“Stylish and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“Stylish and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel on two separate occasions, once for business, the other time for a quite weekend away with my husband. The rooms are spacious and the beds comfortable and I can highly recommend the "High Coffee" available in the bar. Unfortunately I cannot recommend the restaurant downstairs - a little average to tell you the truth. The hotel is well located, close to good restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Kelly K,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your kind feedback with me.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed both of your recent stays with us and also your High Coffee Experience. We have received great feedback since it started and it’s great to hear that it is still going in the right direction.

I hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you and your husband back to the hotel again soon.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

After a long trip, a night at the InterContinental is meant to be a pleasure.

Maybe my rating is not a true reflection of the service as it was Christmas Party season, but I don't feel that this should be an excuse for the noise levels in the rooms 8+ floors up!

Each room has a [sealed] "balcony" - for cosmetic purposes only. The problem with this is that the IC host functions right below, and as Christmas parties are (and should be) they are noisy!

Just don't appreciate paying top dollar to listen to duff duff and shrill screaming, might as well have stayed at a King St backpackers....

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Aditools,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with me your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I was disappointed to note the noise related issues you experienced during your stay with us. As we look toward the future and assess these type of events your feedback is valuable. I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you further and have messaged you my private contact details.

I look forward to speaking with you.

wollongong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed two nights to see King Kong and shop. The Rialto is a beautiful hotel. The concept of enclosing two historic buildings into one hotel precinct is unique and very effective. The staff at this hotel are all very friendly,competent and accommodating. We had breakfast in the hotel and it was up to the usual Intercontinental standard but the staff were excellent and a credit to the hotel. It is the small things that make the difference in hotels of this standard and the Rialto has got them right. We would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WollongongAbc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear the you enjoyed the service my colleagues provided to your during your stay. You are right, it is the little things that made a difference and I am glad to hear that we have them right.

I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Kind regards
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

From the moment I got out of the taxi the service was incredible. A hotel member greeted took my bag & checked me in quickly.
The hotel lobby smells amazing. The inside of the hotel has a different look to it with two different towers on either side with a restaurant in the middle.
I stayed in a suite in the Rialto tower. The room was amazing.
They even provided a nespresso machine for your complementary coffee.
The king size bed was very comfortable. Although I didn't find the pillows all that comfortable.
I ordered room service and to my surprise my meal arrived a lot quicker than I thought it would. The serving size was also very generous.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel! I would 100% stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear LeeLei,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the service incredible, I know the team will be thrilled to hear this feedback. Thank you also for your observation on the aroma we currently have circulating in our lobby, this has recently been changed so it’s great to hear that it’s having a positive impact on our guests.

I hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

The Intercontinental Melbourne, the Rialto is very well located, the building in iself has its charm of old and historical. Now the rooms all have their windows for the inner patio, so expect not much day light. There is something about A/C in Melbourne. Is seems that hotels, restaurants and taxis only know two positions for A/C : 1. is off 2, Is set to minimum (16-18º) and to maximum speed.
That is also the case of the rooms in this hotel after cleaning, very uncomfortable. The breakfast is good but you may find yourself waiting until somebody shows your table. Tables have no table clothe, instead you will find your cutlery wrapped in the napkin. Wifi price is outrageous, we paid 25 usd each room everyday. It seems that they have gone the way of cutting expenses but did not figure out what makes customs happy.

Room Tip: All rooms have interior views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear rjfm1958,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback of your recent stay with us. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, and we try to consistently deliver on a high level of service. Please accept our apologies for falling short of your expectations on this day especially with the service received from the restaurant. Each room has its own individual temperature control which can be controlled once the key slot is accessed.

You will be delighted to note that from 2014 all our IHG Rewards Club Members will receive free Internet; the best part is it’s free to join.

Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed here for two nights after spending one night at the Holiday Inn at Tullamarine airport then one night at the Intercontinental in Adelaide. A couple of weeks ago I spent 2 nights at the Crown Metropol and one at the Crown Promenade in Melbourne. My fave was Intercontinental – Adelaide however in terms of this review being of a Melbourne hotel I would be more than happy to stay in any of the above places again (the Vibe Savoy is another good cheaper one and is directly across from Southern Cross station).

I spent two nights here on the company account but will review it as if I paid my own hard earned $’s for it.

