“Showing its age” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Park Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Parliament Square | off Parliament Place, Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Gourmet Delight
Ranked #10 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Hong Kong
“Showing its age”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Park Hyatt Melbourne was THE Hotel several years ago when it opened; its now over ten years old and its showing its age. To keep it at the top and its Park Hyatt status it probably needs to be closed likes its Sydney sister property and get a face lift! The location, East of Melbourne City Center (well at the edge) is convenient to the MCG or Rod Laver Arena, Carlton & Fitzroy. There are newer hotels that have opened or older hotels that have been renovated and this hotel no longer holds the distinction of being Melbourne's most prestigious. Don't get me wrong, its still a lovely hotel with large rooms; make sure you get a good deal.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
We appreciate your taking the time to post comments on Trip Advisor.

While I can see you enjoyed most aspects of your stay is is evident that you were not completely enamored with our hotel, or for that matter, its facilities. You are quite right in that our hotel has been open for a little over one decade. That said and due to the quality of our fixtures and fittings, we prefer to continually restore what we have. The latter actually something we do on a daily basis through that of a thorough maintenance programme. These being, continual maintaining of the wood work, marble floors, leather surfaces, upholstery and so on and so forth. Of course these things take time but I can assure you they are areas that are being addressed.

We are also always looking at improving on our in-room technology and offerings with the latest additions being iPod docking stations and Nespresso coffee machines.

I trust you will return and should you decide to do so then I would welcome you to contact me directly so that I can personally look after your reservation. Please note all of my contact details below.

765 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Indonesian first
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

We were booked in here by my new mother-in-law for a mini honeymoon on our way back to NZ and it was fabulous, luxury. My husband put it well when he said I feel like I'm James Bond! The staff were fantastic, the location and the room could not be improved on. We had a fabulous stay and loved every minute of it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Thank you for your great comments post your recent stay here at Park Hyatt Melbourne on Trip Advisor.

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time here and that you found our staff to be fantastic. I will ensure your comments are shared with them too!

Please let me know if you plan to return so that I can personally look after your accommodation request.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance to you.

_________________________________________
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002

________________________________________
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed 4 nights in a Club King Deluxe, visiting for the Australian Open, we had a perfect view of Rod Laver Arean. Perfect walking distance to all sporting venues. The room was spacious and our sons rollaway bed did not take any space away to the living. Bed was comfortable, amenties abundant with good coffee in the room. Large shower, in fact large bathroom for the whole family. Club Lounge is worth the extra for quiet dining/drink and the evening canapes a great selection, better than many lounges I have used around the world. Room service was efficient and we ordered dessert most nights and had the same gentleman deliver it who was very pleasant and professional. All staff were pleasant, housekeeping were so discreet with room cleaning, done twice a day but we never saw them. Afternoon tea in the lobby was a nice touch on our last day. Utilises the 25m pool which was fantastic enough room for 4 people to swim laps at once which is plenty of room. Gym was large and always machines available to choose from at anytime. Played tennis on the roof top court which although short on backline space was still fun. Alround a great trip made greater by fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and book a Club Room it is worth it. We were on floor 16 and very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read how much you all enjoyed your time here at Park Hyatt Melbourne while you were here to attend the Australian Open. It is clear to see you were all able to enjoy most of our hotel's facilities and I thank you for listing them in such detail (coffee machine in room - Nespresso, large Shower, the 25 meter lap pool and indeed our gym). Not to mention of course your glowing comments in relation to our Park Lounge and High Tea in the Tea Lounge.

I certainly hope you will all return and insist that when you do you make contact with me so that I can personally assist you with your accommodation requirements.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Park Hyatt Melbourne for a nice 3 day getaway. Got upgraded to a spa room with huge bathroom, high floor and nice views of the city. Club access was delightful and the views from the club lounge of the city were amazing. Best tip would be to utilize the club lounge during the day for a great view and coffee. The tv in the spa was a real treat too, made us feel like rockstars. Already planning our next trip back for early Feb and can't wait!

