“Dirty and unresponsive - Avoid at all costs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quest Fairfax House

You added Quest Fairfax House to your Saves list
Quest Fairfax House
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   392 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #85 of 113 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Canberra, Australia
“Dirty and unresponsive - Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We got to our room to find that the roll away bed we requested for our young daughter was not in our room.

I rang the afterhours number and requested one be sent up, When I unfolded it I found that there was no bedding on it. I rang the number again to request bedding, the manager returned with a doona, sheets and a towel. The doona was filthy and blood stained. I told the night manager that it was unacceptable and that I would not put that on a bed for anyone, let alone a child! The towels were ragged and tattered. I asked the night manager to please replace the lot. He returned with “the only thing he could find” two fleecy jet star blankets, with a tired toddler and frustration levels, I took them and went to put them on the bed, when I discovered that these too were stained and dirty.

My daughter slept in the bed with us to ensure she slept in a clean and hygienic bed.

The microwave in the kitchen did not work, We were unable to warm food/ bottles for my daughter - the main reason we booked an apartment .

Room Tip: No rooms - dirty hotel - avoid at all costs. Management unwilling to help. Sent formal complaint in...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Hurstville nsw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Very nice staying here central to all amenities. Room is huge especially in cbd. Love the style of the building and the reception has a welcome smile when arrived which makes the difference after a long drive.

• Stayed April 2014
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Dear Quest Customer Complaints,
I am currently staying in the Fairfax Apartments on Collins St. My experience so far has not been a positive one. Though the rooms itself is well above par for the cost (the shower set up is one of the best I have seen), the road noise from the street below is unacceptable to someone who has been on the road since 9:30am (Thursday 28th) and just wants to sleep. I have stayed in hotels on Swanston, The Chifley on Flemington and even the Enterprise near the railway on previous trips to Melbourne and have not had this problem. I realise that there is a number to call to voice my noise complaint, but given how frustrated and upset I am, I think I’d be unable to be polite to whomever the unfortunate soul was that answered my call.
I travel interstate regularly. I mostly do the Adelaide to Sydney run. The Balranald motel room which cost $50 a night and is as basic as it gets, provided me with a surprisingly blissful sleep to prepare me for the long haul of the Hay Plains. The bed was comfortable, and the room was well sound proofed. When I pulled in I was so exhausted, I did not care that between 10-15 trucks were parked in the truck stop area, and I took the room despite warnings by the check in desk that at 4am most of the trucks will leave loudly.
Upon returning to Adelaide if someone asks me where to stay in Melbourne, I will not recommend room 38 on a Thursday night unless you like listening to delivery trucks from 3am to 4:20am, hear conversations between 2 delivery drivers at 4:27am, only to nod off and be jerked awake by a second wave of delivery drivers (one who honked his horn and yelled abuse at something), or even perhaps at 5am listen to the office building across the way vacuumed (I saw it through the window from the lounge area having given up tying to sleep despite the comfortable bed). I switched on the TV around 5:30am because I can’t sleep when all I hear is beep beep beep with all to frequent regularity until at least 7am. This has been my experience.
My drive in, though carefully planned, was side-railed by unexpected tyre troubles. I had allowed for the road works just outside Ballarat (having been warned by a mate who lives there), and despite cutting out 2 scheduled stops and reducing my dinner stop in Ballarat to “order, eat and run” I could not make up the time without putting myself at risk. We contacted your front desk as soon as we pulled in to Ballarat well behind schedule as per instructions. No problem there.
Upon arriving at the Apartments, we made a mistake and entered the wrong building; a quick call to the emergency contact person resolved that easily. We were tired and stressed, and the contact person whom my “co-pilot” spoke to clarified a few things and did so calmly and politely.
I would write this in your guest comment feedback sheet, only I can’t seem to find a pen. MY pen is three blocks away in my car, and frankly at 5:31am, the thought of walking to get it and being reminded of the $50 charge I face to get my car out is enough to make me wish I’d stayed in a cheap motel outside of the CBD.
It is now 5:42 am. In 48 minutes, I will have been awake for 24 hours and I am hearing bottles being moved around, trucks breaking and taking off.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Fairfax house room 38 unless you are deaf.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Traralgon, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Good location, little noisy due to roadworks on Little Collins street. Decor is aged but bed was comfortable and shower worked well. Well priced . Reception staff helpful and friendly.
Onsite parking is very tight.

• Stayed April 2014
Devonport, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Had a 1 bedroom apartment on the 4th floor Queens street side and I have never been to Melbourne and experienced noise like it. No sleep at all. Asked to be moved into the main building and the rooms were nicer and a little less noisy. Staff were lovely but this hotel is in need for an upgrade to double glazed windows.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Apartment 27 first floor, general appearance good. Trouble is huge windows are NOT double glazed or in any way soundproofed. Nightclub across the street, drunks staggering down the footpath yahooing, idiots with their "duff duff' stereos driving around, sirens, yeah great night NOT. To tip it off after the nightclub closes at 5am the cleanup crew moved in with the tinckle of dumped bottles and street sweepers.
Why does the city of Melbourne & the state parliament allow this??
Don't stay here, pure and simple on a friday or saturday night, unless you are one of these night crawlers.
Quest staff are good, but powerless to remedy as these are privately owned apartments.

Room Tip: Dont stay in Queen St Apartments, apparently studio's in the main building (same as reception) h...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Our first night was in a 1 bedroom apartment in a separate building on the first floor. Decor was sparse, carpet lifting but clean, but little that was welcoming. The noise from the nightclub across the road went until 3 in the morning and then the rubbish trucks started - no sleep that night. Queried reception as to whether we could have a room change for the next night, only to be told that there was only a studio available but that it was quiet, but there could be no refund as we had paid through WOTIF. We took the studio which was actually much nicer than the apartment - cosy, modern and in the same building as reception - much more like what we expect from a Quest hotel. The downgrade was in fact an upgrade on all accounts as it was indeed quieter so we caught up on some much-needed sleep. Have booked to stay here again in July but in a studio - wouldn't touch the apartments again with a barge pole. Definitely need a makeover and double glazing on the windows.

Room Tip: If you want a good night's sleep then choose a studio rather than an apartment as the apartments...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Quest Fairfax House? Share your experiences!