“Not really an apartment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne to your Saves list
Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   189 Queens Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Medina Grand Melbourne)   |
Ranked #29 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Canberra, Australia
“Not really an apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Firstly, the term ‘apartment’ may be somewhat misleading – a hotel room with a microwave and laundry facilities would be a more accurate description. In my case, I shared a laundry with an adjoining room and laundry powder was available at $4.50 for a small one-wash packet. My room was spacious and included a desk and small dining table. The kitchen however, was simply a small cupboard containing a sink and microwave along with a toaster, tea/coffee making facilities and basic crockery/cutlery. My advice, if you are planning on preparing meals, is to book a one bedroom apartment, which I understand also includes an oven and a stove.

Despite the misleading terminogly, my stay at the Adina was very positive. The hotel is modern with a very tastefully decorated foyer. A restaurant/bar downstairs also provides room service. My room was comfortable and the cleanliness could not be faulted. Unfortunately, my sleep was disturbed due to traffic/outside noise, but I am a light sleeper so this may not be an issue for everyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

620 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. Got a one bedroom apt and were upgraded to an executive one bed upon check in, by Harry (thanks Harry!) Good sized apt at the back of the property on level 18. Huge bedroom with king size bed and desk area. Good lounge area and kitchen with dishwasher, oven and microwave. Daily service. My only complaint is that the rooms were a little on the dark side

30 mins free wifi in the foyer every day. (It would be nice to see Australia catching up with Asia and Europe and offering feee wifi in this day and age, but 30 mins is better than nothing I suppose)

Hated the 1.5% surcharge on all credit cards. Especially as you are only informed of this by sign on the desk at check in. Why the surcharge? This is not charged by the Credit card company, so this can only be the hotel cashing in. Not a good look Adina, given that a majority of international guests will have no option. We paid on EFTPOS to avoid this.

Nice cafe/restaurant downstairs called QSR, which also offers room service. Good reasonably priced meals and friendly staff.

Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay bill by cash of EFTPOS to avoid Credit card surcharge.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a very average hotel which led to a very average few nights in Melbourne.

The rooms are very plain with modest/daggy furniture and fixtures. Bed is OK but a bit on the hard side. Bathrooms are functional but the shower had 2 settings - boiling hot or too cold. There were also random annoying things in the room like no powerpoints within usable distance and the bedside lamps didn't work.

My work booked this for me as it was near the office and requested a quiet room and I was put in an adjoining room with a screaming toddler which I could hear every word and cry from all the time. The walls are so thin I could hear people sneezing in adjacent rooms! Just annoyed me that this is the service here - at least respect the booking requests of customers. The checkin is also slow and pretty average.

The facilities are also dated - gym is adequate but not if you want to do a proper workout.

Other than that not much to say. Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in June. Our flight was severely delayed due to fog in Sydney. We were meant to arrive at 11am but didn't arrive until about 6.30pm & needed to be at Etihad for the socceroos game kicking off at 7pm. Staff were great. Checked us in quickly, got us to our room & luckily the stadium is only an approx 15 min walk away. Only got to our seats 4 minutes late. Amazing! Room was large, clean & comfortable. Adjoining QSR restaurant was great & could be charged back to the room. Great as we didn't have time to eat til after the game! Had a small problem with housekeeping throwing out our travel documents (flight itineray & parking ticket for Sydney airport). But the management were great when we raised this with them. Luckily I had all the details on email. They allowed me to log in & reprint all the necessary documents. Sometimes things don't always go as we would like, but I believe it is how management respond to issues & act to resolve them that makes all the difference. Management here delivered in spades & even gave us a discount on our bill to compensate without being asked. Anyone who is in a service industry would recognise that it is how you deal with any problems that is the mark of good customer service. Well done to the team for taking ownership of our issue, dealing with it effectively and going the extra mile to ensure our final impression was a good one. Will we stay here again? Definitely!

Room Tip: We stayed on level 21 penthouse suites. Great for couples, but would not recommend for young childre...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria T, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Crouchie03,

I would like to thank you on behalf the team for the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback.

