“Weekend away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Melbourne

You added Park Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Parliament Square | off Parliament Place, Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Gourmet Delight
Ranked #8 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Weekend away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just recently stayed at Park Hyatt hotel in Melbourne. It is true boutique style five star hotel. Perfect location if you want to be closed to the City ( 5 min walking distance) and right next to beautiful Fitzroy Gardens. Rooms are big and comfortable, so is the bathroom. If you can get special discounted rate it is really value for money. Dinning can be expensive, but there are good restaurants nearby and plenty of them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments on Trip Advisor. It is always good to receive positive feedback and indeed to be able to share it with the team. Your comments about the pricing of our food and beverage product has not been ignored. More-so, they have been shared with our chef and our director of food and beverage. It is always good to receive feedback of any kind.

I hope you are well and that you will return to the hotel soon and that when you do you will contact me directly so that I can assist you.

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Indonesian first
Bogangar, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I went to Melbourne for a friends wedding (stayed in Brighton for 2 nights prior to the wedding) and decided to stay at the Park Hyatt after the wedding for two nights to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary.

I will start with the positives, the room was exceptionally clean and tidy and the bedding was extremely comfortable unfortunately that's were the positives end.

The hotel should really advertise on their website that they charge for parking, guests need to be informed of the parking charge before booking. $45 a night is just ridiculous! The hotel we stayed at prior offered complimentary parking. I have definitely never stayed at a hotel before where the parking was not complimentary or possible already included in the room charge so you knew exactly what you had to pay upfront. I would have stayed somewhere else if I was informed.

As it was to celebrate our wedding anniversary I was very disappointed that the Jacuzzi in the pool area was closed for maintenance. Upon check in I was asked to select a newspaper to be delivered to the room each morning however it never arrived. Not that i'm a huge fan of reading the newspaper, just not sure why I was asked to select one if it wasn't going to show up. I think for a luxury hotel and the amount you are paying for the room you should have complimentary access to the wi-fi (as did the hotel we stayed in prior), however it is charged at a very high rate. The staff overall were very stiff and bland and when you did get a smile it definitely didn't seem genuine. All in all the hotel had a very cold feel about it. Maybe okay for business but definitely not for leisure or a special occasion.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor, albeit being far from positive.

I was most disappointed to read your comments and am sorry that you left our hotel feeling this way. I would be delighted to welcome you back and would appreciate your contacting me directly so that I can personally assist you and so that I could also address the negative points you raised in your feedback.

I trust you are well and look forward to hearing from you soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I am an advert Hyatt Brand customer, as such stayed at this hotel recently on points. We stayed in a club room that was located in the “Cathedral” wing.
The room was clean tidy and grand, although it is starting to look tired. This could be resolved with a furniture upgrade without the need for a complete fit out.
The room was comfy but there was a fair bit of fan/ plumbing noise around the room. Our biggest issue was the air conditioning and not being able to turn it off.
Being a club room we had access to the club lounge located on the 19th floor, being on the 11th we assumed the lounge was above us, we later found that we had to switch to the main tower lifts.
Although not a big issue, it would have been nice to have been told that we needed to change lifts at the spa level or at the lobby. It was strange that the Club food was served at the Radii restaurant during week days.
The whole point of paying for a club room is to be away of the hustle and crowds that are usually around these areas.

We ordered room service on the first night and have no complaints, the food arrived on time, well made and tasty.
My only real issue from the whole stay was the food and beverage offerings from both the lobby lounge and the Radii restaurant.
The staff, although polite, need more training as they were unable to identify and explain items on their menu or what teas they have to offer during High Tea.
Finally, while in the restaurant on our last day I discovered that there was a nice bar at the bottom of the restaurant, we would have had a number of drinks at this location had we known it was tucked down there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor.

While all in all positive, I cannot ignore the various matters you raised. The latter being the Air-conditioning in your room, the Park Lounge and indeed the staff in our restaurants. The air-conditioning can be turned off so I am very sorry that this was not explained to you or indeed actioned for you when you requested it to be done. The matter of the Park Lounge is also duly noted and indeed taken on board. The lounge, while an anomaly for a Park Hyatt Hotel, offers all day refreshments, wireless internet access, deluxe evening beverages and canapés as well as continental breakfast to be taken in radii restaurant - with the exception of Sundays when continental breakfast is also served in the Lounge. The matter of its location to the room you occupied should have been pointed out to you when you arrived and given that it was not I will ensure that the front office team are spoken to about the importance of doing so, so as to avoid confusion. The matter of tired furniture is also noted and you will be pleased to hear that we have implemented a programme whereby each week furniture is removed from the hotel to be reupholstered before being returned. It is, as you can appreciate, a lengthy process.

Thank you once more for your comments and indeed for your support.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne and I look forward to you contacting me directly so that I can personally assist you.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel maybe half a dozen times since mid 2000's. The hotel was fine 8 years ago, but no longer is. The rooms need to be refurbished.

Also, the front desk entirely forgot the Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond set up. No welcome amenity and no welcome letter as on my previous visits.

