“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Melbourne on Collins

Save Saved
You added Novotel Melbourne on Collins to your Saves list
Novotel Melbourne on Collins
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Early Booker
Ranked #31 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location for exploring Melbourne. Concierge, restaurant and bar staff all great, reception not so much. Rooms are lovely and facilities good. Disappointing to have spa out of order the 4 days we were there. Location easy for shopping, trams, Southgate, Flinders station. Great breakfast and lovely having real coffee included.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We love staying at this hotel as its location is so central. You literally step out of the hotel onto one of the main streets - Collins Street. This was our 5th stay in this hotel.
The staff are always lovely.
The rooms are very inviting and comfortable.
We were upgraded to a Premium Room which was a lovely surprise, however we would have been just as happy in a standard room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you again for your return visit. I was pleased to read that the Hotel’s central location and my friendly team keep you coming back.
Hope to see you soon.
bronte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is a great place to stay if you want to combine business and pleasure. Central enough for to the CBD, it also is close to the groovy lane ways restaurants & bars. It is right amongst the shopping as well as being a short stroll to Southbank.
The hotel itself is impeccable with great decor. The only drawbacks would be that bathrooms are small and some rooms like out over an Atrium, neither of these aspects bothered me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your post. So glad our Hotel suited your needs.
We hope to welcome you back.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had no complaints about this hotel. I'm pretty fussy so takes a lot to get a 5 out of me. This was a good solid hotel. I was in a Premier Room on 13th floor so very quiet (although a LONG walk from the elevator! - which I asked for so I shouldnt complain). There were some hairs in the bathroom hence the 3 for cleaning. Staff were always very helpful. Very central location - I was at a conference at the Crown Complex and it was just a pleasant 10 minute walk straight through the Flinders station underpass and across the diagonal bridge over the river. Taxi rank straight out front. Didnt eat any of the food (all included at conference) there so no comment. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Please allow me to thank you for the positive feedback you have given to my team. It is the little things that are just as important and I am very sorry we failed you. Your encouragment will help us to improve our service and strive for more excellence. We look forward to a return visit.
Jones Hill QLD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I have had a holiday in Melbourne three times in the past two years - with my husband, with my daughter and last weekend with a friend. All three times I have stayed in this hotel and I have been impressed each time. I am an Accor Advantage Plus member and by booking in advance the room rate is fantastic value for an inner city hotel. I've stayed twice in a Premier room, but this time had a standard room as my friend and I wanted a Collins St view - who can resist looking out at Tiffany's when you are on a shopping trip?

The room has been recently renovated and was very pleasant. It was not a huge room and there wasn't a lot of space between the beds as it is normally configured as a king room. However we found it had enough room for us and the chaise lounge was very comfortable when relaxing and watching TV after a hard day shopping. There was an in room safe which I normally like, but it was too high to actually see into it, which I found a little awkward. Obviously the renovation missed a bit on that point.

The staff at this hotel are excellent - very friendly and professional and we were always greeted as we passed by reception and concierge. All questions were answered very thoroughly and capably. The location of the hotel is perfect - near shops, trams, laneways, places of interest and at least five excellent chocolate shops were within a minute's walk of the hotel door! The memorable Hopetoun Tea Rooms is just metres away in The Block Arcade.

Buffet breakfast in Michel's Restaurant was included in our package and it was excellent each morning. I think this Novotel has probably the best breakfast of any Novotel I have stayed in - an extensive variety of hot and cold dishes. We had one dinner in Michel's and several meals in their Lane Cafe Bistro. All the food was delicious and Lane Cafe was particularly good value if you just want a simple meal at night. There was a lovely view out onto Collins St from both venues and again, the Accor Advantage Plus discount was very appreciated. Staff at both restaurants were very friendly and helpful.

I have stayed in a lot of quality hotels in the past couple of years, but the Novotel on Collins gets its excellent ranking from me for being a very convenient, friendly and excellent value for money establishment. I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Smithon Tasmania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We really appreciated the online confirmations prior to our visit, great!!!

The upgrade was appreciated. thank you.!

The lighting in the room was totally inadequate, for the size of the room , in particular above suitcase area.{does not seem much but really had to take suitcase, under lamp to see items]

We dined in Micheal's Restaurant one evening and was very disappointed.

Ordering the Rib Eye, receiving the steak alone with a jug of wine juis alone on a plate for the $ value was unbelievable!

We would never serve a meal as such at home.

The resulting situation was that 1 diner ate alone[ whilst potato mash was added, and tasted like a packet mash} so as not to eat cold seafood,
not conducive to a relaxed conversational environment for 2 people who treasure a treat when working in the service industry.

The lack of accountability, as in taking responsibility, stating misunderstanding was very disappointing.

The offer of a complimentary breakfast was welcome.Thank you.and was lovely..

In closing we have stayed many many times at Novotel on Collins, always feeling like a coming home, however this experience has been disappointing, and we will look at options. Not what we would choose.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your time to write this review and your recent patronage. I was concerned to read about the disappointing service you received in the Restaurant and would like to apologise. Your comment most certainly highlights what we further need to change and your feedback is valued. Thank you for saying that you enjoyed the Breakfast next day by way of apology from my team. As for the lighting in the rooms we are sourcing a different product which should improve the overall ambiance once the changes have been made.
Should I be able to be of any assistance in the future please contact myself direct. Email hayden.hughes@accor.com .
I would love for you to experience the service we are known for by you on past visits.
Kindest Regards,
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Very disappointed that even though we arrived at 2.am and had forward notified the hotel of this that there was no one to help us with our luggage.
There was no TV in the rooms which I found incredible. Everything is an extra.
Breakfast excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for recent patronage and time to give feedback. I would be interested to know what room number you stayed on your recent visit as all our rooms have TV’s. If you have time it would be great if you could email hayden.hughes@accor.com. Specifically I would be interested in any feedback as the Hotel is open 24 hours and offers all night service. I look forward to your communiction.
Hayden Hughes

Been to Novotel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!