“good, but!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Dunfermline, Scotland
“good, but!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed May/June 2013 This is the second time I’ve stayed here and in my first review a few years ago I said it was a bit pretentious. After this visit, I saw nothing to make me reconsider my initial thoughts.
On the plus side, after a marathon journey from the UK, we arrived at the hotel at 0630 and we managed to secure a room immediately, so thanks for that. Our request for an outward facing room wasn’t met but I put that down solely due to our very early arrival.
We were satisfied with the room but it didn’t overwhelm us. Everything was there but there were too many minor faults and issues that, whilst not worth reporting individually, taking them all into consideration, leaves me with the firm opinion that this is not a five star hotel!
The iphone connection was broken, cleaning standards were variable throughout our stay and toiletries were not always topped up or enough for us taking two showers! I know it’s only a phone call away but why should I have to do that for such a prestigious hotel? Also, whatever happened to the Elemis toiletries, the currently supplied toiletries are nowhere near as good.
We took breakfast every day and I suppose this is where my biggest let down is. There was plenty of choice but apart from the eggs cooked to order, the other ‘hot’ food choices were never more than lukewarm and often past their best. This even after we saw a member of staff checking temperatures of the hot food on several occasions and we never saw old food being replaced by fresh items. The cold shelf was very good though. The bread looked delicious but never once did I eat it without thinking it wasn’t fresh. On the first day at breakfast, I asked for a pot of coffee and was served with a half full pot of cold coffee that had obviously been used by another guest, I was disgusted but when I asked for a fresh pot I will only say, it wasn’t served with a smile.
Might I say that the doormen are first class, especially the gent from the UK and always greeted you with a smile. Now they know how to communicate with people, so well done you guys!
I’m back in Melbourne early next year and it’s the Langham for us next time.

Room Tip: As the French Windows are locked for 'safety' reasons (geez), ask for an outward facing room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Brigham,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with elements of your stay and would very much like the opportunity to discuss your experience further. I have sent you my personal details via private message and hope look forward to hearing from you.

Sebastian Germershausen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my wife for a getaway. The service is the best I have received in Australia. Everyone from the doormen, concierge to the the room cleaners were courteous and helpful. This hotel has a great position, good service and excellent facilities what more do you need?

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Duro21,

Thank you for your kind review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and l look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

What a treat ! Everything was perfect. The staff were very welcoming and we were quickly seated at an intimate table for two overlooking the atrium .Next was the tea selection.The list of teas was accompanied by a tea sampler box so we could see and smell our choice before ordering. A glass of sparking wine arrives and we sit back and enjoy the ambience of this heritage listed building. The tea arrives in a white china pot( 1 for each of us) which kept warm by a well designed tea light base. Next was the tiered cake stand containing a more than adequate selection of luscious sweet and savoury treats. Most notable were the scones with a touch of honey kept warm in a serviette blanket .$55-00 each but really worthwhile.
The Rialto also offers High Coffee with a Espresso Martini instead of sparking wine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear paloma057,

Thank you for your kind review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our High Tea. Hopefully you can return soon to experience High Coffee as well.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Spent the weekend at the Rialto when in Melbourne to see the Monet's Garden exhibition. It is the second time I have used the hotel in the last 12 months. Used my Priority Privilege (great programme by the way) membership and also upgraded to a Club room. Hotel architecture is spectacular and the common areas are first class. The intimate surroundings of the Club for afternoon tea and the decadent breakfast helped the weekend feel special. The honey comb from bees kept on the premises is a nice touch. The Club room itself, however, was not that fantastic. Granted it had more space but the bathroom in particular was awkwardly situated and arranged (shower) and the fittings needed some attention (soap holders over sink and shower coming away from wall). It may, however, have just been the room we were in and I look forward to experiencing a different one on my next visit!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lenensuisse,

Thank you for sharing your review, I am glad to hear your enjoyed your stay and plan on returning. Thank you for the feedback on your room, I will look into the issues you experienced and make sure they are addressed by the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

NSW Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The service from all the staff - especially the concierge team - was faultless.

We stayed in a club room (but without club lounge access so can't comment on that!)

Our room was lovely - large enough with a really great bathroom.

This could have been the perfect stay.

However, the room was too warm - despite the air conditioner being on its lowest temperature. We were told maintenance would check while we were out but nothing changed. We discussed it again at check out and were told that there are a few rooms in the hotel which have this problem and ours was one of them - a shame as the room was otherwise lovely.

Our other problem was that on our first night there was a jazz musician playing in the hotel bar. Due to the atrium style of the hotel the music was heard very loudly on our room (above the sound from the tv) and was very disturbing - especially as it went on until 10.30pm - past my bedtime! While I appreciate that other people might have enjoyed the music I did not, and when I stay at a hotel I do not expect to not be able to get to sleep due to something like this.

The swimming pool and gym area is lovely - enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear froggey,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am very sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay and would very much like the opportunity to speak with you further about this so I may isolate the problem of room temperature. I have sent you my personal details by private message and look forward to hearing from you.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We booked a weekend escape package which included valet parking, buffet breakfast and late checkout (2pm).
I booked on the phone and confirmed a twin room with 2 double beds. Upon arriving in our room we had been given 2 king single beds.
As my wife and I were travelling with our 5 year old daughter we really required the double beds.
After making reception aware of the situation we were approached by Michael, the front office manager, he apologised for the inconvenience and quickly resolved the situation to our satisfaction.
Michael was a pleasure to deal with and made our stay a pleasurable one. He followed up with us one more than one occasion. He is a credit to the hotel.
Rooms are modern and comfortable, hotel facilities are of an excellent standard.
Staff are friendly and helpful, especially the doormen/valet staff.
We have travelled extensively around the world staying in many hotels and rate the Intercontinental Melbourne as one of the best.

• Stayed June 2013
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear lovegettinaway90,

Thank you for sharing your kind review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I do apologise for the inconvenience you experienced checking in and am pleased Michael was able to quickly resolve it for you. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team and hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Intercontinental for 2 nights in May 2013 for work. Very comfortable stay, good sized rooms with professional staff. I didn't have breakfast at the hotel, but went across the road to cafe rema(which did a great breakfast). Hope to stay at the Intercon again next time I'm I. Melbourne.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear SydTraveller09,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Sebastian Germershausen

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!