoria Market right next door, DFO not even a 10 minute walk and Melbourne Central. We shopped till we dropped. We ate in the restaurants and talk about “WOW Factor”, the food was unbelievable and the service was A+. We decided to sleep in the following morning as the bed was so comfortable that we just did not want to get out. The room we had was a Guest Room and talk about value for money. You could not fault it all. Summing up the service from the staff made us feel so welcomed. We will be back again before the end of the year. Excellent service overall.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I stay there often, and not much changes on each trip to melbourne, always same staff, 2 kates both have blonde hair, that is a bit confusing but they are both great.
main point is service is always consistent.
would recommend , it is not 5 star, solid 4.5 property, prices alway good, use either there web sight , but i still prefer to call over phone more personal.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Radisson for 2 nights.

Upon checking in we were given a room with two single beds. This was despite the fact we were clearly a couple and had requested a double bed. The attitude of the staff was dismissive at best.

I do not believe that we would have been treated in the same way had we not been a lesbian couple. I would not recommend the Radisson to any of the GLBTI community, or indeed anyone interested in the rights of the GLBTI community.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

I specifically chose this hotel because of the reviews on tripadvisor and it is the first time tripadvisor has let me down.

The hotel was a bland chain with no soul. It billed itself in its own literature as a 4.5 star luxury hotel - I'd agree with the word hotel in that sentence and little else.

Reception was a dull affair with staff appearing to go through the motions, all very efficient but no warm welcome. Each day walking through the lobby went unacknowledged, we were of course just another guest, but if you want to bill yourself so high in your literature then you should make an effort to meet your own standards.

The room overlooked Flagstaff Gardens, a pleasant, busy, clean and safe open space (one of the wonders of Australia is that such spaces remain so whereas in other large cities around the world they can be places to be avoided especially after dark) just on the edge of the CBD. However the hotel itself is a little on the periphery of all things Melbourne, it's very handy for Queen Victoria Market but is out of the way for many of Melbourne's sights.

The room itself was a standard room with nothing to recommend it, it certainly didn't have any of the luxury that the brochure boasted of. It did have one major flaw. The worst bed I have ever slept in. When I ask for a double room, I like a double bed. This was clearly 2 singles pushed together with 2 very obviously seperate worn out mattresses. I can accept this in a budget hotel but not a 'luxury 4.5 star' hotel. It also highlights a lack of attention to detail at the hotel. This was further highlighted when we ordered a bottle of wine from the restaurant. The wine list was poor with little choice, surprising in a great wine producing region, and the bottle we had was the worst bottle of wine I had had in a long time. It typified the fact the the hotel had made no effort and just provided bland overpriced fare.

There will be better choices in Melbourne and I can see no reason to recommend a stay in such an uninspiring hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens? Share your experiences!