This was the first time we had been in Melbourne and I was looking for a place that was close to everything. I found it at the Novotel Melbourne on Collins. We arrived very early in the morning on the 4th June and were not expecting to be able to check in till much later. The front desk staff were very friendly and when I told them I was over for the first time and also to celebrate a birthday, I was told not only could we check in immediately but had been upgraded!
The room was lovely with all the usual amenities and a very comfortable bed. I do agree with some of the other reviewers that it is abit of a rabbit warren but this wasn't an issue at all. I took the advice of another reviewer and used the pillow menu and found the pillow I had just HEAVENLY! ( I intend to buy one for myself now!)
My husband and I used the gym on two occasions. Yes, it is open and looks down to a shopping center but that 's fine.
Did not eat at the hotel as there were just so many cafes about. If you were to go down to the front of the hotel, just cross the road and you will see a little alleyway full of cafes and the like! Just brilliant!
Found it a bit strange that the first impression you get of the hotel is the little entry where the concierge is situated. You have to take the lift up to reception. While we were there, I was particularly impressed with the chief concierge Darcy Shew. I noticed that we were always greeted with a smile and that he made it a point to greet everyone who came into the hotel or was leaving. We had great tips and recommendations from him for resturants and the like. He was also very efficient and helpful with dinner reservations and places to shop. What a nice guy!
I cannot say however, that a couple of the other staff on duty took the same care as he did in making sure that guests were greeted. I may be fussy but I do believe that just to acknowledge your guests at the hotel is an important thing. Trying to look busy when there is no one around and quite blatantly ignoring guests who walk by is NOT a good idea. A simple hello is very adequate and welcoming.
On our last day, we decided to ask for a very late checkout and were told we had to pay alittle extra. Not a problem. It was a problem later however, when we came back to our room with bags of shopping only to find that the keycard would not open the door. Down I went to the front desk to enquire about this , got an apology and had to have another keycard given to us. Abit hard when you are busting for the loo!! I was pleasantly surprised later to find that they had only charged us half the amount for the late checkout. That was compensation enough!! Overall, we had a very good experience with the Novotel. We checked in on the 4th and left on the 8thJune. We will be back- this time with the daughters for the food and shopping!! Thank you for a very pleasant experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Melbourne, Novotel Melbourne on Collins offers 380 beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites. The 4.5 Star property is within walking distance of some of the finest attractions in Melbourne. Offering a contemporary restaurant and bar, indoor heated swimming pool & spa and fitness centre, it is the perfect choice for both business and leisure travellers. St. Collins Lane (formerly Australia on Collins beneath to Novotel Melbourne on Collins) is arriving in the heart of Melbourne's most revered retail street, Collins Street. The "New Establishment" will draw on the history of the location and add its own modern twist to create a new fashion, food and cultural destination for the city. Redevelopment will commence in October 2014 and is due for completion in late 2015. Works are scheduled from 7am - 7pm, Monday to Friday & 7am - 3pm, Saturday. The hotel guest services will not be affected. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, getaroom.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, EasyToBook, Travelocity, Odigeo, ACCOR, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Novotel Melbourne on Collins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Melbourne On Collins Hotel Melbourne
- Accor Melbourne On Collins
- Melbourne Novotel