“Excellent location, great service from all hotel staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Melbourne on Collins

You added Novotel Melbourne on Collins to your Saves list
Novotel Melbourne on Collins
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #40 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Excellent location, great service from all hotel staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights in total in early Dec 08, and really enjoyed it!

Although things didn't start off too well... There was a problem with our room when we first arrived, but the manager on duty was genuinely apologetic and gave us one of the Executive Suite rooms for the night. We had to change rooms the following day to one of the Standard rooms, but the quailty of both rooms was of a high standard, the only difference that I found was just in the size of the room itself. Everything else (incl. the size of the bathroom) was exactly the same. The manager gave us a complimentary breakfast for one of the days during our stay, which was a nice gesture for the inconvenience of having to change rooms after our first night.

But apart from that, everything was excellent for the rest of our stay!

The rooms were neatly presented and very quiet. Occasionally I would hear people in the hall walking to and from their rooms, but other than that, it was very quiet. Although admittedly we were in a corner room, so we didn't have much foot traffic going past our door at all...

The hotel not having a groundfloor lobby was a little inconvenient, but you get used to it. Not that the hotel could do anything about this anyway.

The location is top-notch, close to all the retail shops. You fall out of bed & you'll be right in the heart of all the shopping! :-)

And finally, ALL the staff that we had the pleasure of liaising with were very polite and made sure we had a very enjoyable stay, which we did.

• Liked — Very convenient ocation; excellent customer service from ALL staff
  • Disliked — Lack of a groundfloor lobby & outdoor pool
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, February 28, 2009
Dear TulipSprinkles,

Thankyou for your kind words. I'll make sure our team get a copy of your feedback.

If there is any way I can assist with a future stay, please let me know and I'll personally attend to your booking.

David Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

Modern, comfortable room with excellent bedding. Great, friendly service. Terrific breakfast.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, October 23, 2008
Dear Voyager81,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback.

We pride ourselves on having a great breakfast, and are extremely pleased it is valued by our guests. I will personally ensure that your comments are passed on to our F&B Team.

If there is any way we can assist with your next trip to Melbourne, please let me know.

NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights,arrived Friday night & was checked straight in & recieved a free upgrade in rooms which was great.Room was nice,huge in size,shower was dissapointing though had no pressure.House cleaning was a bit slack room didn't get made up until very late in arvo and didn't do much of a job. Buffett breakfast was nice good selection.
The concierge service was very helpful,being my first time in Melbourne wasn't sure on a few places to go they recomended some lovely restuarants and gave great directions.The hotel is in great location ,taxi rank at front entrance and tram stop a few steps away but most things are in walking distance anyway - easy walk to Q.V markets and great shopping.
Overall had great weekend,coming back in few months and will stay here again.

• Liked — Location,helpful concierge team
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear HappyonholsNSW,

Thankyou for taking the time to leave some feedback about our hotel.

Great to see you enjoyed your time at the Novotel. Our location would have to be one of the best in Melbourne, at least that's what most of our customers say.

I will address your feedback about water pressure with our Chief Engineer.

In relation to room, we can certainly have your room cleaned earlier when next you stay. Just advise reception and we'll have it serviced at the most convenient time for you.

Albury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Novotel in April whilst visiting Melbourne for a camping expo. I was a bit concerned when we pulled up at the hotel entrance - there is no parking out the fornt of the hotel, so you need to catch the valets attention pretty quick and you need to know where you are looking for, only a small doorway leads to a big hotel. The staff were great however, and we were on our way to the room quickly.
The room was spacious and clean and had a view over the shopping complex the hotel is built over, however there was no noise from the mall at all. The bed was comfy and the bathroom well appointed for a Melbourne hotel, often they can be a bit small.
Now aside from the usual, cleanliness, bedding etc, I gauge my hotel experience on two things...the bathroom amenties (I'm addicted, I collect them from everywhere!) and the breakfast.
Suffice to say, the amenties must have been okay, because the breakfast was so fantasic I can't remember much else!
You name it, they had it, from waffles (a rarity in Australia) to fresh honeycomb for your toast. I couldv'e stayed all day!
Given Melbourne is known for its restaurants and we always try somewhere new each time we go, we did not eat at the restaurant at night - had a few beers at the bar though and that was a nice spot. Try the Mai Tai Hawaiian Cocktail Bar and Restaurant on the corner of Russell and Lonsdale Streets - bizarre tropical/thai/island decor, hilarious menu descriptions but excellent thai food.
The only reason we didn't stay at the Novotel on Collins again for our last visit was they didn't have one of their great packages available on our usual online booking site. We paid for staying at the other hotel - in frustration as well as money (see my review on the Rendevous Hotel Melbourne - Sept 08) so it serves me right!
We look for the Novotel's Stay and Play package - king bed (I think we got an upgrade), brekkie and valet parking - ranges from $249 to $349 depending on what is on in Melbourne at the time.

