“Very nice hotel, unbeatable location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Melbourne on Collins

You added Novotel Melbourne on Collins to your Saves list
Novotel Melbourne on Collins
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
SUPER SALES : 30% OFF
Ranked #32 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Canberra, Australia
“Very nice hotel, unbeatable location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

We took the 1 night "romantic escape" package which included champagne, chocolates and bath products which were delivered within minutes of our arrival. On checkin (which was very fast and efficient) we were told we had been upgraded to a "King room". We were very happy to hear this but found that rather than a king size bed, it was in fact two large single beds pushed together. They were comfy beds, the gap wasn't obvious other than the fact that one half was noticably softer than the other. I would have no quibble with this but for a "romantic escape"... not very impressed!

The room was otherwise fine, average size - I didn't see how it was an upgrade, but perfectly nice, comfortable, clean, no complaints other than the bed. There were 5 pillows in the room of various firmness, so we could choose. I was a bit surprised to find the bed quilt didn't have a proper cover, it was just layered in sheets, but it wasn't a problem.

The location is primo - big tram stop at the door, between Block Arcade and a nice mall, near the best shops and cafes Melbourne has to offer. And amazingly there was no street noise or interior hotel noise.

The buffet breakfast was well worth it - liked the little touches like a whole honeycomb.

Would absolutely stay again, but will ask about the bed next time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, June 4, 2009
Dear MazzarBazaar,

Thankyou very much for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to pen a few words.

The quality of our service and our location are probably the most acknowledged attributes of the hotel. Our team get a kick out of what they do and love to get the feedback you've provided.

When we plan our next bed replacement, we will take your input regarding King-zips into consideration.

If ever you need assistance with a future booking, please let me know.

David Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sunderland, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

I prebooked this hotel in October 08, it seemed to have everything - city centre location, good sized rooms and spa/pool facilities (always nice after a day sightseeing or in the shops).
We arrived from Bangkok early morning, in the middle of a torrential thunderstorm, but this was no problem our room was ready, lovely big room with a very comfortable bed, thank goodness because we were exhausted and needed a couple of hours sleep before exploring Melbourne. We thought a nice relaxing first day, a couple of hours sleep until the storm passed over, have a look round the city centre and then relax in the pool before going out for the evening.
We had barely dropped off to sleep, when we were awakened to the most resounding noise I have ever heard I thought the building had been hit by the storm, but on looking out of the window we saw the source of the noise huge corrigated sheets being fixed to the sides of the atruim , obviously the rain had stopped play earlier, oh my God I have never heard anything like it , it was as previously described like a jackhammer, the noise echoed round the atruim and there was no escaping, we tried turning the TV full volume either way daytime sleeping was out of the question.
Then I found the slip of paper which said that the pool and fitness area was being rennovated as part of the work - double blow - noise and no pool, I was tired grumpy and very disappointed that despite booking and prepaying the previous October we had not received any notifications regarding the rennovations.
The hotel duty manager (sorry I can't remember your name) was very apologetic and even offerd to refund us if we wanted to move hotels or if we stayed he offered us free breakfasts for the duration of our 5 night stay.
We set off to look at nearby hotels and they were either full on some nights, too expensive, others close by were not of the quality of the Novotel. We decided to accept the compensation by way of free breakfasts and put up with the noise and I could live without a swim in a pool, there was enough water outside!
It was a good move as the work stopped over the weekend and by the Monday we were rested and up by the time the drilling started, and as long you did not to rest during the day it was ok.
The hotel itself is superb, rooms a good size with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, the pillow menu was great as my husband suffers from neck problems.
The breakfast selection was excellent the fresh honeycomb being a very nice touch, really pleased we took the breakfasts.
But what makes this hotel great is the staff they could not have been more helpful, from the concierge at the downstairs door to the manager - thankyou
and the location well if you want central Melbourne you will not find a better hotel,unless you want to pay the Westin price tag.
If we return to Melbourne we will definately stay at the Novotel it will be nice to see the results of the noise!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, May 19, 2009
Dear Makems-r-us,

Thankyou for your taking the time to pass on your feedback.

I note how pleased you were with the service provided by our staff. Our team pride themselves on the sincerity of their service, so it's always great to hear that it matters equally to our guests.

As mentioned in other guest feedback, we do pass on all commentary to our team. All feedback makes an impact on them, but nice comments are always warmly accepted.

We appreciate your understanding with the building noise during your stay. The good news is, the majority of the high impact noise is now behind us. And yes, we believe the disruption will be worth it in the long run and hope that you do to.

If you are ever planning on revisiting Melbourne, please let me know so I can personally attend to your booking.

Sussex, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

Fab place to stay. We arrived looking a bit ragged at 11pm after 30 hours of travelling with two small children , but the staff were great and didn't bat an eyelid. The room was spotless and the beds were SO comfortable. Our windows looked down on Collins Street, but we couldn't hear a thing. Free wi-fi is available at the shopping centre a couple of doors up.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, May 6, 2009
Dear Betty Clucker,

Thankyou very much for your feedback.

