“What a fantastic Location” 4 of 5 stars

Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   267 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #90 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Newcastle, Australia
“What a fantastic Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

When we first arrived we were greeted with lovely staff (I think it was the managers) very friendly and helpful. We booked into the 2 bed apartment with 2 toilets. The apartment had plenty of space the decor was lovely the rooms were nice and clean the kitchen had all that you needed. Great location walking distance to both Elizabeth Street and Swanston Street the eateries in the laneway were excellent. Will definately be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear travelisawesome3,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review of Punthill Flinders Lane.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the apartments, service and central location of this apartment hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Those readers familiar with my reviews know that I always cover the cleanliness and security/safety of a facility; and whilst I will get to those aspects in due course I wanted to talk first about what I think is the Best aspect of Punthill Apartments Flinders Lane

"Location location location" was written to describe just such brilliant placement as this facility has - it would be Impossible to be better placed in the heart of Melbourne's CBD if you want great access to the eateries of the laneways and surrounding delicious cafes and restaurants; access to the unique and different boutiques and stores without acres of mass produced sameness and close enough to all the major tram lines so no matter which direction you want to head you are only a few feet away from the relevant stop. I have tried a number of different locations in my stays in Melbourne but I will now Always stay at the Punthill Apartments in Flinders Lane while they present such a Fantastic establishment.

There are many reviews about the works currently going on at this facility - NONE of them had any negative impact on my stay.

My apartment was beautifully appointed - modernly decorated without a spot of beige in sight but so tastefully combined I don't know how anybody could not be impressed. Comfortable sofa and dining furniture, beautiful artwork, sleek blinds and then the cloud of a bed - spacious, SO comfortable, warm and the entire apartment made me feel very luxurious and spoiled - it was Such a pleasure to return to each evening.

The apartment was also impeccably clean with only a slight smudge of mould trapped in the shower seal that I am sure not even a blow torch would get rid of - it looked like it had been sealed in when first installed and did not move once during my stay so it was not 'alive' - maybe just the stain left behind from before the apartment was refurbished. My room was attended each day and tidied and cleaned AND this facility offers to let you help the environment by not washing your towels every day and Clearly have instructed their staff to this process as I was able to keep my towels and not be frustrated to come back to a clean set of towels each day - which has annoyed me at other places who claim to offer this service but then still take away your towels every day and replace them laundered ones. Punthill Apartments does what it says it is going to.

I felt perfectly safe at the Punthill Apartments on Flinders Lane with key card access AND a deadbolt door to the room. And it was Pure Pleasure to be warmly greeted each day by the hosts with general enquiries and chat - if guests wanted.

The only things that I would say did Not work for me at Punthill Apartments Flinders Lane is that there was no safe in my room - and it is always nice to have somewhere secure to tuck your money and precious bits when you are staying away from home BUT I consoled myself that perhaps these pieces are being retrofitted when All of the apartments have been refurbished - so it will be nice to see if that extra bit of protection is available at my next stay.

The only other thing I noted that was a slight 'down' is that there is no ramp at any of the stair as you enter the apartment building from Flinders Lane. There are only three VERY short sets of steps (I think it was 3 3 2) required to be taken to get all the way through the lobby and into the lift but when you are dragging heavy suitcases behind you, it would have been so nice to be able to push them along a ramp instead of having to hump or lift them over stairs.

NEITHER of those matters detract from the overall Brilliance of this establishment. I cannot say how Much I loved staying here - on Every level it was Excellent - location; hospitality and friendliness of the hosts and attention of the staff; value for money; facilities; decor; cleanliness; comfort and just overall - Such an Enjoyable place to stay.

I HIGHLY recommend the Punthill Apartments Flinders Lane and am literally counting down until I can stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want to feel like you are in Melbourne proper ask for a front room overlooking the lane - the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear theldag,
Wow! - Thank you for taking the time to provide your lovely review of Punthill Flinders Lane.
The team at the property will be thrilled to know that you found the apartments so comfortable, the location ideal, and the staff always so friendly and helpful during your recent stay.
A ramp at the front entrance was investigated by our architects, but unfortunately, due to the design of the building, we are unable to construct one because it would impede onto the footpath, which would not meet council approval. In the future, if you are having difficulties with your luggage, please do not hesitate to ask the staff at reception for assistance.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill soon.
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Can not fault the amenities. They were clean and semi-modern. Cleaned daily.

Internet is a joke, not free and is $3 per hour or $18 per day!!!!

Great kitchen. Bathroom is a bit older and water pressure was an issue, but you get that at most hotels.

Being on a lane way, it is noisy 24/7. Drunkards from local pubs / clubs walking up and down the street at all hours. The lane way is also used for deliveries around the clock and rubbish was collected around 4am every single morning.

There are works going on at the property, so the lifts aren't finished and there are tradesmen around, so no chance of a sleep in when there are tradesmen drilling holes into things in the corridors outside your room.

Central location, but I wouldn't stay here again. The lane way is too noisy.

