“All excellent except my room & bathroom very small” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #9 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
“All excellent except my room & bathroom very small”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed here for two nights after spending one night at the Holiday Inn at Tullamarine airport then one night at the Intercontinental in Adelaide. A couple of weeks ago I spent 2 nights at the Crown Metropol and one at the Crown Promenade in Melbourne. My fave was Intercontinental – Adelaide however in terms of this review being of a Melbourne hotel I would be more than happy to stay in any of the above places again (the Vibe Savoy is another good cheaper one and is directly across from Southern Cross station).

I spent two nights here on the company account but will review it as if I paid my own hard earned $’s for it.

Hotel is in a great location – only one block from Southern Cross railway station (where Skybus arrives from airport – you can also then get a separate skybus from station to various city hotels). Walking distance to Crown Casino, and right in CBD, etc.

Overall everything is positive about this hotel so I will list what I see as the only 3 negatives first up:

1. The room I was in was extremely small (#132). For a 4 or 5 star hotel this room is tiny. The king bed takes up the whole of the main space with just enough room each side to get out (does have small side tables each side). The bathroom is also pretty small but it is adequate.

2. Hotel needs more signage when you first get out of lifts to say where you then immediately go to get to your rooms (hard to explain but this could do with a little improvement).

3. Whilst the atrium effect looks great from the lobby I found it a tad impractical in terms of lack of natural light and lack of privacy. I opened the curtains in the morning and promptly had to close them again when I realised the glass was NOT one way (as I could see into another room myself).

The good stuff though, and why I would stay here again (if my company is paying):

Great location (as mentioned), very quiet room, very quiet and effective air con, good size flat screen TV, writing desk at end of bed is a very good size and has power points and data ports well laid out as well as video and audio jacks and a phone on the desk (as well as by the bed). In addition there is cupboard space (not a lot but adequate), fridge & mini bar, tea/coffee making, iron & ironing board, in room safe, Bose sound system (CD, radio, etc).

In the bathroom (albeit quite small but it was well lit) are good sized mirrors, a make up mirror, hairdryer, nice toiletries with nice amenities kit, scales (didn’t touch those after all the recent business dinners LOL) and the shower is equipped with 2 options – a wall/hand removable shower and also a full overhead rain shower. The towels are massive and fluffy. The water was warm (almost not hot enough) nor much water pressure (all 3 showers were identical) but not enough so to make it a negative.

The King bed was fantastically comfortable and the curtains are closed by pushing a button by the side of your bed. The curtains do their job fantastically as my room was very dark for sleeping (just as I like it but you can turn a little night light switch on if you want either side of the bed). There are reading lights operated independently on each side of the bed also and a big lamp and smaller reading lamp near the desk.

Staff were lovely in all area's and the restaurant (Alluvial) meal was very good (as were my room service dessert churros with chocolate sauce). Both breakfasts I ate in the dining room and they were fine - similar to other 4 & 5 star establishments (except the V Hotel in Bali which has the most sublime, ridiculous breakfast experience that nobody has beaten yet!). I liked the fresh juice machine to make my own morning vege juice (as I do this at home also).

Overall I was very happy with my stay here and would stay again but I am hoping next time I get a room a little bit bigger than Room 132 (on 1st flr). It didn’t really matter this time as I was primarily only in the room at night to sleep. If you are paying the high prices that a hotel like this asks (especially if for a special occasion) then I’d be asking first about the size of the room I would be getting first then I’d settle in and enjoy!

The reason I rated the 'value' as 3/5 (average) is the same as I rate most places over about $150 to $170 a night as average... the price paid just seems so over the top sometimes when I know I can stay at a little boutique hotel with everything I need for a fraction of the cost. Just because I really liked the place doesn't mean I think it is 'good value' overall. So ignore that rating if you like! :)

If the room had been more spacious to lay out your luggage and move around I would have rated this hotel 5/5. Perhaps other rooms are larger... if so and I get the chance to experience one of those (I'll be staying in Melb again in Feb for 3 days so I may choose here again) then I will most likely end up writing a 5/5 raving review about this lovely hotel! :)

Room Tip: Room #132 was appointed beautifully but very small for the price being paid. If size is not an issue...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Wishtago,
Thank you for staying at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto and also for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
I am delighted to hear that you felt the service provided by my colleagues throughout the hotel was excellent and thank you also for your comments regarding the juice station at breakfast. As a recent addition to the breakfast offering it is wonderful to hear that it is appreciated by our guests.
The feedback you gave to me is very important to us and will allow us to monitor and continually improve the services and offerings we have for our guests.
I hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the near future.

