“The Park Hyatt for comfort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Park Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Parliament Square | off Parliament Place, Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Gourmet Delight
Ranked #9 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Bendigo, Australia
“The Park Hyatt for comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Luxury rooms, big king beds that are so soft and comfy, wide bathrooms light and airy. Good showers. Downstairs great food at Radi restaurant or a simple coffee enjoying the sunday piano near Radi is an experience to remember. If taking a swim it's just above the lobby level with the spa and beauty area. Great pool. Only a five minute walk to get into famous Collins Street.

Room Tip: Cathedral (St Patricks) view is excellent. Get a King Room. Enjoy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Having just read your review on Trip Advisor I would like to thank you for taking the time to do this.

It appears you were able to sample many of the hotel’s facilities, from radii, to the tea lounge and indeed the hotel’s swimming pool! All good and I was delighted to read that your experiences were all those of good ones.

Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after you.

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Indonesian first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a 5 star hotel with price tag to match. But the size of the rooms and bathroom, plus lovely staff made it worthwhile.

Check in staff were friendly and quick. The concierges I encountered were all friendly and courteous. Cleaning staff and room service staff were all equally friendly too.

The room was big and the King bed was so comfy. Had a fantastic night's sleep.
The bathroom/walk in wardrobe was huge and I love big bathrooms! Great toiletries and a tv if you wanted to watch from the bath.

The shower room plus spa bath room set up was interesting though. Leaving the remote control for the bathroom tv on the bath ledge was a bit odd considering you would splash water all over the shower room when you used the shower.

Only other downside I could think of was that the brown colour scheme used throughout the room and hotel was a bit dated in my eyes.
But that's being picky.

I used the gym facilities and although it was a smallish room it was totally adequate. The pool area looked great.

Location was good too being close to the CBD but even better is that it's close to Fitzroy which is a great alternate place to eat and shop. Try Huxtable on Smith street for a cool restaurant in that area.

I paid a non refundable sale rate which was similar in price to lesser hotels so it wasn't as pricey as I thought it would be. With this in mind I recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your excellent review on Trip Advisor….. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to sample many of the hotel’s facilities, the gym et al. Great too that you managed to explore the local surrounds too. I know Huxable too and agree with you in that it’s a great establishment. Lots to choose from here in Melbourne. That said, I hope you managed to dine in our hotel restaurant too… radii restaurant & bar.

I trust you are well.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

First of all: The location of the hotel, right at parliament place, is great. Also the portier as well as the reception staff is really nice. What we didn't like at all were two things: First of all the wifi, which costs 30$/day without any free option. I get tired of getting free wifi at starbucks but paying so much at 5* hotels. Second, they failed several times at making up our room, once they forgot both the morning and the evening service...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. All great but of course the mere mention of the word mediocre was alarming!!

The Internet. Alas this is not as simple as our giving it away as we purchase it from a third party and with that we sell it on. I can assure you that we are looking at a better way to combat the negativity with charging and will hopefully have something to communicate soon! The other matter in terms of no make-up or for that matter, turn down service was also rather concerning! While I do not know the room you were in, I will certainly share this with our housekeeping team as this is certainly not the standard and for that I am terribly sorry.

I hope these matters did not entirely mar your stay and that you will be back soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Perrh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband booked this beautiful hotel for my 19yo son and myself for 5 days in March/April 2013. We initially had interconnecting rooms on the 18th floor, mine was a Club King. It was a magnificent spacious room/suite overlooking St Patricks Cathedral, so we saw the crowds arrive for Easter, a sight to behold. My sons room was also spacious, just without the extra lounge area. Our rooms were pristine, modern, and extremely quiet, even though the Hyatt Club Lounge was on the same floor. Could not fault the rooms, but as we decided to extend our stay for a further 5 days opted to downgrade to cheaper rooms. So for a lot less money we moved to the 3rd floor, interconnecting again. Rooms were fabulous again, just no additional lounge area, but were a bit noisier, In particular on the Saturday night, when a group of drunken middle-aged men returned to their rooms across the hall about midnight and were extremely noisy for quite a while...so annoying. But hey, that could happen anywhere. All the staff were really friendly and helpful, especially reception staff who were willing and happy to do anything I asked. The bar downstairs is huge and really funky. The gym, steam room and spa treatments were all terrific. Only downsides for us, to this beautiful hotel are (1) it's location....it's up behind Parliament House, so bit of a walk to get to main shopping area that we were interested in, i.e. Myers, David Jones, etc, (2) only one restaurant....the food was magnificent but lots of dishes that we weren't interested in, but that's just our personal taste, (3) room service menu...again, the food was great but lots of dishes not to our personal taste. We found quite a few restaurants/cafes not too far away from the hotel though which was handy, but we didn't want to walk the streets on our own after dark, so usually ate dinner early. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for you all in all super review on Trip Advisor.

