“True Luxury - shame it was such a brief stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Park Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Parliament Square | off Parliament Place, Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Gourmet Delight
Ranked #10 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Cardiff
“True Luxury - shame it was such a brief stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Fantastic hotel. The rooms are very spacious and the design extremely clever in regards to the layout - the link between the bathroom to the walk in wardrobe and the TV one can watch (in theory if they are not out working!) in the jacuzzi. Le Labo 22 toiletries are amongst the best experienced and the personnel all charming and exuding World Class service. Most of my time was in the ballroom space but I would love to return on a leisure trip where the amenities and services could be really enjoyed. Getting out of the comfy bed at 5am was horrible though! Kudos to the Management team you are doing a super job.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. So fluidly written and from what you wrote I think fair to say that you enjoyed each and every aspect / interaction, of your stay here. I note you were here for business and hope that you can perhaps make it back for leisure! Either way, please do not hesitate to contact me when you would like to return so that I can personally look after you.

I trust you are well and once more would like to thank you for your more than positive review!

Very best regards,

767 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Indonesian first
Broadbeach, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed at the Park Hyatt as I could not get a room at my normal business Hotel in Melbourne. The location is excellent and the staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome, took care of my luggage without any fuss and offered great advice as to where to eat. My experience here has made me change my mind on my ideal Melbourne Hotel, so in future I will simply book the Park Hyatt

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your glowing review on Trip Advisor. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and on the premise that you would not normally stay here. I gather you travel to Melbourne on a regular basis and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again. I’d been only too happy to assist you with your requirements so please let me know when you have dates in mind so that I can.

I write this trusting you are well and look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Very best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Last year in September my partner and Myself stayed at the Park Hyatt to mark our anniversary.
We had stayed here in the past before and had an excellent time, so had no hesitation in returning for another special night in the city.

The room was excellent, we stayed in a King Spa deluxe room, and when i mentioned it was our anniversary the staff kindly delivered some chocolates and wine to the room complimentary. It is this kind of attention to detail and service that makes this hotel special.

The bed was massive and supremely comfortable, the spa was lovely and clean. The whole room looked impeccable and we got stunning city views. Even a late checkout when we requested it on no notice.

We did enjoy a lovely dinner at radii, which once again was made extra special once we dropped the fact it was our anniversary.

My only complaint is the parking situation, there really isnt much in the way of affordable car parking in the area, however it actually turns out cheaper to take advantage of the valet car parking...dont circle around looking as we just wasted our time.

I had planned to propose on the morning of our stay but unfortunately that was delayed (damn hot air balloons and their weather requirements) but a few days latter I did get a yes and am looking forward to returning for our wedding night before jetting off on our honeymoon.

Thank you to the staff for making our stay a fantastic one and we are looking forward to many more return visits in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that as a repeat guest… Congratulations on your getting engaged! We’d be delighted to welcome you back for your honeymoon so do please let me know when you have dates in mind and we can take it from there.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review as it is feedback of this kind that encourages us to go that extra mile!

I trust you are well!

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We returned to the Park Hyatt (PH) to celebrate our anniversary. Sholto, the General Manager had organised the same club king room overlooking the cathedral for us and other nice perks (such as a bottle Chandon) which was a nice touch and greatly appreciated – he is a generous man who knows all about delivering fine unparalleled service.

We arrived a couple of hours early and the well trained and friendly gentleman Philippe at the front desk was kind enough to allow us to wait upstairs in the club lounge. Phillipe returned shortly after to inform us that he had organised a suite upgrade as he did not want us to wait for our room too long (the current occupants had a late check out until 4pm).

The corner suite in the shorter tower across near the hotel's restaurant Radii was excellent. Amongst other features it had a nice a 'balcony' with beautiful views of the adjacent Cathedral. It was decorated similarly to our previous club king room, however the room was cleverly segmented into a living area with desk and fire place and a very large bathroom with walk in wardrobe – I thought to myself this layout is great, very homely, you could easily live here for a few weeks without feeling like you're living out of suitcase.

Mrs Designer and I enjoyed room service for lunch which we organised to be delivered to the club lounge. We ordered the BLT (not the usual run of the mill kind, Mrs D was impressed with the substantial gourmet slab of turkey which was used and the sear size of the sandwich), and I feasted on the house burger on a brioche bun. Both were delicious – we thought both were good value, however, others may consider the bill to be exxy.

I'm quite health conscious and I fastidious with what I eat – I asked for a healthy alternative to the side of fries which accompanies the burger and was very impressed when I was given a bowl of specially made oven baked wedges. In many ways this reflects the overall service of the PH. Each of the staff we met or corresponded with went out of their way to make sure we got exactly what we wanted – overall everyone we interacted with exceeded my (high) expectations. They are well trained and friendly, I can only say good things about the service we experienced (both this stay and our previous stay), it makes you want to come back again and again – I guess repeat patronage is the biggest complement a guest can bestow on a hotel.