1,085 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at hotel for 2 nights with club lounge access which we found great. Service was great and staff were all very friendly. Room had nice feel and comfy bed but found our room could have been a bit more cleaner. Overall experience was good, just think the cleanliness of hotel could be improved.

• Stayed December 2013
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Mhl25,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback from your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

I was delighted to note that your enjoyed your overall experience at the hotel and in particular the Club Lounge. Thank you for your comments relating to the cleanliness of the hotel, your feedback is appreciated and will assist us in making improvements to our overall guest experience.

I hope that I might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Stayed here on reward points as a IHG Platinum Elite member.
Received an upgrade to an executive room - probably worth noting that this does not get you access to the lounge as you need a "club" room for this, so this can be a bit confusing to some people (personally I'd call the room a "deluxe" rather than "executive" to eliminate confusion).

Overall the room was pretty standard for what I would expect, nothing exceptional, but nothing bad either.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bt91,

As a IHG Platinum Elite member thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with me.

I am sorry to hear that you found the names of our rooms a bit confusing and thank you for bringing this to our attention, we continually review all our feedback in order to make improvements to the hotel.

I hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Ballarat, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental Rialto on the weekend of 7th Dec 13. I had the most amazing stay, service was amazing and the meals were great. We had an incident at 6.30am in the morning, a drunk man tried to get into our room, however the hotel staff handled this perfectly. We were two young girls in a room worried. The hotel night manager came to our room and ensured for the rest of the morning we were safe. They wrote an incident report down etc. I am so happy with the outcome of the situation and knew I was safe in this hotel.

I recommend this hotel and hotel chain to anyone enquiring. I travel with business and leisure with the company I am employed with and will definitely be returning with this chain of hotels. I will refer this hotel and chain.

Thank you so much for the great experience and amazing service I couldn't have asked for anything more.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear AmeliaMatheson,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback.

I am glad to hear that our night manager was able to assist with your situation. It is important that all our guests feel safe in our hotel during each and every stay.

I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

I've been a regular visitor to the hotel since it opened as InterContinental Melbourne. During my last two stays service was poor, and I'd all but decided to book elsewhere on my next visit. However upon providing feedback, Sebastian (the Assistant Manager) got in touch, genuinely took on board the feedback and assured me improvements were afoot. I decided to give the hotel another chance. In all - a good stay with marked improvements to service.

More detail should you wish...

The hotel is luxurious throughout and continues to be exceptionally well maintained. Check in was informative. The Senior Suite was very spacious and well appointed (see my previous review of Jan-12 for further details of the Suite, incl photos). Service throughout the hotel was good, with requests dealt with in a timely manner. Staff were friendly. The room service menu has been improved markedly, with a number of options for those with dietary requirements - and good quality food. The Balanese massage at the Spa was exceptional.

In all, I'd certainly recommend the hotel - albeit service could still be a bit more attentive at times (specifically in the Club Lounge - which I suspect may have been an issue with staffing levels more than capability).

• Stayed November 2013
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Nick164,

As a return visitor to the hotel thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am so delighted to hear that you found this stay to have marked improvements to the levels of service from your previous visits. I hope that on your next visit to the hotel we can show you the further improvements we have made.

Collie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed one night. It was lovely. The softest and most decadent bed. Shower was wonderful. Staff were attentive. My only criticism was that there was NO BUTTER available during the breakfast buffet. I was told that they don't stock butter....ummmm a lot of people were looking for butter instead of meadowlea spread! Also there was some dishes left out side rooms when we checked in and they were still there the next day (4pm check in and 11 am check out)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Reculvers

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share the kind feedback on your recent stay with us.
I note your disappointment relating to the missing butter on our breakfast buffet. We do offer butter as an alternative to margarine however it is located in the refrigerated section so ensure it is kept at an optimum temperature. Be sure to ask one my food and beverage colleagues next time you stay with us, they will be more than happy to assist. It is important to us that you have all your requirements for an enjoyable breakfast experience with us.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed a week for business. Had to wait till afternoon to check in, as hotel was running at full occupancy, but was offered access to the pool deck for a shower / freshen-up.
Breakfast quality was good but range limited .
Echo sentiments from previous reviewers on the day shades / heavy night drapes that have to be kept drawn shut as rooms across the courtyard can look directly into yours.
Concierge service is fantastic - efficient and polite . front desk helpful.
Location is excellent for access to CBD, MCEC and Crown complex.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Superdin0,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your feedback of your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to note that you found the services provided by my colleagues at the front desk and concierge to be efficient and helpful.

I hope that on your next visit to Melbourne we have the opportunity to welcome you back to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!