Once again, I would like to apologise on behalf of the team for the inconvenience caused. However, I am delighted to hear that the team provided you with quality guest service and were able to effectively and efficiently resolve the situation and assist you in anyway possible.

I have provided the management team members involved with your feedback and have shared your experience and the guest service provided during our monthly team meeting as a way of not only recognising the team members involved but to also highlight the importance of providing the efficient and effective guest service that we pride ourselves on.

On behalf of the team and myself we look forward to welcoming you back to Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne soon!

Port Fairy, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed at the wonderful Adina Apartments Melbourne last Saturday. Chose location as it was close to where friends were staying. I think I can safely say our friends were very envious of our accomodation. Booked over the phone and spoke to "Harry" who delivered the best customer service I have received in a very long time. He went out of his way to ensure that our stay was enjoyable and he certainally did a fantastic job of that. In fact all of the staff were fabulous. Our room was fantastic ( upgraded to a 2 bedroom penthouse ). Spotless, extremely comfortable and fantastic view of the city. Very comfy beds with large TV's in both rooms. Large living area and every appliance you could need. Location is perfect only minutes walk to Myer, David Jones and Mall. Lots of great restaurants close by. The restaurant attached Queen Street Rescue serves up delicious breakfast , great coffe and very friendly and efficient service. The meal menu looked good as well. Used the pool a couple of times and the Gym looked like it was very well equipped ( didn't venture in!!!!) I think that the Manager of this property should be very proud of the quality of the staff. Thanks again guys (especially Harry) we will definitely be back :-))

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tracey D,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback!

Wow, what a fantastic review!! The team are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Adina Melbourne.

Myself and our management team are extremely proud of the quality of team members in which we have the pleasure working with on a daily basis! Harry is an inspiration to all team members and I have personally shared your wonderful feedback with not only him, but all departments involved with your reservation!

I am delighted that the recent refurbishment of our Apartments made your friend’s envious of yourself and your family!!

Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have now stayed here twice on weekend visits to Melbourne.

The hotel is conveniently located in the middle of the city. Rooms are well appointed and spacious, with good furnishings and linen.

Our first stay was uneventful, however, on this occasion we were very disappointed and annoyed. On our first night, we found that the bathtub did not have a plug. A replacement was delivered after having to call housekeeping twice.

The next day, only one of three lifts was working when we returned to the hotel and we experienced significant delays waiting for the lift.

Then when we tried to watch our TV, it did not work. We called housekeeping, which promptly sent a staff member to check. He went away and then later advised that the TV could not be fixed or replaced. He offered us a new room, but having been in the room for two days and with my wife enjoying a bath at the time, it was inconvenient to move.

To add insult to injury, when our account for express check out was delivered to our room, it included a charge for a movie! When I went to check out, there was a queue and so rather than wait to explain the obvious error, I noted on the express check out form that it was impossible for us to have viewed a movie because, as their records would show, our TV had been reported as broken. To my amazement, when the confirmation of the credit card charge arrived in the mail, the movie charge had not been credited and it was necessary for me to call the hotel, and speak to the manager to have the charge cancelled. She indicated that there was no record of our TV being reported as not working, and wanted me to describe the staff member who had come to our room so she could check (that I was telling the truth presumably!!), so I wonder whether or not the TV has actually been fixed! The movie charge was reversed, but poor maintenance, inefficient administration and offensive methods of dealing with complaints are clearly issues for the hotel.

Also very aggravating is the surcharge for using a credit card when paying the account. Who doesn't use a credit card in 2013? Management would be far better off adding a couple of dollars to the room rate and avoid this very small minded, uncommercial and downmarket practice, which once again simply annoys their guests - particularly those from overseas where such charges are unheard of

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed there on business, greeted by friendly staff. Room was upgraded to a one bed apartment. Room was clean and made up daily. Nothing but good things to say about the adina, will definitely stay there again

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Keith O,

I would like to thank you on behalf the team for the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback!

The team are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel, as we strive to provide the perfect setting with friendly service for both business or leisure. I am delighted to see that you were upgraded and able to experience our delightful One Bedroom Apartments!

Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne? Share your experiences!