Being a father myself I can certainly appreciate how important a seemless arrival is after a long flight.

Please rest assured that comments such as yours make a significant difference to our team. I will personally make sure that yours are passed on.

If I can ever assist with a future booking, please let me know.

Melbourne, Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

Stayed here after a work function, the rooms were clean, but small. The bed was comfortable and plenty of space for you clothes in the huge double wardrobe. Small mini-bar, great shower. The breakfast buffet is delicious, you have to have it if you stay here. Great shopping as you are dead centre in the city.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Dear Simeeee,

We appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback.

Novotel Hotels have put a significant amount of energy into providing the best breakfast. Being biassed, we believe ours to be the best but I'm sure that you'll find all Novotel breakfasts equally rewarding.

If there is any way I can assist personally with your next trip to Melbourne please let me know.

Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We stayed at the Novotel for 2 nights on our way home from New Zealand. Fortunately, our stay was over a weekend so we were not disturbed by the building noise. We were slightly disappointed that the pool was being renovated, but it didn't spoil our time in Melbourne. The room was comfortable and overlooked the shopping mall.

Breakfast was well organised and we were shown to our table and then could help ourselves from the enornmous buffet, which included a large honeycomb! The staff were constantly checking to ensure that everything was available.

The Italian restaurant I had found on the internet was closed on a Sunday evening and Elyse from the concierge desk recommended as an alternative, Tutto Bene at Southgate. She made a reservation on our behalf, which was just as well as the restaurant was packed. The meal we had there was 1 of the best of our trip and we were served by a very enthusiastic young waiter, who obviously thoroughly enjoyed his job and loved food.

The hotel is close to the river and shops and all the staff were friendly and efficient.

Dear Birds29,

Thankyou very much for choosing us on your last Melbourne trip. We particularly appreciate your kind words.

I will ensure that our team receive a copy and that Elyse gets a pat on the back for the recommendation. On your next trip perhaps we could suggest a few more great eats in Melbourne.

If I can assist personally with your next visit please let me know.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

We stayed 1 night in this hotel and were jackhammered out of bed at 7.30. When telling the receptionist the noise of construction was shocking she said: i'm sorry to hear that.
Ha! she must have meant: i am sorry OF HEARING that, as half the hotel guests have been complaining about the noise for months.
Other than that we loved the hotel, service was very professional and friendly, dinner was fantastic. The room ("supereriour king") was smaller than expected, think in retrospect it is their standard room. Would probably go for a bigger room type next time cause will definitely stay again when in the city. When they finish the renovations....

Dear Love2swim,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a comment.

We really appreciate your comments about our service. The team are very passionate about the hotel and will appreciate your feedback.

It is disappointing to hear that the noise associated with the redevelopment project affected your stay. How your feedback was initially handled was unacceptable and will be discussed.

On a positive note, the majority of the major noise associated with this project is now behind us.

We would like an opportunity to invite you back to experience our true service, less the jack hammering. If you would like to consider our offer please let me know.

qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

I have stayed a quite a few places and I have to say this is the best ever. The rooms are very attractive, clean and comfortable. Friendly Staff were more than happy to assist any way they could. I brought my baby in a porta-cot and there was so much room for him. The staff were great and even offered to help me set it up. Big wall mounted plasma, very comfortable bed, nice place to stay, fantastic buffet breakfast and so conveniently located to all shops... :D
If there were any drawbacks they were so minor - the phone was dead but kept ringing for messages but someone was up there promptly to take it away and replace it. We were in an executive room and the view was really ordinary but it sounds like the exec. suites have a nice view, if you are driving it may be possible to drop off luggage there and park somewhere cheaper but being Collins street you would have had to find a parking lot somewhere and you don't know how safe your car is. or as they offered, valet parking - just be aware that it's $35 per night and you need to give about 1/2hr notice to collect your car. We noticed a small note in our car when we drove out in the morning saying 'parking vehicle is at owners risk.' Then again if you were to park anywhere else it's at your own risk too. I kept telling baby that we would go in the pool but it was being renovated. The gym was also being renovated but they made an extra room with enough cardio and weight equipment - they also had a note in the room saying if we wanted to use the pool to see reception and they would make an alternative arrangement, so if you're bringing kids please don't tell them you're taking them swimming before you check and speak to them first about the alternative arrangement they might have.
Other than that....Couldn't ask for anymore =)

Dear Bright Star,

Thankyou very much for your kind words.

Our team are passionate about service and do their best to deliver every time. I'll ensure they get your feedback and am sure they'll be thrilled.

We appreciate you being understanding with the pool rennovation. We expect to have our brand new pool back on line this October, fingers crossed.

Please let me know if I can assist personally with any future stay at our hotel.

David Wright

Been to Novotel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!