• Stayed December 2011
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read how much you both enjoyed your stay here and that you enjoyed the room along with its facilities! Agreed the TV's in the bathrooms are a major asset, as are the amount of rooms we have with Spa baths.

Please contact me when you plan to return so that we can make you both feel like both royalty and rock-stars again!!

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I was actually quite disappointed in the Park Hyatt. My partner and I went to Melbourne for our one year anniversary and wanted to do something special. For the price I paid (I think around $330 a night) I expected the decent service. While the rooms was nice, with a comfortable bed and a large bathroom with spa one incident spoilt our experience here. We thought it would be a really nice idea to purchase a picnic basket the hotel offers and go into the parklands for lunch. The picnic basket was about $100 plus you pay a $100 deposit that you get back once you return the basket. The food in the picnic basket was generally very good except when we opened our salad to our horror we found a snail inside. We don't usually complain but we took the basket back to management and politely pointed out the mistake and the girl at the desk was very apologetic and offered us either some chocolates or champagne to be sent to our room as my partner doesn't really drink champagne we said we would love the chocolates. However late in the evening our chocolates still hadn't arrived so my partner contacted reception and the person on the desk said they would send up both chocolates and champagne right away. Then about five minutes later a lady who I presume was a manager called back and questioned my partner about the incident. While she wasn't outrightly rude she was very bunt and I was annoyed that she felt the need to question us after the we had found the snail in our food and told us this was because the lettuce was fresh. I don't care how fresh the lettuce is I don't believe it is unreasonable to expect snails to not be present in a salad. She did sent up a bottle of champagne however as I previously mentioned we had been given a choice and had asked for the chocolates since my partner does not really like champagne. To top it all off when we checked out luckily my partner checked the bill as they had failed to refund the $100 deposit for the basket.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Trip Advisor. I am sorry for not responding sooner and note that your report dates back to May of 2011. That said, it is apparent that we fell short in proving you the high levels of service synonymous with Hyatt Hotels & Resorts. I am of course referring to the salad and indeed the way the incidence was handled. That and the fact that matters were made worse when we failed to deliver what was then promised to compensate for the incidence that took place earlier.

I would hope that we would have the opportunity to welcome you both back to the hotel and that if you did return that we could redeem ourselves.

Please contact me when you plan to return so that I can personally look after your accommodation requirements.

Vic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

There is no denying the Park Hyatt is starting to show its age but being our Hotel of Choice in Melbourne we are never disappointed.
5 Star in all areas.
Radii never disappoints, nor does the Day Spa and wet areas....although there were a few loose/missing tiles recently in the pool spa recently.....odd.
Business and pleasure we are there at least a dozen times a year.... always leave smiling.

Room Tip: all are good
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne. Your feedback is certainly appreciated and will be shared with my team.

I also noted your comment about the pool and am happy to advise that we are about to close it to restore/repair the tiling and some other areas that need to be addressed in that part of the hotel. The works to take around three to four weeks and will commence on the 16th of February. So and that said I would hope that when you return you will see the improvements, while all very subtle, that have been made.

Please do not hesitate to contact me when you wish to return. All of my details are listed below and I would welcome contact from you.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Stayed here for anniversary for one night only.
We got upgraded to Diplomat Suite which was AMAZING.
Staff at front desk sooooo great -after all - they upgraded us so how can I complain!
The Hotel is in a great area.
Near Beautiful Parks, Gardens and minutes from all the CBD happenings.
Spa, Pool, Bar all very nice and is 5 star all the way.

My only negative: the hotel is a little outdated. Feels very 90's..... If modern is what you are after then I am not sure this Hotel is for you. Its Classic, beautiful, but feels a little old school.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor!

Your comments appreciated and I am thrilled that we were able to make your anniversary even more memorable by that of upgrading you both to one of our Diplomatic Suites! Both are such stunning rooms. Thank you too for also praising other aspects of the hotel. That said I am sorry you found the hotel to be a little out dated but I think two of the words in your your last sentence summed us up, they being "Classic & Beautiful!"

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to return. All of my details are listed below and I would welcome contact from you.

Luxury is Personal

Been to Park Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!