“Location! Location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Melbourne on Collins

You added Novotel Melbourne on Collins to your Saves list
Novotel Melbourne on Collins
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #33 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
perth
“Location! Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

This was the first time we had been in Melbourne and I was looking for a place that was close to everything. I found it at the Novotel Melbourne on Collins. We arrived very early in the morning on the 4th June and were not expecting to be able to check in till much later. The front desk staff were very friendly and when I told them I was over for the first time and also to celebrate a birthday, I was told not only could we check in immediately but had been upgraded!
The room was lovely with all the usual amenities and a very comfortable bed. I do agree with some of the other reviewers that it is abit of a rabbit warren but this wasn't an issue at all. I took the advice of another reviewer and used the pillow menu and found the pillow I had just HEAVENLY! ( I intend to buy one for myself now!)

My husband and I used the gym on two occasions. Yes, it is open and looks down to a shopping center but that 's fine.

Did not eat at the hotel as there were just so many cafes about. If you were to go down to the front of the hotel, just cross the road and you will see a little alleyway full of cafes and the like! Just brilliant!

Found it a bit strange that the first impression you get of the hotel is the little entry where the concierge is situated. You have to take the lift up to reception. While we were there, I was particularly impressed with the chief concierge Darcy Shew. I noticed that we were always greeted with a smile and that he made it a point to greet everyone who came into the hotel or was leaving. We had great tips and recommendations from him for resturants and the like. He was also very efficient and helpful with dinner reservations and places to shop. What a nice guy!
I cannot say however, that a couple of the other staff on duty took the same care as he did in making sure that guests were greeted. I may be fussy but I do believe that just to acknowledge your guests at the hotel is an important thing. Trying to look busy when there is no one around and quite blatantly ignoring guests who walk by is NOT a good idea. A simple hello is very adequate and welcoming.

On our last day, we decided to ask for a very late checkout and were told we had to pay alittle extra. Not a problem. It was a problem later however, when we came back to our room with bags of shopping only to find that the keycard would not open the door. Down I went to the front desk to enquire about this , got an apology and had to have another keycard given to us. Abit hard when you are busting for the loo!! I was pleasantly surprised later to find that they had only charged us half the amount for the late checkout. That was compensation enough!! Overall, we had a very good experience with the Novotel. We checked in on the 4th and left on the 8thJune. We will be back- this time with the daughters for the food and shopping!! Thank you for a very pleasant experience.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, June 29, 2008
Thankyou very much for your kind feedback.

I will personally ensure Darcy gets a copy of your response. He will be very pleased that his efforts are recognised.

We have also discussed our procedure for late departures to ensure keys are extended.

If I can be of assistance in any way for your next stay, please let me know.

David Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

Booked a Night in the Novotel with my Husband, as we had not stayed here before. The Ambience is lovely the Room very comfortable not as Roomly as I would have expected. Needs a little up dating. The breakfast was fantastic and well worth the extra money, as the choice was there to cater for all.
The only downfall was that seeing as we are Melbournians there is no parking out the front and you have to double park and run in to get the Concierge to come out and take your car.

• Liked — Peaceful
  • Disliked — needs a little updating
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Colin65,

Thankyou very much for choosing to stay with us.

We appreciate your comments in relation to the room and will ensure your feedback is passed on to our team.

Perhaps when next you stay, I can arrange an upgrade to one of our larger room types.

I will also ensure our kitchen team receive your breakfast comments. Our chefs are passionate about breakfast and will be encouraged to see their efforts acknowledged.

If I can be assistance in any way when next you stay, please let me know.

Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

Stayed for a couple of nights during the week and was a little disappointed by the facilities of the hotel. The "fitness centre" was below average and is located outside the hotel looking over a shopping centre. The rooms have all the basic essentials except that I did find it quite average. Overall, I think the hotel needs a renovation.

• Stayed April 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Adrian,

Thankyou for your feedback.

It is disappointing to hear that we fell a little short of your expectations.

In relation to our gym, we think that when next you stay you will be pleasantly surprised.

Your comments in particular have been addressed and we have refurbished the gym and expanded the equipment range.

