“Just double check everything you ask for - otherwise great” 4 of 5 stars

Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   13 Spring St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #63 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Australia
“Just double check everything you ask for - otherwise great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Stayed at The Mercure on Spring St when we came from Perth to watch the Dockers at the MCG. When I made my booking online I noticed when I booked the 2 rooms one had 2 single beds which was an error on my part. I quickly phoned the hotel and told the young man there what I had done and that I wanted 2 double rooms. He asked me for my booking number and assured me he had changed the booking and everything was set. I now had a booking for 2 double rooms. When we checked in after arriving from Perth the gentleman at the desk said right you have one double and a room with 2 singles. No I said. I told him the story of phoning the hotel and he said whoever I spoke to hadn't changed the booking and the Hotel was full so he couldn't make the change. I was very upset and he began to check all his other bookings seeing if he could change anything and came up with a positive result. We now had to doulbe rooms. I was very thankful and we went off to our rooms. My son was only staying 1 night and we were staying 2 so I needed to book the hotel shuttle for him to get to the airport first thing in the morning so wanted to arrange this a.s.a.p. I went to reception not long after check in and spoke to a young man regarding booking this service. He said he would book it and gave me a ticket and said he would leave a message on our phone to confirm the booking. When we arrived back I noticed there was no message on our phone so asked the young man back at reception. He looked like he had forgotten and said he would deal with it now and I left him to it. When we came back from the game I again asked at reception and was told the shuttle company was closed for the day and we couldn't make a booking. When I said no we have a booking we are waiting for confirmation another gentleman stepped in and realised the young man had again forgotten to book my son's shuttle and assured me my son would have transport in the morning which I must say he did (thank goodness). The next day we went out as soon as my son was on his shuttle at 8 a.m. and came back around 2p.m. and found one of our ooms had been made up and the other (4 doors away) not made up. Again we got onto reception and again we were sorted out. Apart from these 3 hiccups the stay at the Mercure was extremely comforabtle. The beds beautiful, extra pillows were delivered upon request, breakfast was unreal and the views from our room spot on. I think all hotels have days when things don't go quite right (I have them days too). They learn from this and improve. I will recommend this hotel to my friends and just give them a little tip to hang around until their requests are met. Thanks to the gentleman who sorted out all our mistakes, he was very professional.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
NMGW, General Manager at Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
Dear crab67tkf

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

It was very pleasing to note you enjoyed your time with us.

I apologise that we let you down on some occasions but I was glad we made things right.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future .

Yours Sincerely

1,066 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

I booked this hotel through Expedia and chose it because it is located in a quiet street in the CBD, close to public transport and had rooms available with 2 queen size beds, all at a good rate. We were not disappointed. The staff were very friendly and helpful on our arrival and continued to be through our stay. The hotel appeared to be recently refurbished and our room was spacious (2 queen beds - very confortable), clean and quiet (double glazed windows). The room contained the basics - fridge, mini bar, coffee/tea, TV. Bathroom was a bit small with shower over bath. We had a great outlook over the park and to the Melbourne cricket ground. The lobby contained a bar and eatery with good food and trendy atmosphere.
The Mercure was a great base from which to explore Melbourne and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a quiet CBD location.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
NMGW, Manager at Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens, responded to this review, September 13, 2010
Dear vitalv

Many thanks for the feedback.

It was very pleasing to note that you highly recommend the Mercure as a base to explore Melbourne.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Berridale, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Unfortunately my husband and I were booked into the Mecure by our Travel Agent - so had no choice of accommodation. We thought we were being booked into at least a 4-1/2 star property and found upon arrivel that this was not so. The service by the staff was acceptable , but the ambience of the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. The entrance to the hotel is very awkard to negotiate with baggage and there was no assistance from the counter staff at all. The front desk is quite hidden from the street so they are probably not aware of arrivals until they appear in front of them. For older people the entrance is quite dangerous as there is no ramp for the luggage and the entry steps are at an off angle. We were given a "superior room" overlooking the park and this was the only reason given for this type of room. The rooms are very small - we at least had a queen size bed - although that left little room for our baggage. the carpets were stained and not at all inviting and there was only one quite uncomfortable chair in the room - to relax it is sit on the bed or nothing. The sheets were of poor quality and the blanket had holes in it. As for the bathroom it certainly came out of the middle of last century. Toilet in an odd position with all the piping exposed - the room did not have a clean feel to it because of the age of the tiling and the lack of chrome on the taps etc. The towels were so thin we had to have them changed each day. The hotel provides all the "bells & whistles" such as mini bar, toiletries, internet connection etc. but is certainly lacking in comfort. We decided not to make use of the safe provided as there was charge for its useage (never struck that one before). It was a very disappointing end to what had been a luxury holiday around Australia.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NMGW, General Manager at Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens, responded to this review, September 3, 2010
Dear Ranibub

Thank you for your visit to the Mercure Melbourne Spring Street and sincere apologies that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay.

