“Meh...” 3 of 5 stars

Quest Fairfax House
392 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
“Meh...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed for a weekend in March 13 in their studio room as it was close to where i needed to go.
Location was perfect. I love little Collins st and it was only a very short stroll away to the bourke st mall, swanston st, the little cafes and other attractions in Melb central.
The room was interesting. It was comfortable enough and has all the things you need in a studio appartment. The size was big for a studio actually. The bathroom has a washer and dryer so it was good just in case you needed to do some emergency cleaning (which I did). The laundry powder they provided however was very industrial smelling.
There was a tiny little wardrobe to put your clothes in but it was not really functionable.
Overall it was a good room, the only negative for me was that it was really dark. The window was tiny and it was overlooking another building so no sun can get in. I really like the natural lighting so i find this room very sad and not very welcoming. In the end, I feel this room is only to go and sleep and not to relax. Keep this in mind if you are in melbourne to relax in your hotel.
The other thing I didnt like was the key as they are still using an actual key to get into the room. I know this is nothing for most people, but I'm used to using swipe cards as I can put them away in my wallet. Carrying a key for a hotel room seems very old school and I hate carrying keys around anyway.

The service was very average. They were pleasant and polite but I dont think they would make any extra effort to help you out if you need it. Example: when I picked up my bag before going back to airport, the girl in reception just sat down and told me to come in to where the bag was (which was right behind her) and get the bag myself. As I said, it's minor things and she was still polite, but it wasnt "customer service".
I guess I shouldnt expect too much from Quest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Ben W, Business Development Executive at Quest Fairfax House, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Hi Nniicckkmm,

As you can appreciate Quest Fairfax House is an older property and this is part of our charm with our large and spacious apartments, and we thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Quest Fairfax House, by receiving your feedback we are able to grow and exceed the guest expectations when travelling.

We are currently in the process of changing amenities suppliers and I have passed the feedback regarding the laundry powder onto them.

I apologise that while being our guest you didn’t feel the service was acceptable from our reception team, I have now spoken with our Front Office Manager who is speaking with all staff regarding assisting guests and the importance of reminding them that we are here to serve and assist our guests, not just to satisfy customers, and this is the big difference between Quest and other accommodation providers.

We hope that we are given the opportunity to welcome you back to Quest Fairfax House and hear more about your next visit.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We booked a 3 bedroom apartment direct with the property after an on line search.
The receptionist was very helpful and we felt comfortable with the arrangements,.The property was rated 4 star.
After clearing reception we went to the room ( 6 people) we found the bedrooms were not configured as requested/ not enough toweling,soap etc for 6 people / ensuite bathroom fans and lights did not work( could not be fixed until Monday). No airconditionig in Bedrooms only old fans ( advertised as airconditioned). We had loose power points in the bathroom .Rooms not serviced ( told we had a special rate which did not include apartment being serviced) ....only online/and oral comment was this is a 2 night rate.
Wrote to the Management and they apologised....staff were good .....apartment not up to Quest Brand standard ....apparently apartments are on Strata and each owner is responsible
keep for maintenance.......Be careful when you book....ask questions don't assume what you read is what you get.

Room Tip: Room we had opened onto lane way on 4th Floor....very noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ben W, Business Development Executive at Quest Fairfax House, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hi 8pints,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with Quest Fairfax House both the positive and negative of your stay.

The issues regarding the bathroom and lighting has been raised with our Maintenance team and has since been rectified, we have also requested for all of our housekeeping team to advise us of any maintenance issues during the regular cleaning schedules.

I have discussed and ensuring all staff are documenting in confirmations when rates are subject to conditions such as the two nights discounted rate is, I have also performed a full retrain with housekeeping on the stocking levels of Guest amenities in all apartment types.

Once again thank you for providing your feedback and we hope you will consider returning for a more satisfactory stay with Quest Fairfax House next time.
Regards,
Ben Warren
Quest Fairfax House
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great place to stay for the weekend or longer! We stayed in a two bedroom, two bathroom, two level apartment on level 5 which was spacious and had high ceilings. Upon booking the room I had specifically requested one which would have reduced traffic noise from outside. Some noise still filtered through to one of the bedrooms with the balcony but it was not loud enough to disturb sleep.

Kitchen utensils and amenities were sufficient. Great location as most attractions were in walking distance e.g. Chinatown and Crowne Casino.

Would stay here again!

Room Tip: When booking just be specific in what you want - the first time I stayed here I was placed in a room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ben W, Business Development Executive at Quest Fairfax House, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hi Crayyy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the feedback on the location and facilities at the property.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I read some of the reviews, and was a little reluctant to stay at first but I did and I can say that although the rooms are spacious and colourful. It does feel a little tired, but after a while, what hotel doesn't?
This property is so well located for anyone travelling to Melbourne city. Staff are great!!!

Give it a go, you might be surprised

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ben W, Business Development Executive at Quest Fairfax House, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Quest Fairfax House.
We appreciate the time you took to complete the information. I am happy that we provided you with accommodation that met your needs for your trip to Melbourne.
We pride ourselves on our service, location and the relationships we build with our valued guests.

Please feel free to contact myself or any of our reception staff should you wish to book again in the future, I would be more than happy to assist you.
Kind regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

shared an apartment with family and had a great time at the tennis, movies, restaurants and shopping. we enjoyed an upgrade on arrival. Close to everything we required and we found some new restaurants close by. It was very noisy the first morning with bins being emptied close by. the apartment could do with a reno but serviced our needs adequately, so good we booked again for next year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ben W, Business Development Executive at Quest Fairfax House, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Hi DeeluxeRiverspa,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valued feedback for your recent stay with us and im glad you enjoyed your break while in Melbourne.
We look forward to welcoming yourself again next year.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We have stay in a number of Melbourne hotels however, this hotel has a lot against it than postives.
The hotel is out of date and in need of great repair
1. Electrical fitting handing out of the walls
2. Creaking floor boards
3. Dripping taps
4. Some light fitting don't work
5. Shower head loose
and the list goes on on the good sideof the hotel is the front desk service was great all attendants have a great deal of knowledge and were very helpful. Hotel localation is quite good close to shopping, restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with Quest Fairfax House both the positive and negative. I am glad to hear you were happy with the service received from our reception team and will ensure to pass on your kind words.

If you would like to discuss this further please dont hesitate to contact myself direct via sales.fairfaxhouse@questapartments.com.au

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The best thing about this place is the location. Just a walk to Chinatown, other eateries, shopping and sights, not to mention the tram transport. I don't have major issues or annoyances with my studio room, although I notice a slight musty smell, and the shower spout not being securely fastened to the wall. Noise-wise, it's a quiet location in a narrow street. No problems with the after hours access.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ben W, Business Development Executive at Quest Fairfax House, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hi Lynkster,
We sincerely hope we get an opportunity to accommodate you again.
Business Development Executive

Been to Quest Fairfax House? Share your experiences!