“Great service plus great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Melbourne on Collins

Save Saved
You added Novotel Melbourne on Collins to your Saves list
Novotel Melbourne on Collins
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #30 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Great service plus great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in an Executive Suite from 27/2/09 for 3 nights on our first trip to Melbourne. We arrived at the hotel at 8am after a red-eye flight from Perth and the room was ready for us and we were able to check in straight away, which was a godsend.

The room was spacious and very clean with a comfy king size bed. The TV was a wall mounted flat screen, big enough to see from the bed. The bathroom was very big with a shower/bath and the basic amenities, all in good order.

Our view was out into Australia on Collins shopping centre, which was weird to begin with but it really made the room quieter than would be normal if the windows faced outside.

We didn’t have room service or use any other amenities in the hotel so I can’t comment on them, they are re-furbishing the pool so that wasn’t available, but it wasn’t missed.

The only negative point was there was some building work being done across the shopping centre and there was a jackhammer going for about 1/2 an hour on the Monday morning at about 8am, but according to my hubby I slept through it!!

The room was cleaned immaculately each day as well. The location was one of the greater things about the hotel. It was within easy walking distance of everything we went to. Haigh's chocolate is right next door. We highly recommend a Creperie called AIX that is down the alleyway across the road.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, March 20, 2009
Dear Hipposha,

Our team really appreciate receiving feedback, particularly a response such as yours. I'll make sure your words are passed on.

There definitely are some terrific little cafes around the Novotel, and AIX is definitely one of the best. You should give Sushi Monger a try next time, well worth lining up for.

Feel free to contact me directly when you next make the trip over and I'll give you a couple more places definitely worth the visit.

2,882 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
misskylie20
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

We stayed here for a night out on the town. After a very minor problem with the room, we were switched by the very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were nice but I think over priced as I have stayed in many other hotels in the CBD that were cheaper and alot nicer. I would say the best thing about this hotel would be it's location, and i'm guessing that's why it's expensive.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, February 28, 2009
Hi MissKylie20,

Thankyou for your feedback.

Our location is certainly one of our strongest attributes, and many of our regular guests love how close we are to everything.

We appreciate your honesty about our price and would like to hear more about your stay in other hotels. It would go a long way toward assisting us in making improvements can really deliver on value.

If you could let me know, we'd really appreciate it. I have left you an email message on your profile.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights in total in early Dec 08, and really enjoyed it!

Although things didn't start off too well... There was a problem with our room when we first arrived, but the manager on duty was genuinely apologetic and gave us one of the Executive Suite rooms for the night. We had to change rooms the following day to one of the Standard rooms, but the quailty of both rooms was of a high standard, the only difference that I found was just in the size of the room itself. Everything else (incl. the size of the bathroom) was exactly the same. The manager gave us a complimentary breakfast for one of the days during our stay, which was a nice gesture for the inconvenience of having to change rooms after our first night.

But apart from that, everything was excellent for the rest of our stay!

The rooms were neatly presented and very quiet. Occasionally I would hear people in the hall walking to and from their rooms, but other than that, it was very quiet. Although admittedly we were in a corner room, so we didn't have much foot traffic going past our door at all...

The hotel not having a groundfloor lobby was a little inconvenient, but you get used to it. Not that the hotel could do anything about this anyway.

The location is top-notch, close to all the retail shops. You fall out of bed & you'll be right in the heart of all the shopping! :-)

And finally, ALL the staff that we had the pleasure of liaising with were very polite and made sure we had a very enjoyable stay, which we did.

• Liked — Very convenient ocation; excellent customer service from ALL staff
  • Disliked — Lack of a groundfloor lobby & outdoor pool
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear TulipSprinkles,

Thankyou for your kind words. I'll make sure our team get a copy of your feedback.

If there is any way I can assist with a future stay, please let me know and I'll personally attend to your booking.

Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

Modern, comfortable room with excellent bedding. Great, friendly service. Terrific breakfast.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, October 23, 2008
Dear Voyager81,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback.

We pride ourselves on having a great breakfast, and are extremely pleased it is valued by our guests. I will personally ensure that your comments are passed on to our F&B Team.

If there is any way we can assist with your next trip to Melbourne, please let me know.

NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights,arrived Friday night & was checked straight in & recieved a free upgrade in rooms which was great.Room was nice,huge in size,shower was dissapointing though had no pressure.House cleaning was a bit slack room didn't get made up until very late in arvo and didn't do much of a job. Buffett breakfast was nice good selection.
The concierge service was very helpful,being my first time in Melbourne wasn't sure on a few places to go they recomended some lovely restuarants and gave great directions.The hotel is in great location ,taxi rank at front entrance and tram stop a few steps away but most things are in walking distance anyway - easy walk to Q.V markets and great shopping.
Overall had great weekend,coming back in few months and will stay here again.

• Liked — Location,helpful concierge team
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear HappyonholsNSW,

Thankyou for taking the time to leave some feedback about our hotel.

Great to see you enjoyed your time at the Novotel. Our location would have to be one of the best in Melbourne, at least that's what most of our customers say.

I will address your feedback about water pressure with our Chief Engineer.

In relation to room, we can certainly have your room cleaned earlier when next you stay. Just advise reception and we'll have it serviced at the most convenient time for you.

Albury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Novotel in April whilst visiting Melbourne for a camping expo. I was a bit concerned when we pulled up at the hotel entrance - there is no parking out the fornt of the hotel, so you need to catch the valets attention pretty quick and you need to know where you are looking for, only a small doorway leads to a big hotel. The staff were great however, and we were on our way to the room quickly.
The room was spacious and clean and had a view over the shopping complex the hotel is built over, however there was no noise from the mall at all. The bed was comfy and the bathroom well appointed for a Melbourne hotel, often they can be a bit small.
Now aside from the usual, cleanliness, bedding etc, I gauge my hotel experience on two things...the bathroom amenties (I'm addicted, I collect them from everywhere!) and the breakfast.
Suffice to say, the amenties must have been okay, because the breakfast was so fantasic I can't remember much else!
You name it, they had it, from waffles (a rarity in Australia) to fresh honeycomb for your toast. I couldv'e stayed all day!
Given Melbourne is known for its restaurants and we always try somewhere new each time we go, we did not eat at the restaurant at night - had a few beers at the bar though and that was a nice spot. Try the Mai Tai Hawaiian Cocktail Bar and Restaurant on the corner of Russell and Lonsdale Streets - bizarre tropical/thai/island decor, hilarious menu descriptions but excellent thai food.
The only reason we didn't stay at the Novotel on Collins again for our last visit was they didn't have one of their great packages available on our usual online booking site. We paid for staying at the other hotel - in frustration as well as money (see my review on the Rendevous Hotel Melbourne - Sept 08) so it serves me right!
We look for the Novotel's Stay and Play package - king bed (I think we got an upgrade), brekkie and valet parking - ranges from $249 to $349 depending on what is on in Melbourne at the time.

• Liked — The breakfast!!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear JB072,

Yours is most certainly one of our favourite pieces of feedback so far this year. Thankyou very much for your kind words.

Breakfast is very important to us and our team put a lot of effort into making it the best. They really get a buzz when a customer recognises them for their efforts.

It's disappointing to see you couldn't get access to our Stay and Play package. It does sell out fast and has a huge following.

Given that you are a loyal guest, if you ever can't access that rate, please let me know and we'll do our best to provide a great alternative for you.

Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

Good location right in the city. Rooms are comfortable, albeit the shower is a bit weak. Internet access good but still charge for Internet access

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, July 30, 2008
Thankyou for your feedback.

We will have our engineering team look into your comments in relation to shower pressure.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with your next stay.

David Wright

Been to Novotel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!