“Perfect choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Melbourne on Collins

You added Novotel Melbourne on Collins to your Saves list
Novotel Melbourne on Collins
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #33 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Cambridge, New Zealand
“Perfect choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were a little apprehensive about booking this hotel as it was our first time in Melbourne. I'm pleased to say we made the perfect choice at a very reasonable rate.

You can't beat the location of Novotel on Collins; all the shops and restaurants are within very easy walking distance, as are the trams. If you love to shop, this is definitely the hotel to stay at because you can easily drop your shopping bags halfway through the day and continue shopping. It was also an easy morning walk to the Queen Victoria Market.

We upgraded to a premier room, which was really spacious, quiet, clean and tastefully decorated. It was worth the extra money.

I was impressed with how friendly and professional the staff were too. We arrived a few hours before check-in but our bags were held for us and delivered to our room later in the day. Also, I like the way everyone said hello to us when we walked past - it didn't go unnoticed.

The only thing we recommend needs some improvement is the breakfast at Michel's Restaurant. We ate there once and selected the pancakes and poached eggs from the menu. My eggs were completely hard, the bacon was chewy and both of our meals were cold. I accept we went at a busy time and the hotel was completely booked out, but this is pretty basic stuff. My pet hate is hard rock poached eggs!!

That aside, we would recommend the Novotel on Collins to other travellers. We will be back in Melbourne in November next year and will definitely stay here again - with our extended family in tow!

Thanks so much for making our stay wonderful.

Room Tip: Upgrade - its worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights hadn't been back for a few years and was pleased to see the renovations they make a big difference. Only two complaints, as other people have stated the parking is a nightmare! I had to park illegally and run down to the valet to come with me to park the car, not ideal start to my stay. Check in was swift and easy, good clean well designed room, had room service one night which was great. Only other complaint was the echo from the pool area and the screams of children in the pool vibrating throughout my room I was on the 10th floor pool on the 6th if I had had a room closer by this would really bug me. Overall hotel is in a great location, offers most of what it promises and I will stay again.

• Stayed November 2012
Wollongong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We found the Novotel on Collins to be perfect as a base for exploring both Melbourne's big stores and the wonderful shopping arcades. The hotel itself was very comfortable and the staff were friendly. The vallet parking worked very well and the car was always available at the requested time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
runaway bay, gold coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I booked a King Room for last Friday night through Worif.com a couple of months ago. The room was described as newly renovated with a couch and ottoman and floor to ceiling glass. On checking in we were assigned Room 720 which turned out to be next to the pool and spa. It was a weirdly shaped, split level room with a lot of wasted floor space, NO couch or ottoman, and a tiny work desk with one wooden chair. The floor to ceiling glass was a window that only came down to chest height. We ordered room service for dinner and had to negotiate hard for a table to eat at and an extra chair. The chap who delivered the food was reluctant to leave the table and had to go in search of a chair, which when it arrived, was old and torn. The food, to be fair, was excellent. The thermostat in the room, only seemed to operate when the lights were switched on, resulting in the room becoming unbearably stuffy overnight. Breakfast was delivered on time but the hot food was cold and overcooked. On check-out, the assistant manager seemed amazed that there was no couch in the room, and when I suggested that she should wander up and take a look some time, seemed amazed that I expected her to know the rooms she was selling. She also miscalculated the bill on first attempt. The amount I thought I was paying turned out to be $50 less than I was charged when I checked my credit card statement a week later. Never again, Novotel, never again.

Room Tip: if it's not as advertised, complain STRAIGHT AWAY. That was my mistake
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

All of Melbourne CBD activities are within two blocks of this hotel, which was super convenient for a 4-day girls' getaway a few weeks ago, especially in heels and rainy weather! My friend and I shared a standard twin room on the 8th floor, which had two double beds and still ample room for luggage and an extra wide built-in desk for dessert nights in. We are not sure if this was one of the renovated rooms or not, but the bathroom is really well kept and clean. I was expecting a bit more toiletries in the bathroom for a 4.5 star hotel (just soap and shampoo, no moisturizer) but not a big deal as there are pharmacies very close by. We would definitely stay again if the price stays comparable to surrounding CBD hotels.

Room Tip: Atrium view room, away from lifts, definitely very quiet
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hervey Bay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The rooms are lovely and comfortable. They are also very quiet and we did not hear any outside noise. It is a bit of a novelty to look out onto the shopping centre and it was entertaining. The staff were very helpful and prompt with service. Love this place. This is our second time back and would return. This hotel is central to the shops and easy to get around. Close to flinders station and a quick short walk to Swanston st. Had to ask for a top sheet as we don't like the European style and they were very accommodating. Love this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you, I was extremely pleased to read that we ticked all the boxes again on your return visit. Hope to see you soon.
Hayden Hughes

Been to Novotel Melbourne on Collins? Share your experiences!