“A beautiful hotel and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Melbourne

You added Park Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Parliament Square | off Parliament Place, Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Gourmet Delight
Ranked #8 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A beautiful hotel and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a beautiful and very appealing hotel; in the decor and fitout of the public areas, the furnishings, the grand piano in the lounge and lovely outdoor courtyard.
Our room was spacious, very well provisioned, including a coffee maker, books and magazines, good room for clothes and suitcases and immaculately clean.
Although we were on the ground floor, our room was very quiet, despite there being conferences and wedding receptions in the hotel.
The location is perfect; being easy walking distance to the city and set amongst lovely parks and churches, making for a quieter environment.
Whilst reception service was excellent, we found bar and lounge service did not meet our expectations. We sat in the courtyard one afternoon and despite staff being present, we were never asked what we might like. Similarly in the lounge with the piano, we waited quite some time another evening to order additional drinks, whilst three staff were present, but were chatting amongst themselves and we even had to wave to attract their attention. In the bar downstairs, service was not so lacking, but still took longer than expected.
An overall impression is only as good as the weakest link, so service aspects let this Hyatt down somewhat. Otherwise, it was very enjoyable stay at this lovely establishment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on Trip Advisor.

While I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your overall experiences here at Park Hyatt Melbourne, I cannot ignore the negative points you raised about service. I found these rather disheartening to read but certainly appreciate your candid feedback based on your observations and indeed your experience in the various food and beverage outlets that you listed. I can confirm that I have shared your comments with our director of food and beverage who will in turn discuss with the respective managers responsible for the areas in question. We value feedback of this nature and will certainly use it constructively!

Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after you.

I write this trusting you are well.

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Park Hyatt while attending a conference for two days. The rooms and facilities were of an exceptionally high standard. The bathroom had a large luxurious spa, and rooms were spacious with large comfortable bed and many pillows. There was a business/work desk as well as a lounge chair and table, and this was in the standard room.
The breakfasts provided were excellent, especially the freshly cooked eggs. Great range of fruits, grain breads as well as cereals and pastries. The food provided for the conference lunches and morning and afternoon teas were delicious and a great variety of items was on offer. The room service dining would benefit from a range of light or healthy choices for light snacks rather than just the club sandwiches and burgers with salad and fries.
The hotel is located near Parliament House and Fitzroy Gardens ( which includes Captain Cooks Cottage), and historic churches. A slightly longer walk reaches Chinatown and shopping areas.
It was a luxurious venue, making for an enjoyable stay, and allowing relaxation in the pool or gym after conference sessions.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
I have just read your great review on Trip Advisor and wanted to thank you for posting these!

I think fair to assume you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to both sample many of the hotels facilities and also enjoy that of the hotel’s location. The latter we think is great as it offers the best of both worlds. No need to tell you that as you highlighted that in your feedback.

I hope that you will return and that when you do you will contact me directly so that I can personally look after your reservation.

I trust you are well.

Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My son and I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of October. We were fortunate enough to stay in a terrace suite which was huge! Best bathroom I have seen in a hotel and it even had a separate toilet - love that. Walk in robe was fantastic and that is where you will find a coffee machine and kettle. Heaps of hanging space and plenty of room for bags. Room was quiet and I didn't hear any noise from the other rooms. Room was spotless. My son had a roll a way bed and he wanted to take it home with him as it was so comfortable.
Dinner in the radii was beautiful. My son suffers from life threatening allergies as well as coeliac disease and they took my concerns seriously and cooked him in his words the best meal he has ever had!
If you can afford it book a club room. Club lounge is very spacious and the food and drinks at night were wonderful. Rate also includes breakfast.
The suite was a real treat for us - don't know if we will be able to afford it next year but we will certainly be booking a club room. Am looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Higher floors have lovely views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Trip Advisor. I loved the title of your piece “Fantastic Hyatt!”

I think fair to say that you and your son enjoyed your stay and indeed the Terrace Suite! The latter are super rooms and offer great views too of the cathedral. I was delighted also to read that we were able to cater to your son’s needs while you both dined in radii. That said I hope that he is well.

I hope that when you return next year that you will contact me directly so that I can assist you.

We look forward to welcoming you and of course your son, back to Park Hyatt Melbourne.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is another great Park Hyatt from the Hyatt chain. Nice location (just a couple of blocks from the main shopping area), and amazing Art Decco style....lots of wood, metals and marble. The room was large with all the possible amenities. The only Park Hyatt with a Park Club Lounge of all the Park Hyatt hotels. Myrna runs the Club and she is a great hostess. Appetizers and drinks were exceptional. Breakfast is offered at the restaurant and for an additional $8 AU you can have hot eggs. Look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: High floor...with access to the Park Club Lounge.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful review in Trip Advisor.

I think you highlighted all of our main attributes so and in saying that I was delighted to read that you like what we like to think sets us apart from our competitors!! I was also delighted to read your comment about Myrna in the Park Lounge and can assure you that these will be shared with her and that she will be rewarded. Again, thank you!

Do let me know if you plan to return so that I can personally look after your accommodation requirements.

I trust you are well and we look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and enjoyed most things about it. The staff are friendly and helpful and the restaurant (Radii) excellent. Our suite was a bit on the bland side but not too bad. However, what really lets the hotel down is the charge they apply for in-room internet. We paid AU$750 per night for our suite and internet was another AU$29 per day on top of this. When we questioned this charge on top of our suite rate we were told that all rooms in the hotel must pay for in-room internet. I think that in Australia, you can probably get home internet packages for a whole month for around $29!! This is the 21st century and in-room internet access so you can surf or check mails at your leisure is almost a necessity. For a hotel to be ripping guests off in this way in today's society is totally unacceptable. Next time we go to Melbourne, we'll check in somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your candid comments in Trip Advisor.

While all-in-all positive I cannot ignore your comment about the internet. This is not as simple as our giving it away as we purchase it from a third party and with that we sell it on. I can assure you that we are looking at a better way to combat the negativity with charging and will hopefully have something to communicate on this sometime in 2013. Watch this space.

I ask that you contact me directly when you plan to return so that I can personally look after your accommodation request!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights (the first was our wedding night). This hotel was lovely. The room was very large and comfortable. We ate in the restaurant and had a delicious meal. The hotel is very clean. The location was great and we were able to walk to a nice place for breakfast. We will definitely stay here for our wedding anniversary!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic comments! That and congratulations on your recently getting married!

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your two nights with us and note that you said you might look to returning for your anniversary! Please let me know if you do so that I can personally look after your reservation!!

I trust you are both well and that married life if being good to you both!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I stay in this hotel whenever I am in town and it always hits the spot. Perfect location as its close to all the hot spots. Great staff and friendly service and lets not forget to mention the food!!!

The price ranges but Definetly worth every penny.

• Stayed August 2012
Wow! I really enjoyed reading your to the point review you posted in Trip Advisor!! Thank you so much and needless to say we look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne soon. Do let me know if I can assist you in any way at all when it comes to making your reservation.

I trust you are well.

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Been to Park Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!