“Wonderful stay, but some issues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Park Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Parliament Square | off Parliament Place, Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Gourmet Delight
Ranked #9 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne
“Wonderful stay, but some issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We recently spent 1 night at The Park Hyatt. I was lucky enough to have a gift certificate which included valet parking, breakfast for 2 & 1 night accommodation.
The hotel is wonderful & the service was generally good. Our King room was huge & beautifully appointed. The bathroom was fantastic & everything you could want was at hand. You could even order certain toiletry items complimentary if you forgot them.
Breakfast in the morning was delicious, though there was a little confusion with our poached egg order & it was given to another guest, however when we received them, they were cooked to perfection, though our toast in the meantime had gone cold. Oh well, first world problems, i know!
The swimming pool & spa was great. Though the spa is a very strange shape. We were even able to continue to use the pool & spa facilities after check out, so that was a nice way to spend an afternoon.

We did encounter a few issues, that were resolved, however at a 5 star hotel, i expected a little bit more of attention to detail.

1. My confirmation advised a 2pm check in time, I arrived approx 3pm, however room was not ready. I didn't end up getting access to the room until approx. 4pm, i was not the only person that encountered this, it seemed to be the norm when i stayed. I was offered a complimentary drink in the lounge which was nice, however for a 5star hotel, i expected rooms to be ready at check-in not 2 hours after check-in.
2. Received a bill under the door during the night for $50 for valet parking. On the way to breakfast went to front desk to advise that valet was included in the voucher. The girl helping me spoke to the person who had checked me in the previous day who advised that it wasn't included. I said look at the voucher, it stipulates valet parking, after retrieving the voucher, he admitted to not reading the voucher properly.
3. Upon checkout, was given a bill for $80 for 2 breakfasts. I advised that breakfast was included in the voucher. Again, they had to dig out the voucher, to see that it was included. Simple suggestion, how about at check in, you put in the system what a voucher covers, so that the guest is not constantly charged for items already included for in the voucher.

I would have given the hotel 5/5 however due to the issues we encountered, as detailed above, have only given 4/5. I just expected a 5 star hotel to have more attention to detail.
We did enjoy staying the night & would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear MelbourneKaren67,
Thank you for your detailed feedback following your recent stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our property and took advantage of our facilities, however your comments regarding your room delay upon check in and small billing issues have been discussed with the team. I apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your valuable feedback.
I look forward to you returning to Park Hyatt Melbourne again.

801 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Nothing to fault - a superior hotel. Had to extend to a second night at very short notice - not a problem and able to stay in the same room. Room service was excellent. All services of a very high standard.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Phillip M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne. It was pleasing to read your comments, and I will share them with the team.
I look forward to seeing you at Park Hyatt Melbourne again.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in this lovely hotel. The breakfast buffet was such a treat each and every morning. Get the homemade chocolate croissants, they will slightly toast them for you! The fruit and small dim sum items were just perfect. The service was excellent. The lounge is also very nice. If you feel like going for a little music, there is the Spice Bar adjacent. The hotel gym is the best I have ever seen, spacious, clean, all the equipment is updated. There are numerous classes including Pilates, yoga, and spinning. I was anxious to wake up every morning!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room with a view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Docfoodie2013,
Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay at Grand Hyatt Melbourne. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team.
Regards
Brett
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I'm sorry to say that our stay at the PHM was disappointing.
We checked in on a Saturday morning after a 16hr flight from CA and were very much looking forward to a nice nap. We got into our room overlooking the gorgeous St. Patrick's cathedral at 2pm to find that the church bells had enveloped our room. It was as if we were in the tower itself it was so loud. No amount of earplugs could keep them out. After over an hour of almost constant ringing I called the front desk to find out when they would be stopping, if we could switch rooms and whether they ring on Sundays. The woman politely told me that they were fully booked and that they couldn't control the church bells. Well of course they can't. But they should know when they ring. How can they not have any information about something that is so disruptive and intrusive? Seems pretty obvious that management should reach out to the church and ask for a schedule of events. I can't be the first person who has asked.
Thankfully the bells stopped around 4:45pm and did not ring on Sunday - phew. Unfortunately hallway noise was prevalent throughout. The hotel seems to be completely covered in wood paneling - maybe it amplifies the noise in hallways because voices and doors were very easily heard.
If you think you might want to sleep during the day or are at all sensitive to noise, you should probably rethink this hotel.
We had a suite for under $600 which seems like a pretty good rate to me, considering the hotel was packed with weddings (the source of the bells I discovered by going online) and for White Night (a surprise event for us). The suite had a strange, long, narrow layout with two small rooms connected by a mirrored corridor that doubled as the small closet. We weren't big fans of it. Décor was more wood paneling with 80s styled carpet and furniture. Not really to our tastes.
Service was generally friendly and efficient. The gym and pool are decent.
Breakfast was very good, as it should be for $40pp (!).
The restaurant was closed on Sunday night which was a bit frustrating. I think a hotel of this caliber should offer a full dinner option to its guests every night of the week. We ate in the tea lounge with a very limited menu where it took over an hour to receive a soup and salad.
I wouldn't return, I have to say.