Since it was 'White Night' that evening we decided to stay in and avoid the crowds. We showed up to the club lounge early, canapés are only available after 6pm and noticed that the canapés were still being set up. At this stage I was a little hungry (and I 'm kind of naughty) so I decided to start picking at the sushi which was already laid out. There's a decent selection of what reminded me of a continental breakfast – a range of breads with dips and smoke salmon, selection of cheeses, fruit, and 2 types of hot Bain Marie food, during this night we were offered prawn dumplings and bite sized vegetarian pies. I understand practically why the lounge offers these kinds of selections (easy to present /warm up/efficiency etc) however, I would like to see more healthy and fresh alternatives in the club lounge – perhaps tandoori chicken skewers, noodles etc. There is a decent drink selection too during the club opening hours which ranges from orange juice to spirits.

For dinner I ordered the roasted zucchini salad (a vegetarian option) with extra chicken on the side. This meal came with delicious sour dough rye bread. Being accustomed to fine food, I must say this meal was excellent, exactly what I was looking for - a tasty and healthy meal.
I was glad to see that the pool was available during this stay even though I did not get a chance to use it. Instead I had a quick late afternoon workout (with the rest of the 10 health conscious guests, which made the relatively small gym seem quite cramped), the equipment selection is decent and I was able to perform all my usual chest and tris exercises – this is quite rare when I'm travelling as usually I'm constrained with the amount of weights and equipment available.
Overall the spacious and luxurious rooms, and the excellent service at the PH sets itself apart from other hotels in Melbourne. Having recently stayed in other nearby '5 star' hotels I would rate the PH the best overall luxury hotel in Melbourne. You will not be disappointed if you stay here, the outstanding service will make you feel right at home and will keep you coming back again and again!

Room Tip: Book a club lounge room with a view of the Cathedral
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I cannot thank you enough for your incredibly kind comments made towards me and indeed the team here at Park Hyatt Melbourne. While delightful to receive they are of course not the reason why we do what we do. The latter done because I for one enjoy ensuring that our guests are all well received and looked after while in residence and indeed when I have been personally contacted prior to arrival. I am confident that my team also do it for the same reasons. I will ensure your comments are shared with all as they really reiterate that going the extra mile is really worthwhile!

I write this trusting you are well and thank you once more for your super comments.

Best regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

6 Star ????

Getting tired
staff don't think it's their job to use eye contact and say hello when walking past a guest.
the Radii needed an over hall, dated and lacking atmosphere.
When we arrived the pool was being retiled and the staff failed to let us know.
They didn't really acknowledge our anniversary even though they were given prior warning. Tried to organise dairy free food for snacks in the afternoon, it was like speak a different language and i was at a local motel in the out back of Mexico. too hard brought my own in.

I now go over seas if I want to be treated with respect and to get a good value holiday.
Wake up Australia we have no idea about hospitality the world is ahead of us.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was somewhat taken aback when I read them, especially when you mentioned the pool being retiled and the radii restaurant looking tired… The pool did indeed get retiled last March and that was done so that it is of a high standard. Similarly, we have just completed some works in radii and are about to engage an upholsterer to reupholster all of the chairs in the main restaurant. The floor, already, re-sanded and re polished.

Please let me know if you ever plan on returning so that I can assist you with your accommodation needs.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Used Park Hyatt for business and leisure. Excellent service from all staff, very personable team. The rooms are spacious, quiet and the beds are divine. Many dining options available from AGFG dining to in room service. Very close to city and transport, with the MCG a 20 minute stroll through the park. Fantastic breakfast. Great stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor! I especially liked your heading of “Park it at the Hyatt! Delighted too of course that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will return soon and that when you do have dates in mind that you will contact me so that I can personally assist you with your accommodation needs!

I hope you are well and thank you again for your positive review.

Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Okay, this hotel has a *fantastic* location, and it's quite beautiful. My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights, and I used a Hyatt CC upgrade to get a suite. Radii was also nice, though pricey... we had one [fantastic] dinner there.

Some things I liked:
* Very quiet part of town, very quiet hotel.
* Beds are very comfortable.
* The view from the room was hard to beat.
* Amenities are nice, condition is good (although a little reminiscent of the 90s in styling)

Some things I didn't like:
* Most Hyatts give you access to the club lounge when you're in a suite. This one tried to up-sell us for something like $60AUD/night. Which would have worked out to a super-expensive breakfast. It didn't bother me, since we had a free upgrade. But if I were to splurge on a full-priced suite and then hear about the fact that they want to charge me for more, I might be annoyed.
* Nothing else. This place was beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of St. Patrick's cathedral
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your “Great” review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read how you and your wife enjoyed your stay here at Park Hyatt Melbourne. While all in all very positive your comments about the Park Lounge cannot be ignored. The lounge, while an anomaly for a Park Hyatt Hotel, offers all day refreshments, wireless internet access, deluxe evening beverages and canapés as well as continental breakfast to be taken in radii restaurant - with the exception of Sundays when continental breakfast is also served in the Lounge. I apologise if this was not explained to you in such detail as it certainly should have been.

I hope that you will return to Melbourne soon and that when you do you will contact me directly so that I can personally look after your accommodation needs.

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Been to Park Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!