“Always the best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Park Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Parliament Square | off Parliament Place, Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Gourmet Delight
Ranked #9 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“Always the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have probably stayed at this beautiful hotel 20 times since it opened and it is our Melbourne favourite. Every inch of this art deco inspired beauty is a delight. Even the basic rooms are a wonderful balance between glamour and comfort. I'm not suggesting that little things can't go wrong- of course they can in a large hotel- but one word to the staff and graceful backflips are immediately executed to put things right.

We recently hosted family for a weekend for a 60 th birthday celebration here and there is no doubt the hotel contributed to the making of an important family memory.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the staff cleaning rooms and air conditioners
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor and indeed for your fantastic support over the years! Great to read that you enjoy staying here and that you have been staying with us since we opened. I was also delighted to read that the birthday celebrations went well.

Let me know when you plan to return so that I can assist you with your reservation!!

I trust you are well and thank you again for your honest feedback. My apologies too for my somewhat late reply!!

782 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We spent New Year's Eve at the Park Hyatt for the second time after trying another top Melbourne hotel in 2011. The Park Hyatt is a high quality, beautifully appointed hotel a 3 minute walk to Collins or Bourke Sts, the heart of the CBD. We stayed in a suite, beautifully appointed, spacious with a world class bathroom. The reception staff were helpful, friendly and efficient. Breakfast in Radii restaurant was most enjoyable with a wide range of choices. The Park Hyatt is no budget hotel but you do have to pay a price for luxury and quality in my opinion and it would be hard to find a better luxury hotel in Melbourne. We will return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed on New Year's Eve, to watch the fire works.
Huge rooms for a city hotel.
Great lap pool.
Huge walkin robes and bathrooms.
Bathrooms with glass sinks huge baths with a tv.
Staff were very helpful and kind.
Buffet breakfast was delicious.
But room service not recommend, very expensive.
They got the order wrong a couple of times.
We ordered sparking water and two bowls of chips.
Still water came and only one bowl of chips.
Also a little bit of mould on the grout in the shower.
Altogether a great hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floors have and rooms facing the city have a better view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and I am sorry that it has taken some time to respond to you!

We appreciated your candid comments and while I can see that you enjoyed your stay here, I cannot ignore the matters highlighted, room service incorrect order and indeed the shower cubical. Rest assured your comments will be shared and while I do not know which room you occupied we will ensure that there is an emphasis on checking the grouting in the showers and of course we will also highlight the importance of listening and indeed repeating all room service orders.

Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after your accommodation requirements.

I trust you are well.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Park Hyatt Melbourne twice over Christmas and New Year whilst visiting family. We had a King club room for 6 nights and after a short side trip stayed in a King Room. The King Club room was a huge open plan sitting and bedroom. There was a separate walk in wardrobe attached to the spacious bathroom. We made full use of this space for Christmas shopping and presents. The King Club room had a view of the Melbourne Cricket ground. The room decor, dark wood and art deco was beautiful but designed for soft lighting. The public spaces in the Hotel are luxurious and ostentatious, dark marble floors with a complex interlocking circles pattern and a lot of sculpture. The location is quite secluded, close to a large church, Parliament and the Treasury Gardens it is less noisy than other central Melbourne Hotels. It is still within a couple of minutes walk of Collins and Bourke Street where there are numerous shops, restaurants and theatres. The Club Room only serves continental breakfast on Sunday's, it's elegant and old fashioned with an excellent view. On other days breakfast in the Lobby Restaurant had good food but very indifferent service with long waits for coffee and butter which on several days only arrived after several follow ups. I've stayed in a lot of hotels over the Christmas period and know that the best staff aren't always available but the consistent confusion here was worse than I would expect. We used the pool and the gym which were spacious and had good changing facilities. We also stayed in a King Room, this didn't have the huge space of the Club room but still had a separate wardrobe. It was absolutely comfortable for a short stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was another return visit. It's hard to put my finger on what it is that doesn't quite work at this hotel for me, but I always leave feeling not particularly happy about it. I have stayed here several times (reviewed twice) and feel the same way each time. On the plus side, the rooms are great; the bathrooms wonderful; the rooms and public areas are meticulously clean and well maintained; the staff are professional and polite ... and perhaps that's it: they are professional and polite, but not friendly - especially when compared with the Park Hyatt Dubai (my favourite) and the Park Hyatt Washington. If that's all I have to complain about, it's not much is it? :)

I travel to Melbourne regularly for work, and I don't think I'll go to the Park Hyatt again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Beautiful, stunning art deco architecture tucked away in a secluded spot in the city of Melbourne. Hidden gem. Service was generally excellent. We stayed for a little less than a week and found it extremely relaxing and enjoyable. Luxurious appointments. The incredible size of some of the rooms makes you feel special.

Room Tip: Pick a room overlooking the church
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Check in time is 2pm, we arrived around 1pm and our room was not available, then at 220pm when we returned our room was still not ready, it was not until 320pm when I had to again approach the staff at concierge that our room was changed and we were given our room key. The room was the same, however the view was not. (I was told the view was good, you could only see the centre of the hotel, not any of Melbourne) Then on top of that I had to ring again and ask for our bags to be delivered to the room, this is substandard compared to other 5 star hotels I have stayed at. The simplest of things, seemed so hard. Never again.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, albeit they being really rather negative! Of course I was not thrilled to read what you wrote and would like to apologise for the issues you encountered while staying here. I note your saying that you will never return. That said, should you decide to, then I would insist you contact me directly so that I can assist you with your accommodation requirements. It would be a pleasure.

I trust you are well and thank you again for your feedback.

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Been to Park Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!