“Nice hotel; great location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #41 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Nice hotel; great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Very well located. Nice hotel and good standard. Well located within walking distance to most things in the city. Easy stroll to train, tram and buses.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
JeffHermes, General Manager at Mantra On Russell, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear Colway,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor.
We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again soon.

Regards
Jeff Hermes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

This place probably doesn't deserve the one blob 'terrible' rating (but no one reads the in-between reviews, do they?). Ended up here because the hotel I was originally booked into had lost my reservation and couldn't accommodate me as they were full. Having just landed from the UK after a 33 hour journey and not knowing what the alternatives might be, I accepted the offer of the "only room available" at the Mantra on Russell which was a one bedroom apartment. Did they see me coming? Probably.

To put it simply, you'd expect a lot more from a AUD$250 apartment/room. The living room was spacious but so minimally furnished that it just looked empty and characterless; acres of carpet between sofa and TV, with nothing else of interest in the room apart for the kitchenette with its heaps of overpriced crisps, nuts and drinks.

The bedroom was adaquate without being luxurious while the bathroom was yellowing, badly lit and generally old-fashioned, with the occasional hairy evidence of a previous guest.

The hotel is on the edge of Melbourne's China Town and therefore can get a bit noisy on a Saturday night. I had to walk past paramedics attending to drunk revellers lying on the pavement outside the hotel and the local bars all seemed to have muscle outside the doors and people who couldn't hold their drink inside the doors.

My biggest bug-bear is that this hotel charges a whacking AUD$25 per day for internet access. In this day and age, how can this be justified? Do they charge for tap water and electricity? For something that costs them practically nothing, this is pure robbery.

Checking out, I had two credit cards rejected. The manager said this often happened and that I would need to contact the credit card companies who could then 'unblock' my cards for use abroad. I subsequently spent the best part of a Sunday trying to contact the card companies only to be told when I got through that there was no problem with the card but that it was the hotel's machine that was at fault.

All in all, not the first-time welcome to Australia I had been anticipating and, given the superior quality of the other hotels I stayed in while I was in the country, I would definitely stay clear of this place should I return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
JeffHermes, General Manager at Mantra On Russell, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Dear Verchaixbob,

Firstly thank you for your feedback as it is appreciated. Secondly I would like to apologise that your experience did not meet your expectations. Certainly the long flight and the lost booking would have added to the your experience but nevertheless we did not meet all of your expectations nor did we meet all of ours.

As the recently appointed general manager, I can assure you that all of your valuable feedback will be reviewed in the near future with the intention of improving the services and facilities we offer our guests.

Kind Regards
Bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

good location for my work, on the corner of the central business district. old and low quality rooms. The worst aspect for me is the miniature tvs (my computer screen is about the same size) with 4 and a half channels and remotes that only work if you slam then against the desk and press the power button 8 times and also the internet which is only offered in 1 day packages limited to 400MB or 2 hour packages. Neither work for me where I typically skype with my family at night after I get home from work and maybe rent an itunes movie for entertainment. I might consider renting a hotel movie if the tv wasn't such a piece of crap. lastly the walls are paper thing and I often hear my neighbors moving around.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
JeffHermes, General Manager at Mantra On Russell, responded to this review, August 1, 2010
Dear KrisBKK,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback. While I was disapponited to read that we did not meet all of your expectations, any feedback that leads up to having a better product or providing a better level of service is appreciated.

Your comment about the TVs has been addressed and in the near future we will be installing new TVs throughout the guest rooms. We wil also be identifying how we can offer better in room services.

I also acknowledge your comment about paper thin walls. While this is an uncommon issue we will certainly be investigating.

Once again thank you for your feedback

Tasmania, AUS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Back from staying at Mantra on Russell for the second time.
It is in a very central location. Staff were again helpful and friendly.
Internet is still too expensive! It should be free in hotels IMO.
Due to its location we heard a lot of noise from partying people Fri and Sat nights.
Last time I stayed there it was during the week so it was not noisy at night at all.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I have stayed numerous times at the Mantra as it is close to my workplace/for nightlife.
The rooms have always been spacious, clean and modern.
I have stayed in the Studio with the huge bed and in the apartment with round balcony and kitchen. My favorite asset of a hotel room would be a nice comfy bed.
I have never been dissapointed by the grade of the rooms and the staff has always been very helpful.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

This is a great hotel, the room was spacious, clean and very well equipped. The beds were comfortable. Although it was Chinese New Year when we arrived, we were not disturbed by noise at night. I was with my elderly Mother and she was very happy! Best of all, nothing was too much trouble for the friendly and professional staff. The pool and gym are fabulous and the location is perfect for Chinatown and the Greek Precinct. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
geelong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

We paid approx $200 a night over the long weekend which we thought was good value.
Location great for shopping and restaurants. Check in fast and efficient. Room large size for a studio and great to have a balcony. Nice and clean inside except the king bed was very uncomfortable. Don't park at the hotel car park - too expensive $30 - go down russell st approx 30m and you can park over night on the weekend for approx $10

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Mantra On Russell? Share your experiences!