“A great hotel in a fantastic location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Melbourne on Collins

You added Novotel Melbourne on Collins to your Saves list
Novotel Melbourne on Collins
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #33 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
London
“A great hotel in a fantastic location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

We stayed here at the end of our honeymoon in Australia and were very pleasantly surprised. As a chain, we were expecting basic, no frills, well-kept accommodation and our expectations were greatly exceeded. The hotel is in a fantastic location, right in the middle of the city but no noise from the street could be heard from our room. The staff were excellent, very helpful with all our queries and so welcoming, especially the porters. As we were on honeymoon, we were kindly upgraded to a king size room which was lovely. The room was spacious, well decorated, clean, well kept with all the essential mod-cons and everything we needed. The buffet breakfast was expensive which was a shame so we ended up eating in cafes. My only real issue with the hotel was the renovation work. I realise that they are doing the work to improve the hotel and once it is completed the hotel will be fantastic. However, we were not given prior notice of the works. We were not disturbed by any noise and didn't really notice that the work was happening but we had been looking forward to using the gym and the swimming pool which were out of action due to the refurbishments. My husband is keen on his fitness and the temporary gym they had provided was inadequate for his needs and i was disappointed not to be able to use the swimming pool. Other than this though, we were really very pleased with this hotel and had a wonderful time in Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, December 6, 2009
Dear KittyKat1981,

Thankyou for your feedback.

Most pleasing of all are your comments about our team. They really put their hearts and souls into what they do and they are always thrilled to see that it appreciated. I'll make sure the team get a copy of your note.

It's a shame our proper gym wasn't available when you and your husband stayed, but we are expecting it back on 18 December.

When you next plan a trip to Melbourne, please feel free to contact me personally.

David Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

Nice place. Comfortable quiet place Everything was clean and working. Only spent a couple of days here and was very happy. We did not eat there, but heaps of places around to eat. The best location. Close to everything, and staff very helpful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear JeanetteBrisbane,

Thankyou for posting your feedback about our hotel. We certainly appreciate your positive comments.

The hotel is surrounded by some great shops and cafes, some a little more hidden than others. Please feel free to contact me personally on your next trip, perhaps I can share some of our favourite spots with you.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

Stayed here for the winter school holiday trip. Can't ask for a better location than this hotel. The Lobby is nice and the restaurant has a good breakfast menu as well as good dinner menu. We stayed in one of the bigger room, it's very spacious however the decor is lacking. The carpet looks old and there's that old hotel smell...
The service is okay but not great. It is a bit pricey compared to other hotels but i convince myself this is because we're paying for a very good location so i can't complain.

And if you're staying right smack in the middle of colins street, you're not there to stay inside your hotel room anyway.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, November 10, 2009
Dear Madarame_baby,

Thankyou for taking the time to write.

We appreciate your feedback and are notably disappointed that our service was okay and not great. Your comments will certainly be used as a motivation tool at our next service review.

If ever I can personally assist with a future trip, please let me know.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

My partner and i are frequent travellers to Melbourne and we usually stay at the Sofitel hotel which is superb (but not as central). This hotel's location however, just amazes me everytime i step outside to find the wide array of shops, cafes and walkways connecting to other malls behind.

The rooms are of a four star quality with comfortable beds and decent pillows. The only negative comment i have is the tiny tv (about the size of a 17inch screen). The bathrooms have also seen their days - it was extremely clean but it just needs a bit of inspiration.

We also used the gym both days we were there. It is a small, but adequate gym (about 3 treadmills and 3 bikes) - it looks like they just converted one of the hotel rooms into the gym room. The machines ran well and smoothly. Cold water was also provided (although it was positioned next to the toilet so i don't know how sanitary that is).

While we were there, there was construction work which started above us at about 8am on a saturday morning. After a big night out, it wasn't pleasant to be woken up by vibrating machinery above. We complained to reception and were provided with 2 free buffet breakfasts. The result - no sleep but were happy campers after we filled up.