Room Tip: Views of the church might mean insanely loud bell noise
Dear eh555,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, I was concerned to read the church bells inconvenienced your stay with us. St Patrick’s Cathedral is adjacent to the hotel, and can provide beautiful views from the property. The Church bells can be heard at the following times; Tuesday afternoon between 5pm and 6:30pm, Sunday morning between 10am – 11am and following other special events held at the church (ie. Weddings). The hotel has two towers to accommodate our guests, and should you anticipate the church bells maybe an inconvenience, you could request a room in the Park Tower (away from the church).
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused on this occasion, I do hope to see you back at Park Hyatt Melbourne when you next visit Melbourne.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Well where do I begin!!
From check in where the receptionist was very matter of fact...no warmth or feeling of welcome, or apology that our room wasnt ready?? Our room was not ready at 2.30pm when we arrived so we were sent to the restaurant. We waited for 20 mins before we had to walk to the counter & grab attention to order a drink. After which, it was another 20 mins to receive our drinks :(. After trying to get eye contact several times, we gave up ordering again (and I was drinking $30 glass of champagne). In fact when we walked out, they did not even notice. No-one told us our room was ready, so we asked for them to check. At 4.30pm we got our room! We were paying $600 per night for a spa suite!!! We decided to go out after the appalling F&B experience. The next morning someone entered our room from rm service looking for a tray???? We could not hear the person enter due to the bells ringing in the church outside...then...when complaining to the DM of the employee being in our room and walking in on us in bed, the DM told us that we should have had the Do Not Disturb sign on !!!!!! Unbelievable problem resolution skills!!! After this I ordered bfast room service- again 40 mins delivery time and my poached eggs were cold/hard sitting on wet soggy toast. When you pay $40 for breakfast it is not acceptable....so I called down and ordered another. The breakfast arrived on soggy toast again but at least it was served this time in a hot warmer. The whole weekend was like a faulty towers episode. Rooms lovely but the staff & customer service is NOT at 5 star level!!!
Problem resolution training would make a world of difference. If a problem does occur and resolved then it can turn around the whole customer experience...just saying.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Emma T,
I was very disappointed to read your feedback, and apologize for any disappointment caused to you during your stay at our property.
I would appreciate further discussions with you in regards to your stay, and would appreciate you calling the hotel and asking for myself. Your feedback would be valuable in following up these points you have raised, and assist me in addressing them with the relevant departments.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed there just last week for 3 nights. The staff were friendly and courteous. The room felt like it needed a bit of updating (aside from the bathroom), but it was comfortable. I had booked a twin room, but the only rooms they had were with connecting doors, so I ended up with a King room with a roll-away, which was surprisingly comfortable.

The location is indeed a quiet one, and a short stroll away from the CBD. However, if you do plan to do a lot of walking, the location may seem a bit far.

I will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear andy w,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne.
We certainly appreciate your valuable feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne when you next visit Melbourne.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Our stay for one night this week was nothing more than first class. From the moment we arrived we were treated like we were the only guests in the hotel. Staff were courteous, polite and every request was catered to promptly. We stayed in the King Spa Room, which was very clean, spacious and I LOVED the pillows. Pool area was clean and we had it to ourselves! Nespresso machine was a nice touch. We will definitely be back.

Dear Darelle J,
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne.
I am pleased to hear you experienced a wonderful stay - your comments will be well received by all hotel staff.
We look forward to seeing you at Park Hyatt Melbourne in the future.
Brett Sweetman – Hotel Manager

Been to Park Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!