We greatly value guest comments as they allow us to constantly review and improve our services and where ever possible we will address the areas you noted to ensure comfortable stays for future guests.

Ranbib should you allow us to assist with your accommodation again, please feel free to contact me directly, and I will be more than happy to ensure true Mercure service is experienced.

Yours Sincerely,

Bunbury, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Great 3 night stay in late august. Staff friendly and helpful and allowed an early check-in as I had a midnight flight from Perth. Room was adequate although bathroom a bit small. Single beds a bit hard but not too uncomfortable. Close to trams and underground and easy access to MCG and theatres. Couldn't really fault the Mercure especially for the great price we got.

• Stayed August 2010
Dear ga505

Fabulous to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure

Yours Sincerely

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

I must have a short memory because last time we stayed at the Mercure we endured a sleepless night due to noise and 10 years later nothing has changed.
We arrived after an overnight flight with little sleep and asked for a quiet room.
It was on the 9th floor right opposite the elevator and to make matters worse upgrades to the heating and cooling were being done and I swear it was as though the drills, hammers etc were in our room. Relentless noise until we gave up trying to get a nap and went aout at about 5.30 pm. Next morning 7.30 am off they go again. You can also hear every sound from the corridor and next room but no street noise thank goodness.
So pleased we only stayed one night.
Bathroom small and modest, bed comfy. Ordered feather pillows which were good too.
Position good for shopping and footy
Front desk badly understaffed.
Sorry we really won't be back again - much better hotels in Melb for the same money !

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NMGW, General Manager at Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear MickiAustralia,

Thank you for your visit to the Mercure Melbourne and taking the time to pass on the feedback regarding your stay. We strive to ensure all customers have a great experience at the hotel, however I sincerely apologise that it was not the case on this occasion.

Most certainly you should have a quiet and comfortable stay and rest assured that your experience is not the norm at the Mercure.

MickiAustralia should you allow us another opportunity to assist with accommodation, please contact myself directly. I would be more than happy to ensure a very pleasant stay.

Yours Sincerely,

Petaling Jaya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Stayed for 5 nights from the 10th August. Overall, had a great experience with Mercure Spring St. Reception was friendly and prompt. The cafe Lime Cafe is great with nice & sufficient menu items.. Room service was prompt and as expected. Room was great and comfy, big enough for the 3 of us (our 9 mths old son was with us in this trip). Maybe the only grouse I have is the heater in the room, seems not heating enough for us in this cold August Melbourne winter and also that there is no ramp for us to wheel in/out the baby pram for our son, but thats not so much a hassle as it was just a few steps from the street... great location too as it is right beside the tram stop where it was easy for us to hop onto the free City Circle Tram... and very near the APT Touring bus boarding point at Federation Square ... overall, highly recommended...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
NMGW, General Manager at Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Dear hakimamir

It was great to read that you had an enjoyable experience during your stay at the Mercure. 5 days certainly gives you the opportunity to enjoy all the hotels services and all that Melbourne has to offer. Your feedback is much appreciated as we strive to ensure a very pleasant visit for all guests.

Kind regards.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating! They made our stay the positive experience it was. After raising our concern about possible lift noise, it was no trouble to provide another room for our entire eight day stay. The room met our needs, was clean and sound-proof. We were particularly touched with the room staff who made up our bed each morning, arranging our teddies in comfortable positions to welcome us home each evening. The front desk staff were always happy to help, never bothered, readily approachable and a delight to deal with. Mercure Spring Street may be a hotel starting to feel its age, but the staff are why we would return to stay. It is located within walking distant to the MCG, Federation Square and Spencer St Station, plus numerous trams. Easy to explore the city from, at a quiet end of town across from some beautiful gardens.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
NMGW, General Manager at Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Dear CatsLover45

Many thanks for your kind words about your stay at the Mercure. It was wonderful to read that our team was able to make you feel comfortable and our location was convenient for your needs.

We hope to welcome you back to the Mercure in the near future.

Phil O’Brien

Been to Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens? Share your experiences!