I don't like that only the lower tier of internet is complimentary for Diamond members and the higher tier would have come with a very high price. Instead, I opted for Optus sim card and tethered on my super fast connection for 2 AUD per day.

The breakfast is fine, but the selection is rather limited and definitely not worth the 40 AUD price that they are asking for it.

The Park lounge is nice and spacious. They should have maybe bit clearer rule what age of kids are acceptable. I don't think that it is right place for toddlers during the evening cocktail hour. The cold hours devours are nice, but skip the hot ones.

Overall still ok, but not really luxurious.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete feedback on Trip Advisor.

While I was delighted to read that you have been a regular guest of ours for some time now, I was of course disappointed in what you wrote in terms of how you feel we have deteriorated over the years. All points, inc internet, have been taken on board though and will be shared with all. On the subject of internet, we do offer complimentary internet to our Diamond Gold Passport members. The matter of your Diamond status being overlooked is indeed a mystery. I do not know your identity but and that aside, we will ensure the importance of our front office team and indeed, reservations, making sure that all profiles are correctly linked at all times so that there is no chance for this to reoccur again in the future.

I hope you will return and that when you do you will contact me directly so that I can personally look after you.

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

GOODS
room was beautifully presented with comfortable mattress and pillows
bathroom is great
room overlooks the park
walking distance to the city

BADS
the lobby is quite dark and dull, a makeover would look great

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and the hotel’s facilities. Your comment about the lobby also noted and indeed will be shared.

I trust you are well and hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne again soon.

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having been to Melbourne on numerous business trips i have had an opportunity to stay at many different hotels. The last trip was business as well as a family holiday and I must admit the stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne was one of the best so far. The hotel is so well located, close to the parks as well as walking distance to the shopping area. As a tourist you couldn't ask for more
The menu is limited to say the least especially at breakfast. We stayed for 7 nights and everyday it was the exact same thing for breakfast, no variety at all. The hotel management should try and look into this. Other than this of course, everything else was greatWe took a number of tour buses and they pick you from the hotel itself, which is very convenient . We had 2 inter-connected rooms. The service was brilliant, always correct & quick. The gym was very well equipped and whilst i didn't try the pool it did look inviting.We ate a couple of meals at the restaurant in addition to having the breakfast.

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor room, church side, these are quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your super comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay while here in Melbourne. Of course, I cannot and will not turn a blind eye to the comments you made about breakfast and will certainly discuss this with our executive chef.

Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after your accommodation requirements.

I trust you are well and thank you again for your honest feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had fond memories of the Park Hyatt after "recovering" there for a few days after having my first child. So I quite looked forward going back there to stay overnight, to attend a friend's wedding.
We arrived at the check in time of 2pm, giving us enough time to change into our wedding attire and brief the babysitter before heading downstairs to the ceremony at 3pm. Or so we thought. We left our car and luggage with the valet whilst we checked in and met with our sitter. At 2.30pm I asked my husband to ring to ask where our bags were. The person he spoke to said they would find out and call us back immediately. At 2.45pm he went downstairs to try an locate them and in the meantime a staff member rang e and told me they weren't holding any bags for us. Um, so where the hell were our bags??? At 3pm they finally located them - they had taken them to a relatives room. Even though I had booked our room under my maiden name, and given the valet my maiden name (to avoid confusion with relatives that were also staying in the hotel) - they looked at an old Crown Towers luggage tag that was attached to one of the bags (with my husbands name on it) and delivered the bags to his brothers room. I didn't understand - as we were in the Park Hyatt, not Crown Towers. A stupid mistake and as a result we did not make it to the wedding ceremony and missed out on seeing our friends tie the knot.

Sitting in the tea lounge after we had ordered 9 glasses of Veuve we had to ask twice for some nuts. We also ordered some food that never came (though we looked on our bill the next morning and had been charged for it...)

he next morning we went down to the Radii restaurant for breakfast. When we were walked in we were met with an "Sorry but there aren't any tables. You can wait in the lobby if you like." Ummm okaayyy....how long will we be waiting for? I was met with a shrug and "I don't know." Right then. Thankfully a staff member with a slightly better understanding of hospitality came out and told us we could order breakfast from the a la carte menu in the tea lounge area. Which we did. And 50 minutes later had to ask someone to check on our order which lo and behold came out 5 minute after we asked. They clearly don't know how to cope when busy and there were no smiles from any of the staff members.

I left thinking that if they paid service staff in Australia like they do in the States, and they had to work for tips, the service would be a hell of a lot better. There was just no finesse that one would expect from a 5 star establishment and I wouldn't really bother with this hotel again. It wasn't that it was exceptionally bad, just that nothing was amazingly good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor albeit their being of such negative feedback.

I was of course somewhat mortified to read your review and indeed all that you highlighted, from lost luggage, to lack of service in our restaurant and indeed, to your missing the nuptials of your friends. Not good. While I do not know who you are, I am investigating all that you have reported to see if I can get to the bottom of what you have described.

My sincerest apologies to you and your husband. In order to redeem ourselves, I would certainly appreciate for you to contact me directly.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I trust you are well and thank you once more for your candid feedback.

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Been to Park Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!