Hotel is in a great location – only one block from Southern Cross railway station (where Skybus arrives from airport – you can also then get a separate skybus from station to various city hotels). Walking distance to Crown Casino, and right in CBD, etc.

Overall everything is positive about this hotel so I will list what I see as the only 3 negatives first up:

1. The room I was in was extremely small (#132). For a 4 or 5 star hotel this room is tiny. The king bed takes up the whole of the main space with just enough room each side to get out (does have small side tables each side). The bathroom is also pretty small but it is adequate.

2. Hotel needs more signage when you first get out of lifts to say where you then immediately go to get to your rooms (hard to explain but this could do with a little improvement).

3. Whilst the atrium effect looks great from the lobby I found it a tad impractical in terms of lack of natural light and lack of privacy. I opened the curtains in the morning and promptly had to close them again when I realised the glass was NOT one way (as I could see into another room myself).

The good stuff though, and why I would stay here again (if my company is paying):

Great location (as mentioned), very quiet room, very quiet and effective air con, good size flat screen TV, writing desk at end of bed is a very good size and has power points and data ports well laid out as well as video and audio jacks and a phone on the desk (as well as by the bed). In addition there is cupboard space (not a lot but adequate), fridge & mini bar, tea/coffee making, iron & ironing board, in room safe, Bose sound system (CD, radio, etc).

In the bathroom (albeit quite small but it was well lit) are good sized mirrors, a make up mirror, hairdryer, nice toiletries with nice amenities kit, scales (didn’t touch those after all the recent business dinners LOL) and the shower is equipped with 2 options – a wall/hand removable shower and also a full overhead rain shower. The towels are massive and fluffy. The water was warm (almost not hot enough) nor much water pressure (all 3 showers were identical) but not enough so to make it a negative.

The King bed was fantastically comfortable and the curtains are closed by pushing a button by the side of your bed. The curtains do their job fantastically as my room was very dark for sleeping (just as I like it but you can turn a little night light switch on if you want either side of the bed). There are reading lights operated independently on each side of the bed also and a big lamp and smaller reading lamp near the desk.

Staff were lovely in all area's and the restaurant (Alluvial) meal was very good (as were my room service dessert churros with chocolate sauce). Both breakfasts I ate in the dining room and they were fine - similar to other 4 & 5 star establishments (except the V Hotel in Bali which has the most sublime, ridiculous breakfast experience that nobody has beaten yet!). I liked the fresh juice machine to make my own morning vege juice (as I do this at home also).

Overall I was very happy with my stay here and would stay again but I am hoping next time I get a room a little bit bigger than Room 132 (on 1st flr). It didn’t really matter this time as I was primarily only in the room at night to sleep. If you are paying the high prices that a hotel like this asks (especially if for a special occasion) then I’d be asking first about the size of the room I would be getting first then I’d settle in and enjoy!

The reason I rated the 'value' as 3/5 (average) is the same as I rate most places over about $150 to $170 a night as average... the price paid just seems so over the top sometimes when I know I can stay at a little boutique hotel with everything I need for a fraction of the cost. Just because I really liked the place doesn't mean I think it is 'good value' overall. So ignore that rating if you like! :)

If the room had been more spacious to lay out your luggage and move around I would have rated this hotel 5/5. Perhaps other rooms are larger... if so and I get the chance to experience one of those (I'll be staying in Melb again in Feb for 3 days so I may choose here again) then I will most likely end up writing a 5/5 raving review about this lovely hotel! :)

Room Tip: Room #132 was appointed beautifully but very small for the price being paid. If size is not an issue...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Wishtago,
Thank you for staying at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto and also for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
I am delighted to hear that you felt the service provided by my colleagues throughout the hotel was excellent and thank you also for your comments regarding the juice station at breakfast. As a recent addition to the breakfast offering it is wonderful to hear that it is appreciated by our guests.
The feedback you gave to me is very important to us and will allow us to monitor and continually improve the services and offerings we have for our guests.
I hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at hotel for 2 nights with club lounge access which we found great. Service was great and staff were all very friendly. Room had nice feel and comfy bed but found our room could have been a bit more cleaner. Overall experience was good, just think the cleanliness of hotel could be improved.

• Stayed December 2013
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Mhl25,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback from your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

I was delighted to note that your enjoyed your overall experience at the hotel and in particular the Club Lounge. Thank you for your comments relating to the cleanliness of the hotel, your feedback is appreciated and will assist us in making improvements to our overall guest experience.

I hope that I might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!