“Incredible!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens

Save Saved
You added Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens to your Saves list
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   380 William Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Special Offer
Autumn Breaks & Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Incredible!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was our first time to Melbourne and we are a family of 7. After researching on quite some hotels, we shortlisted Radisson. Radisson had a great location as it was right next to Queen Victoria Market and very near to the CBD. It was very convenient to roam around. We just had to hop on the city tram which gave us a free ride. The free shuttle bus stop is also right down the street. Radisson was a value for money property. Rooms were great and spacious as we were upgraded to the business category rooms.
The staff were very helpful in guiding us around. No complaints around that! The only negative thing was the breakfast. As we were vegetarians, we were limited to crossiants, baked beans, hashbrowns, cornflakes and fruits. For the 3 days we stayed, the same breakfast was presented to us and we kind of got tired of eating the same thing. But nevertheless, we tried to make our way with that. As far as Indian restaurants are concerned, there were 2 in the vicinity of the hotel which was good enough. Also, there were 2-3 more Indian restaurants which were 2 blocks down. You can easily locate them via GPS or by googling. Since we had free Wifi in the hotel, it wasnt a problem.
Overall, we had a good experience. The hotel's location was the best (5 stars to that!). Everything was at walkable distance. Dont forget to get on the free shuttle bus as it would take you to all the main attractions and on top of that, they actually provide commentary as well. Great hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
RadissonHongquanGM, General Manager at Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear jainneha,

Thank you for taking the time to post a fantastic review on Trip Advisor.

In regards to the vegetarian breakfast options, we will indeed take your feedback into account.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel!

Kind Regards,
Steve Finlayson

738 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was my first ever visit to Melbourne, so I was looking for a comfortable, affordable, central, efficient and good quality hotel. This one fits the bill. I used my usual technique of sifting through the top 20 or so hotels in a city before picking one that looked the best value, and I wasn't disappointed. Its not much to look at from outside, and is a smidge out of the CBD, but that is being very fussy. It's a short walk down William to the CBD and inside the hotel, you are made to feel welcome and individual. The lobby is the usual business hotel lobby, with a boring and small reception and concierge desk near a lounge and set of very quick, quiet, clean lifts. There are some nice touches in this area, such as the abundance of newspapers of various titles on a table near the lift, near a large vat of iced water with sliced fruit in it - very refreshing after a flight. The concierge was amiable and kitted out in a bowler hat; quirky. Check-in was quick, but sadly my room wasn't ready. They did say that they are only ever available at 2pm, which is a little late I feel.

The room itself on the 8th floor faced east, overlooking a construction site. It looks like it has a way to go, that building, so if you are visiting in the next few months ask for one of the other sides.The corridors were mildly noisy once or twice, but nothing serious. The room was comfortable - a big, clean, comfortable bed. Nice chairs, good TV, good selection of teas and coffee with proper milk in the fridge (why don't more hotels give up the powdered stuff?). There was also hot chocolate in the tray, yum. There was an iron and ironing board and hangers that were removable, which I think says the hotel trusts its guests; I hate those hotels who feel it's necessary to have those silly hangars that can't be removed. Who on the planet is stealing hangers?

The shower had a rainforest head and a normal, wall-mounted head, surrounded by glass. Good cosmetics and towels. I ordered room service once, which was delivered when promised and was pretty decent. I preferred to walk the two or so minutes to the QV markets (turn right put of the front entrance) for breakfast, but I did have breakfast at the hotel twice over my four days. I was told to book it in advance to save five dollars, which I did. The voucher said it was open until 1030, but when I arrived at 1000 I was told by the restaurant staff it was closing. They weren't rude, but I did mention the discrepancy to Reception, who immediately checked and confirmed that it was still open and that I was able to eat. It was a minor hiccup, and I felt bad for the Restaurant staff - I didn't want to get them into trouble. However, after breakfast I was called in my room by Brad from Reception who apologised for the inconvenience and gave me a free breakfast the following morning. Thank you, Brad.

The trams stop just outside, as does the Skybus service for the airport (check Skybus website for details). All in all, I cannot fault the Radisson. The gym upstairs is adequate, but the highlight is literally the highlights ... there is a large spa overlooking the Melbourne skyline, with a steam room and balcony; if only I had used all of this more. The safe in my room wasn't working when I arrived and maintenance were quick to visit and fix it. Also, I didn't once see any housekeeping staff, either in the corridors or at work in the rooms. Maybe it was chance, but I thought it was great that they went about their work in such a subtle manner.

Room Tip: Ask if the construction on the east side is still going on. Ask for one close to the lifts, they are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson for 1 night whilst in Melbourne for a 2 day course. We stayed in a double room with 2 beds, we were a little disappointed that they were not double beds but having said that the beds were very comfortable and the sheets and bedding clean and crisp. The room was clean and fresh and the bathroom appeared new, it had clearly been refurbished recently, the lighting was very good in both the room and the bathroom. We had a winter special which had a complimentary drink, breakfast and a movie included in the reasonable price. We have stayed at the Radisson before and would not hesitate to stay there again when returning to Melbourne in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night and found everything to be satisfactory. Check in staff were efficient but not overly friendly. Rooms are a good size, bed was comfortable, in room amenities fairly standard and park views were nice. The bathroom is a good size but is a very strange design. The taps had overly long handles, there was very little shelving for toiletries and the shower design itself was odd in that there is a small tilt in the floor allowing the water to remain in the main shower area. However this design is severely inefficient as water from the shower spreads all throughout the bathroom and you are left with a flooded floor in the whole bathroom after a shower. They really need to supply a broom to sweep the water towards the drain after a shower. Other than this strange aspect of the bathroom the room is good value and comfortable. Check out was smooth.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Had the feel of a Holiday Inn Express on checking into the room and the hotel is a bit of a walk to anywhere interesting in terms of restaurants or bars.

As such, there is a temptation to eat in the hotel restaurant and while the food was great, it was five-star prices in a three-star hotel.

If I was back in Melbourne, I'd be more inclined to stay in the heart of the city towards the river, but the Radisson on Flagstaff would be fine for a one night stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is a little gem located across Flagstaff Gardens. The staff are fantastic - nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast is superb and the little extras such as cool lemon water in the lobby, free daily newspapers and a scale to check your luggage adds to the experience. Overall I will definitely stay here when I'm next in Melbourne. A great change from your 5 star sky rise hotels without compromising comfort. Well done Radisson !!

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

This was one of those trips where you don't do much more than sleep, shower and maybe eat (in room). As such, it had all I wanted, which was basically hot water, good bed and efficient front desk. My room was a bit small. A couple would have found it smaller. Pretty fair value, I would have liked to try the restaurant and bar, but no time.
Location is OK, on the edge of the city on the airport side so easy to to and away from. Staff very friendly, walls a bit thin but nothing really to complain about- a well run, good value hotel. I won't bother looking elsewhere next time.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens? Share your experiences!