Room Tip: Try an apartment on a higher floor. We were in room #106 and it was very, very noisy and bright.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear weens9294,
Thank you for your review of Punthill Flinders Lane.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed the apartment facilities and amenities.
One of the great benefits of staying in such a central location is the proximity to all city attractions, shopping and eateries, however unfortunately, to some extent, the inevitable consequence of staying in the heart of any city can be some noise.
The renovations are being completed floor by floor and work times are restricted to those allowed by local authorities. We will be replacing the lift at the property as part of the renovations too. All works are expected to be completed in approximately eight weeks.
Next time you visit Melbourne, you may like to consider one of our suburban properties - such as Punthill South Yarra Grand - which is only 3 kilometres from the CBD, but with easy access into the city centre too. We also have 2 other CBD properties - Punthill Manhattan and Punthill Little Bourke - which could be other options for you if you do prefer the city centre.
We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Punthill another time.
Dubbo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Went there for a girls weekend. 10 of us in all. We had 2 of the 2 bedroom apartments. The staff were friendly and we were able to book in straight from the plane. The rooms were clean and the location was excellent! So close to great eatery's ... And of course the Regent to see Wicked. We were able to get the free tram out to DFO and had an amazing time. All the ladies said they would definitely stay there again with their families on their next trip to Melbourne. The only negative was that the shower is in the ensuite which made it not easily accessible by others to shower while those occupants were sleeping but we managed. Of course this wouldn't be a huge issue for a family....

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear DoctorWhotravels,
Thank you for your review of Punthill Flinders Lane.
As you say, the family suites we offer are ideal for families with children, but we are also extremely pleased to hear that you and your friends had such an enjoyable stay too!
Lethbridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We spent two months at this location. The staff were always friendly and helpful. Location is amazing, Melbourne at your doorstep. Renovations were going on, but did not bother us in the least. The working crews were very mindful of guests. The elevators were a bit of a pain. Had to walk up to the 5th floor twice. But the staff were apologetic. I will say that one day we had to walk down as the lift would not come. I reported the problem and the front desk clerk kind of blew me off saying that they were working. The next morning, they did not come again. Come to find out they were not coming all the way up to the top floor,so the service department had to be called. It was a little frustrating reporting a problem and to be told I was wrong. It left me feeling not heard.

If I could make one recommendation it would be that the kitchens could be better equipped in rooms for longer staying guests. It was very hard to cook without a pan for the oven, or a pot holder, or only 1 bowl for a salad - there were 2 of us. We had to do a lot of fancy footwork to prepare a meal.

But this was minor. Overall we truly enjoyed our time in Melbourne.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear AddiesGrammy,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review of Punthill Flinders Lane.
It is great to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your extended stay in Melbourne. We only wish you had asked at reception about some additional cooking implements and pans etc as we would have happily arranged these items for you.
Thank you for your understanding about the lifts, and we do apologise that you felt you were dismissed by the staff member when you reported a problem. We will definitely address this with staff and re-iterate that we sincerely appreciate your tolerance.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

My partner & I stayed for 2 nights & it's the most amazing location for Central Melbourne! Downstairs is the best food alley with cheap but excellent coffee & fantastic eats!
We stayed in a studio apartment & it was a bit on the small side for my liking. Going between the designated bedroom area to the living area/kitchen, was very tight - please use indicators to pass But otherwise, great service, THE BEST location with everything you need just outside the doorstep. Great stay for the price!

• Stayed May 2014
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear rhiaan,
Thank you for your review of Punthill Flinders Lane.
As you say, the location of this apartment hotel is outstanding, and it's great to hear your enjoyed your visit to Melbourne.
Next time you stay, you may prefer to book a 1-bedroom apartment which is more spacious than a studio apartment, with a separate bedroom to the living/dining area of the apartment.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stayed at Punthill Flinders Lane for 3 nights in a 1 bedroom apartment in May 2014 for a total of AUD$468.
We were given room 411 which had a good layout and seemed more spacious than a previous 1 bedroom apartment we had stayed in last year. The apartment was clean, although strangely there was an iron and a roll of toilet paper in the middle of the floor when we first entered??

Location wise you are right in the middle of Melbourne’s laneway and arcades district and literally next door to Degraves Laneway – a great place for breakfast or lunch. A couple of restaurants here are also staying open for dinner now. Highly recommend the Italian restaurant towards the end of Degraves Lane (on the left hand side when walking from Flinders Lane towards Flinders Street).

There can be some noise from Degraves and Flinders Lane at night-time so request a higher floor not overlooking the laneways as others have mentioned and you should be ok.
There were also renovations underway during our stay. Not sure how long these are scheduled to go on for but the tradesmen are not permitted to start before 8am so didn't cause an issue for us.

Hot water was a bit hit and miss, with it running out during my husband’s shower on the second day of our stay. Have experienced this issue here in the past but from reading management responses on other reviews we thought it had been addressed – but not the case asat our stay a couple of weeks ago.

Punthill has a concessional parking arrangement with a Wilsons car park further up Flinders Lane. They will give you a validation card which caps 24hrs parking there at A$15. A great saving as some of the parking rates we saw in Melbourne were A$59 for 6+ hrs parking!

It’s not the Ritz, but definitely for the rate and location Punthill Flinders Lane is pretty hard to beat if you want to immerse yourself in the laneway culture of Melbourne.

Room Tip: Room 411 (1 bedroom apartment) is nice and spacious
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SherrySparkle,
Thank you for your review of Punthill Flinders Lane and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay.
We will check the hot water in the apartment you stayed in as it may have to be adjusted.
We do hope to welcome you back to Punthill soon.
Kind regards,

Been to Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments? Share your experiences!