• Liked — The breakfast!!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear JB072,

Yours is most certainly one of our favourite pieces of feedback so far this year. Thankyou very much for your kind words.

Breakfast is very important to us and our team put a lot of effort into making it the best. They really get a buzz when a customer recognises them for their efforts.

It's disappointing to see you couldn't get access to our Stay and Play package. It does sell out fast and has a huge following.

Given that you are a loyal guest, if you ever can't access that rate, please let me know and we'll do our best to provide a great alternative for you.

Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

Good location right in the city. Rooms are comfortable, albeit the shower is a bit weak. Internet access good but still charge for Internet access

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, July 30, 2008
Thankyou for your feedback.

We will have our engineering team look into your comments in relation to shower pressure.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with your next stay.

perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

This was the first time we had been in Melbourne and I was looking for a place that was close to everything. I found it at the Novotel Melbourne on Collins. We arrived very early in the morning on the 4th June and were not expecting to be able to check in till much later. The front desk staff were very friendly and when I told them I was over for the first time and also to celebrate a birthday, I was told not only could we check in immediately but had been upgraded!
The room was lovely with all the usual amenities and a very comfortable bed. I do agree with some of the other reviewers that it is abit of a rabbit warren but this wasn't an issue at all. I took the advice of another reviewer and used the pillow menu and found the pillow I had just HEAVENLY! ( I intend to buy one for myself now!)

My husband and I used the gym on two occasions. Yes, it is open and looks down to a shopping center but that 's fine.

Did not eat at the hotel as there were just so many cafes about. If you were to go down to the front of the hotel, just cross the road and you will see a little alleyway full of cafes and the like! Just brilliant!

Found it a bit strange that the first impression you get of the hotel is the little entry where the concierge is situated. You have to take the lift up to reception. While we were there, I was particularly impressed with the chief concierge Darcy Shew. I noticed that we were always greeted with a smile and that he made it a point to greet everyone who came into the hotel or was leaving. We had great tips and recommendations from him for resturants and the like. He was also very efficient and helpful with dinner reservations and places to shop. What a nice guy!
I cannot say however, that a couple of the other staff on duty took the same care as he did in making sure that guests were greeted. I may be fussy but I do believe that just to acknowledge your guests at the hotel is an important thing. Trying to look busy when there is no one around and quite blatantly ignoring guests who walk by is NOT a good idea. A simple hello is very adequate and welcoming.

On our last day, we decided to ask for a very late checkout and were told we had to pay alittle extra. Not a problem. It was a problem later however, when we came back to our room with bags of shopping only to find that the keycard would not open the door. Down I went to the front desk to enquire about this , got an apology and had to have another keycard given to us. Abit hard when you are busting for the loo!! I was pleasantly surprised later to find that they had only charged us half the amount for the late checkout. That was compensation enough!! Overall, we had a very good experience with the Novotel. We checked in on the 4th and left on the 8thJune. We will be back- this time with the daughters for the food and shopping!! Thank you for a very pleasant experience.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, June 29, 2008
Thankyou very much for your kind feedback.

I will personally ensure Darcy gets a copy of your response. He will be very pleased that his efforts are recognised.

We have also discussed our procedure for late departures to ensure keys are extended.

If I can be of assistance in any way for your next stay, please let me know.

melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

Booked a Night in the Novotel with my Husband, as we had not stayed here before. The Ambience is lovely the Room very comfortable not as Roomly as I would have expected. Needs a little up dating. The breakfast was fantastic and well worth the extra money, as the choice was there to cater for all.
The only downfall was that seeing as we are Melbournians there is no parking out the front and you have to double park and run in to get the Concierge to come out and take your car.

• Liked — Peaceful
  • Disliked — needs a little updating
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear Colin65,

Thankyou very much for choosing to stay with us.

We appreciate your comments in relation to the room and will ensure your feedback is passed on to our team.

Perhaps when next you stay, I can arrange an upgrade to one of our larger room types.

I will also ensure our kitchen team receive your breakfast comments. Our chefs are passionate about breakfast and will be encouraged to see their efforts acknowledged.

If I can be assistance in any way when next you stay, please let me know.