We trust that you will choose to stay with us again and experience true Novotel Melbourne service.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

The hotel has a great location - I didn't need to drive or use the trams, as I walked everywhere. All of the staff were great - the porters on the ground floor were very helpful with directions and recommendations. Overall, an enjoyable stay and can recommend highly.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Fiorano73,

We appreciate you taking the time to pass on feedback about our hotel.

It is always a rewarding experience to read positive comments. Our team love responses like yours.

Thankyou very much for staying with us. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance when next you stay.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

I stayed at the Novotel on Collins for a business trip for 9 nights because of its location to the office and the city's main attractions. The room was generally OK but could do with some updating. The common areas (hallways, lobby) and the room decor look drab and depressing.

The service was generally OK but the housekeeping on one of the days was shoddy to say the least. When I returned to my room after a 12-hr day, I found the bed was half-made, the tea/coffee were not replenished and neither were the shower gels and shampoos. It was lucky there were some leftovers in the bottles from the previous day!

The health club was exercise itself just to get there. Its open-air feel with the gym combined with the pool meant there was no proper ventillation in the exercise area. It was hot.

Room service was on-time and quick, however, the food was not as hot as I would've liked. I guess it got cold on the way up to my room!

Overall, staff I encountered were friendly but the junior staff were inexperiened and harder to deal with.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Atmosphere, service, value for money
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vicotria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

We went for a girls night out in Melbourne having a terrible night with the hotel. The valet parking is very difficult to find as there are no parking spaces to get off Collins St at the front of the hotel. The room we were put in was not what we booked and it took hours to sort out the room issues and then the hotel tried to charge us additional rates for the new room. For a 4.5 star hotel the service was terrible, when dealing with issues we were passed from staff member to staff member with slow resolutions. To add insult to all injury when we were finally given a room we had to make up our own beds.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, February 24, 2008
Dear Possum5,

I am terribly disappointed to hear of your recent stay with us. From your feedback it appears that we have not delivered service to our typical high standards.

I would love to have the opportunity to discuss your stay with you personally if you are willing. My email address is h1587-gm@accor.com

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

Stayed here for Business in January. I usually stay at the RACV however it was booked out due to the Australian Open (I highly recommend the RACV hotel). The location was excellent for what I needed. Close to the business hub of Colins St and a short walk to LaTrobe and Williams St.

Check in - was OK. Although the staff got my name wrong, even after I spelled it for them and then tried to check me in as someone else. Never experienced that before!

Stayed on the same floor as the pool and gym which meant a little bit of extra traffic down the hallways. The hallways seem to me like a bit of a maze and it can feel a little disorientating in the morning.

The room was better than expected with 2 double beds. The LCD screen was ridiciously small and had the same channels that they seem to offer at ALL Australian hotels now. Note: Why is it that even with the volume down low, it sounds like you are slapping the table everytime you channel surf?

The beds were very comfortable however I was most impressed with the size of the room desk. Usually they are pokey little desks that you struggle to have a laptop on. This desk was in the shape of a surfboard and I easily did work on here while also having dinner. The view out the window is into the shopping centre, which means don't expect to be woken up by the sun!

The bathroom was average and felt like it hadn't been upgraded. Why do hotels insist on having the bath/shower combination with 50 cent shower curtain? Just screems 1950's. The shower head was a water saving freebie that you can get from your local council and while I enjoyed my shower, I still longed for the large shower heads of the RACV.

Business Centre was OK however I was only offered a maximum of 30 minutes of internet time for $6. While the reception bar was OK but with the alley way wine bars - you could not justify staying in for a drink.

Room service was average with the usual fair on offer. I ordered the tenderloin which was a little over cooked for medium and the caramelised topping was a little too rich. This always seems to be the way with hotel steak. Here's a tip - a nice steak shouldn't need to be drowned in a sweetened syrup.

Service was OK overall with staff willing to help out, but no one went that extra mile. Which reminds me, I managed to leave a pair of shorts in my room and will again ring the hotel to organise delivery. Why is it that we never get a call from a hotel to say they have a lost item and will send it via courier...that will get me back everytime!

So in conclusion - If you are Melbourne for a night on business and need an easy base of operations then by all means stay at the Novotel. If you want an experience and comfort for the same price - head to the RACV on Bourke St.

• Liked — The location on Colins St
  • Disliked — The bathroom and service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Novotel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!