“Helpful staff great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Melbourne on Collins

Save Saved
You added Novotel Melbourne on Collins to your Saves list
Novotel Melbourne on Collins
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #30 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Helpful staff great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I had a single room with 2 queen beds on the 8th floor. for 3 nights.There is an adjoining shopping arcade next door. There is also a laneway nearly opposite to Spencer St. Station which is helpful.
One problem in Melbourne if you get public transport you need to pay $6 for a Miki card, like a credit card to buy tickets for the trains and trams.I'm not sure about the buses.
I did a very good tour of the Town Hall which is just a few minutes walk to the left when you come out of the hotel.
The showers give good pressure considering they use water saving devices. The bath is good but could be a bit deeper. The TV is good with a yoga workout and the pool is OK although a little small.
The staff are on the ball and very helpful.I was off to a wedding when the button on my suit jacket came off. The man at reception sewed it on for me on the spot and did a first class job.
I had a problem with the mini bar and the reception staff gave me the benefit of the doubt.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

2,877 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Probably because I stay in this hotel a few times a month I got a recent upgrade.

Loved the really comfy Eames style chair & it was very comfortable to work from.

Valet parking is $35AUD a day but always worth it for the convenience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I must say I was a bit skeptical when I first arrived at the hotel as the entrance was kind of small and hidden among the shops.

But once I've arrived at the reception and was served by the friendly reception officer, my view has changed.

The hotel was well located in CBD within good walking distance to some good cafes, restaurants and shopping. Everything was within 5-15mins walk. Trams and trains were also easily accessible.

I stayed in a standard room with a queen bed which I found a bit too small to my liking but it works just fine. I wish they have firmer pillows though.

Bathroom was small but refurbished to a modern design. A slight disappointment on the toiletries. Only bath gel and 2 in 1 shampoo was provided. The shampoo wasn't great for someone with long hair like myself. Cotton wool, cotton buds and body lotion was provided which is downside for me.

Wifi was also not available in the room and I had to subscribe to daily data roaming using my mobile phone. Most hotels these days provide free wifi in the entire hotel. That could be something Novotel should look into.

Ohh...and I love that they provide red apples at the reception where you can pick one up on the way in or out of the hotel :) Australian apples are sooo yummy!

On the whole, it's a well located hotel and good enough if you're not looking for a 5 star treatment with turndown service. I would definitely stay there again

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed nine nights here which is a really good test of a hotel . I had a king single room overlooking Collins Street, as I was on my own. I was in Melbourne to see the Wagner Ring Cycle at the Arts Centre so this was a good choice as it is about a ten minute walk away.
I found it ideal being right in the centre of the shopping area with divine little arcades and laneways full of interesting shops ,restaurants and coffee shops but the only problem is getting lost so I just had to keep shopping ! It was wonderful to be able to return to the hotel and drop off parcels and with Melbourne's changeable weather - grab umbrellas or extra clothes or discard them.
It is about five minutes walk from Flinders Street Station and the Tourist Info in Federation Square is then across the road.
The hotel itself is a typical Novotel in design. The room was comfortable ,everything worked but as usual no hooks or hanging space for laundry for a traveller. The coffee shop Lanes , on the sixth floor did a good coffee on the way from the street in the two lift system to my room on the ninth floor . I must say even with two lifts there was little time spent waiting and there were stairs into the shopping centre from the reception on six .
The breakfast buffet was brilliant and I think catered for all tastes and diets. The restaurant ,Michel ,was good and I chose to eat there a few times . My main criticism of it was the tiled floor which made it noisy . The food though was excellent. There are many restaurants nearby but in the lanes the cigarette smoke was a problem for me.
The pool was closed which was a pity but otherwise I had no complaints.

Room Tip: Apparently some rooms face onto the shopping centre as I noted in reviews prior to booking . I had o...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed recently for four nights on business.
Location is great being right in the centre of one of the main shopping areas. There are lots of restuarants, coffee shops and shops right on the doorstep of the hotel.
The reception is on the sixth floor although concierge desk is at ground level. The staff are pleasant, friendly and efficient.
The public areas are fine - some room to sit and a fairly open plan bar area/restaurant. It's not particulary enticing to hang about in.
The rooms are large with all the usual amenities. In a city known for its coffee though, some real coffee in the room woudl have been nice rather than a couple of small sachets of instant coffee. The rooms were clean.
The bathroom was a wet room and was clean and well appointed.
My window looked out into the very top of the interior of a shopping mall - it certainly wasn't much of a view.
As there were so many inviting places very close nearby for breakfast, I didn't eat at the hotel at all.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

On a our first trip to Australia this hotel was the very first we stayed in. Its position in the center of Melbourne was ideal to explore the city center on foot, as well as being very close to tram, bus and rail transport facilities so we could easily visit other parts of this great city. We were on a room only basis which suited us both as there were many cafes, restaurants and pubs within walking distance of the hotel. The only downside to our stay was that our room was adjacent to the service lift and the laundry was delivered at 06.00 hours which is when we were subjected to lots of banging a thuds, so avoid room 925, otherwise the room was superb and very spacious.

Room Tip: Not room 925, unless you like getting up at 06.00 hours, it is next to the service lift.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Novotel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!