Overall, i had a great time during our stay. Would definitely come back again.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
Dear Worldly Gems,

Thankyou for taking the time to post your feedback about our hotel.

The location is definitely great, it would be difficult to find a better spot in Melbourne.

As highlighted in your note, the hotel is currently undergoing some redevelopment work. Thankfully the impact on our guests has been minimal, but there have been some noisy moments. We appreciate your understanding and are thankful your experience was not soured.

If there is any way I can assist personally with any future stay, please let me know.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel is thankfully undergoing a refurbishment. It is in a good location, but dull dull dull. Walls are scratched and white or grey, and it looks dated. The bathroom especially.
It is centrally lcoated though on Collins, and in the middle of a shopping centre (thats what my room looked over). Therefore its easy to get around.
Rooms are spacious and have the main things, but didn't seem particularly cared for or clean.
Due to the building work the fitness centre and pool were also closed - no prior warning.

It wasn't up to the usual Novotel standard, but should be good when renovations completed. Also note that you cannot collect Advantage points here as it isn't part of the main Novotel group unfortunately.

To get to / from the airport you can take the shuttle bus every ten minutes to the South Street station and from there you can get a free transfer bus direct to the hotel or its a short tram ride. Very easy!

its in the centre of the shops and tourist attractions, so easy to see everything.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Dear Essex Michael,

Thankyou for your feedback.

We are disappointed to hear that you felt the room product was not maintained well. I have discussed this personally with our Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper and can assure you the feedback is noted.

Whilst achieving 100% customer praise is our goal, we are always mindful that we can at times miss the mark. I can assure you that the Novotel will never rest on its laurels and will strive to deliver the best stay for all guests.

In your note you highlighted that you were not informed of the pool being out of action. Perhaps you can advise how your booking was made and I can investigate further. For future reference our pool will return to action, newly refurbished in early December 2009.

If I can be of assistance for any future trip to Melbourne please let me know.

Ballarat, Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

After a LONG day at the Melbourne Show we checked into the Novotel on Collins. The staff at the concierge desk when we arrived were welcoming and efficient. Check in was a breeze and to our delight we were upgraded to a large family room which had a separate room for the children. Our eldest daugthter had a flight to London to catch in the early hrs of the morning so it was great that she was able to soak in the bath and have an hours rest on the most comfortable beds I think we've ever encountered away from home before we had to take off again. Although we only had a short stay we were impressed by the quiet and comfort we enjoyed whilst at this hotel. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

My first impression of the hotel was disappointing, then I realised I wasn't at
reception, I was at the lower floor concierge! Further impressions were much more
positive.

Check in was easy, although the receptionist wasn't too impressed that I'd stopped her
conversation with a friend. I had a room on the top floor, noise in the corridor from
heating pipes was a concern, but I was relieved when I went into my room and it was
nice and quiet. Room was a very pleasant surprise, very nice indeed and quite large,
much bigger than any hotels I have stayed in for a while. View of Collins Street was
fine.

Room was brilliant for business, with a huge desk. All facilities were very good. TV
was smaller than other hotels,but that wasn't really an issue.

Location of the hotel was perfect for me. Close to my conference venue, close to shops,
walking distance to most Melbourne attractions. I got a taxi to the Art Gallery and
realised I could easily have walked there.

Room service was excellent, probably the best room service food I have ever had! And it
was still hot!

Bed was comfortable, room and bathroom were very clean. Staff were very friendly and
helpful. Concierge was exceptionally helpful.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, September 6, 2009
Dear FussyNSW,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback.

Your comments about our people are certainly appreciated and I'm sure the Room Service team in particular will be thrilled.

Over the years the hotel has established a reputation for being a great home for the business traveler, so it's great to have that message re-enforced by those that matter.

Please let me know if I can assist personally with any future stay.

David Wright

Been to Novotel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!