I appreciate your honesty in that while you really enjoyed our stay you felt that some things could have been better. Rest assured all that you outlines will be shared with the entire team.

Will you be back? I certainly hope so and that when you do have some dates in mind you will contact me so that can personally look after you!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed here in January 2013. We had a room on the Cathedral side. This is a five star hotel and with a deserved reputation. The room was large and well appointed. It has everything needed for a hotel such as this. The staff were excellent and very friendly. We had access to the Club Lounge and enjoyed the hospitality there. Great value.
All up this is an excellent hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review titled “an excellent hotel!” How does one beat that? Certainly a great heading and I thank you for taking the time to write this. Really delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope you’ll return and when you do you will contact me so that I can offer you some assistance.

I trust you are well and thank you again for your rave review!

Byron Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

After a bit of deliberation on a few different properties we decided on the Hyatt and very happy we made that choice. For one, it is very close and convenient to the centre of the city and to the tram lines. But more important than that, it is located in a beautiful section of the city that is also very quiet so you can also relax and sleep in if you so choose.
Our room was quite large and (as I was there with a girlfriend) we had plenty of room to leave our things without getting in each other's way. The bathroom was large with a huge tub and the room was also good size. There were a few things that the Hyatt thought of that many other hotels do not, such as mineral salts to soak in for the tub, a razor kit if you happen to have left yours behind, a Nespresso machine, and so on. The bath products are also devine.
It is a quick walk to the city centre (about 20 minutes at normal pace) and there are a host of restaurants within a 10 minutes walk of the hotel. Of course the restaurant in the hotel is available (as is a 24 hour extensive room service menu) but we chose to eat at the many different choices within the area. We did venture into the hotel bar for a champagne toast and were delighted that it offered a few choices albeit very pricey.
In the morning there is a coffee station in the lobby with an attendant - again pricey - $6 for a medium coffee - but on the second day she remembered how I took my coffee and made it with a smile. There is also a selection of pastries and newspapers for those that want to have a light breakfast.
The gym and spa are fabulous and the equipment is up to date. There is also an indoor swimming pool. We did not have spa treatments this trip so I cannot comment on how they stack up to other hotels.
There were a few issues but very minor. The internet was a bit iffy and we had a tough time getting connected. We had to ring the front desk to get a different connection more than once but this was with the Apple devices and not the Samsung (??) The airconditioning unit was also difficult to regulate and only went up and down by 4 degrees at a time. For me it was too cold and for my friend too hot. The "concierge" does not really exist as there were only front desk people to assist and when we questioned them about a choice of restaurant on our first night, we were disappointed with the lack of choices and information they provided.
All in all if you want to be close to the city and also be able to relax, this is the hotel for you. If you need to be right in the thick of the pulsing beat of the city there are other good choices.

Room Tip: Get as high as you can
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comprehensive review on Trip Advisor. It was great to read such a detailed account of your recent stay with us and I was very pleased to read how you heighted our location etc as that of a positive aspect. We consider our location to be perfect for both the leisure and business guest as we are a stone’s throw away from all the hustle and bustle of the city, shopping and corporate world and yet only seconds away from the peaceful and serene surroundings of St Patrick’s Cathedral, the Treasury Gardens and of course the Fitzroy Gardens.

Your comments about the price of the coffee and internet issues have also been noted and will certainly be shared. It’s good to get this kind of feedback as it assists in our improving on what we do. I noted the air conditioning matter too and can assure you that we are working on a solution. Easier said than done but it is being addressed.

I trust you are well and thank you again for your fantastic review!

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Park Hyatt does not have the best situation, let say that some other hotels have a better one.
Rooms are very spacious, really big for a city hotel with big window offering lot of light in the room. Great internet connection, very friendly and efficient staff. Melbourne offers a lot of bars and restaurants so I never try the food there except breakfast which is good with a good variety.
Nothing to fault, great stay, thank you!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. While your feedback is all in all positive I have noted your feelings in regards to our “situation” and by this I assume you are referring to our location? That being the case, then yes, we are certainly not located right in the heart of the city but that I think is something that sets us apart from our competitors and in a good way as our location affords us the best of both worlds. Parks on one side, shops/department stores, on the other and the MCG and other sporting facilities, also that of a “stone’s throw” away from us. I hope that you will return and that when you do you will contact me directly so that I can personally look after your accommodation
requirements.

I trust you are well and thank you once more for your post on Trip Advisor.

Regards,

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Been to Park Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!