“Nice hotel, good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Mantra on Sale
Ranked #62 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Australia
“Nice hotel, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Hi three of us (two adults one baby) stayed here for the weekend just gone, found it to be a good location, close to both shopping areas in the CBD, and not far from anywhere, short stroll to Fed Square.

We booked a one bedroom apartment with two beds, it was a queen with a sofa bed, I lucked out and got the sofa bed which wasnt too comfortable I ended up putting the mattress on the floor. It was pretty roomy and big and overall a nice hotel. We didnt have breaky we just went to Woolies and got supplies from there.

Friday and Saturday night there was a nightclub nearby which might be a bit noisy if you were on the lower floors, we were on the 12th floor could hear it but wasnt too bad. If you're sensitive to noise i would bring earplugs but I think that goes for any CBD hotel.

Everyone was helpful. I would happily stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I recently stayed at the Mantra on Russell with friends. We had booked a two bedroom apartment requesting twin beds in each room. It was a pleasant surprise to find the room just as we wanted. Previous stays in other hotels has shown that even though this configuration is offered and requested, it is frequently not delivered.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was large and clean and the beds comfortable. It was great to have a decent sized bathroom and a second separate toilet when staying with a group.
The indoor pool and spa area provided a nice place to relax after a long day out.
The only downside of the location was noise coming from local clubs and hotels late into the night even though we were on the 10th floor.
Overall a great hotel in a handy location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

mantra was clean and neat. car parking is next door with access via lift from hotel. very limited parking spaces, so had to park in the general public part of the car park with no security for the same price. on our return to hotel to park car about 11.30pm Saturday night the car park was not safe, lots of drunk people, cars racing around, burnouts, not great at all.

the hotel is right next to China town, ( as in next door ) so very noisy, woken every hour by car horns , sirens , police, ambulance noise, certainly no double glazing on windows.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed here for three nights in July. I had booked a one bedroom apartment with two beds but at the last minute my sister was unable to come along so when I checked in I asked if I could just have one bed and it was given to me without any fuss. The apartment was huge (1308) with a very spacious kitchen/dining/living area. The bedroom was adequate and the bathroom was large. The phone in the bedroom did not work and I thought the lighting in the living area could have been a little brighter but generally speaking it was great. There was a tv in the living area and one in the bedroom. The bed was comfortable and even though the apartment was up high, I could still hear the nightclub music and yahooing well into the early hours of Sunday morning. So I would suggest ear-plugs! The bathroom was spacious and the amenities included a shower cap which is always a big plus in my book. There was a room clean on Sunday but the cleaner didn't see the towels I had hung on the back of the bathroom door and I ended up with about eight towels and six face-washes by the time I was leaving. There is a nice selection of Twinings tea in the kitchen including herbals which was a nice touch. There are champagne flutes in the cupboard, again a big plus from me as I love to drink champagne. The Mantra is conveniently located right near China Town so close to lots of restaurants and only a few minutes walk from Bourke St Mall. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip when my favorite hotel was fully hooked out. Room was surprisingly large with balcony and bathroom was also larger than most hotel bathrooms. The bed looked huge but turns out was just 2 beds pushed together (which came apart during the night). Location is excellent, plenty of pubs and restaurants in all directions. The staff were extremely friendly. The access to parking is a bit confusing and pretty expensive. This didn't overtake my favorite hotel in the city, but still a very decent backup and I won't complain if I get booked into this hotel again.

Stayed May 2012
Harball
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I recently stayed here for a work visit to Melbourne. The Mantra exceeded my expectations:

Location - The hotel is around the corner from Chinatown, 5 min walk from Old Melbourne Gaol and a 4 min walk from Collins/Little Collins St shops. A great 24 hour Greek restaurant is across the road so make sure you get a midnight souvlaki!

Accomodation: I stayed in a hotel room, while my colleagues stayed in a 1 bed apartment. The rooms were clean, contemporary and super warm for Melbournes winter. The staff excelled at service with a smile and super fast response times. A lovely girl even remembered my name each time I walked in.

Food: I only ate here for breakfast and I was impressed. I loved that the mantra offered the traditional continental and cooked buffet, but a la carte was also an option. There was also plenty of healthy options such as organic yoghurt and gluten free and home made muesli options.

I will be back and with my husband this time! He owes me a shopping trip! :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Port Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

My partner and i stayed here for 4 nights and we have loved it. Rooms are a great size and serviced daily the location is perfect.
We got here about 10am but our room wasn't ready yet (check in time is not till 2) so they stored our luggage while we went for a walk. Our room was ready by midday and our luggage was waiting in the room!
The bed is so comfortable. Only surprise was that it is actually two singles pushed together. I had noticed it sunk in a little in the middle but didn't realise until the third night it was two singles so didn't really bother us that much.
Would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2012