“5 stars or more!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #10 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
“5 stars or more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Have stayed at the Intercontinental Melbourne many times over the last few years. Each stay gets better! Always stayed at Club level and being an ambassador always had a suite room. There so spacious and well appointed. You do really feel at home in a larger room that is commonly full of natural light. The rooms are always clean.

The club lounge has improved over time with eggs cooked to order. Although the breakfast downstairs is great. Take your pick which one. Always found my Ambassador benefits are honored in full each time.

The pool and spa rea is very nice, always clean and well cared for.

Overall can’t complain, look forward to my next stay in the coming weeks. Would recommended this hotel for business or leisure.

Room Tip: Club level or greater gives you the best rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear DylanP_ADL,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and experienced the benefits of your Ambassador membership. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

1,123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I've been staying at the InterContinental for all trips to Melbourne in the last 2 years due to its convenient location for my work.

My most recent stay indicates signs of cost cutting at the expense of guest comfort and cleanliness.

My room service tray, left by me in the hallway at about 5pm, was not cleaned up when I left at 7pm. It was still in plain sight of all staff/guests when I returned at 11pm. It was still there when I left for work the next day at 8am. Is there not enough staff to check the corridors in over a 12 hour period or have they just walked past this all evening and night?

My room was not turned down in the evening. On seeing this I also noticed my sheets had not been changed. Instead there were two small signs placed. One saying 'As per your request we have not changed your sheets'; another sign saying that for a turndown I need to call before 6pm each day to request one.

The fact that I need to walk around my room, during a busy work trip, and read every little note and place those notes in the correct spot or make the appropriate calls by said time, is simply ridiculous. These things should be done unless told NOT to. Not the other way around.
The same goes for towels in the bathroom.

What’s next? Do I need to place a sign on the toilet for it to be cleaned? another in the sink? …maybe one in the shower?

The room should be cleaned completely every day and turned down. Very simple. If a hotel can't do this on a daily basis without me needing to tell you - it should not have 5 stars.
If I don’t want my sheets cleaned, towels changed, toilet washed in order to reduce water/energy costs to the environment, I’m fine with being given this choice, but for goodness sake, this can’t be used as the default so that management can cut costs.

This being said – the service at the front counter and on the door is excellent.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Tjob22,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review. I am very sorry to hear you found elements of your stay dissatisfying. As is the industry standard, we give all our guests the choice to opt in for new towels and linen daily and you may indicate your desire for this through the in-room card. This is in line with our broader environmental initiatives however participation is entirely the choice of the guest. Equally turn down service is optional at your request to reduce unwanted interruptions during your stay. I am sorry you found this system problematic however and would very much like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you further. I have sent you my personal details via private message and invite you to contact me directly. I look forward to hearing from you.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was the first time I have visited the Rialto after several years.

In terms of location it is very good with easy access into the CBD, major train stations etc. The Hotel itself is physically a very attractive building and the setting internally is quite stunning. This is unquestionably a different look and feel from other 5 star rated CBD hotel locations in our other Australian CBD Hotels.

This stay was, however, very disappointing from a service perspective.

My chief issue was that, on arrival I presented a credit card, as usual, so an imprint could be taken for any extra charges. I had already prepaid my two nights accommodation. The first morning of my stay I realised, however, that my card had been debited for close to another $800. I queried this with reception and they acknowledged this was incorrect, but without apology. I was advised this would simply be acquitted following my departure. I asked that it be adjusted as the amount debited was large and well in excess of the cost of my prepaid booking. I was told action would be taken. The excess debit remained the next day on my departure. I again noted the issue and requested that it be adjusted promptly. It was 5 days before the amount was acquitted (this is not an issue just of bank clearance times - my experience is that other service providers process credits immediately).

Now this wasn't a problem for me as such but it could be for someone travelling extensively carrying a large amount of expense on their card.

This issue came on top of a couple of other instances of average and poor service in my two night stay.

I know that errors occur. I accept that. The mark of good service in a hotel is that when something does go wrong it is then dealt with quickly, efficiently and effectively. In effect a focus on customer service requires that you over service to fix the problem This did not occur. My strong sense was that customer service at the Rialto is about a standard process and that when something went wrong staff continued to follow that process. There was no apology, no follow through on corrective action, no customer service.

I will be disinclined to use The Rialto again and would not recommend it.

I must in conclusion acknowledge the great service from the gentleman who greeted me at the door on arrival and farewelled me on departure. It is a shame that the rest of the service was not on a par.

For those choosing to stay .... I found Wotif rates better than booking with the hotel direct.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear JeremyC-99,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. May I first apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with your card charge and the manner in which this was handled. Please know that I will be following up procedures with the team. In regards to booking channels, our best rate guarantee ensures guests who book direct through our website receive the best available rate so while they may be similar, there are never lower rates available through third party booking services. I would still very much like the opportunity to discuss your stay with you and have sent you my personal details via private message. I look forward to hearing from you.

Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

It has been a very long time since I have experienced the high level of customer service that I got on my recent stay at the hotel. I was quiet overwhelmed by the welcome that I received and it began as soon as it got out of the taxi and continued until I picked my luggage up late on the day of our checking out. I look forward to my next stay in Melbourne and I am positive that it will be at the Intercontinental Melbourne The Rialto. I am sure that many businesses in my home state would benefit from lifting their customer service to the level that your hotel has achieved. Many thanks

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Derani P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Rooms are well appointed, our room was spacious + bed and pillows very comfortable. Bathroom a bit small but shower and amenities very good. All staff very friendly, helpful and professional. Nothing was too much trouble. Buffet breakfast has a variety of choices with eggs made to order. Only downside, we requested daily newspaper which we didn't receive. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room at the end of the corridor which was extremely quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rita-Marie Y,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I do apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with your newspaper and will raise this with the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Boyne Island, QLD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Was located centrally for us, we went to SeaWorld (walking distance), and caught a taxi up to the eating district, close to many shops. Had a lovely time. Windows faced inwards, pretty. Unfortunately I couldnt sit out there though, all sealed off. Lovely view. Enjoyed the Spa/Sauna/heated pool in the evenings, had a lovely view of the city from the top

Room Tip: if you want a view of the city, gotta ask for it. Half the rooms enjoy a view of the inside of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Russian_Jag,

Thank you for sharing your kind review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately due to health and safety regulations not all our rooms have balcony access, however when booking an executive room you may request one with access and we will do our best to accommodate this subject to availability. I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Just enjoyed another night of blissful rest at The Intercontinental. Loved the new touch of an email sent several days prior to my arrival giving details of the hotel, how to get there and general information including a very handy weather forecast for the duration of the booking

Room was spotless as always, staff very welcoming, room service prompt and delivered with a smile and my dinner was so so tasty!

Plenty of desk space to work from, quality toiletries in the bathroom and sumptuous pillows and bed. Always a good night's sleep

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mades66,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for sharing your kind review. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Sebastian Germershausen

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!