“Nice entry to Melbourne” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #17 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland, New Zealand
“Nice entry to Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

As this was my first time in Melbourne this was a great start. I had a booked a limo through the hotel and it was very simple, as the taxis were on strike this was a good choice. I stayed on the ambassador floor which meant easy access to the pool, spa and gym. The layout of these is far superior to other intercontinental hotels. Although the breakfast was a bit less sumptuous than other ICH it was very good. The concierge seemed distracted when asked about a place to eat and I got better information from the person who brought my bags to the room. Our room faced outward and was very quiet. Unfortunately the windows do not open, due to some city regulation about balconies and it would have been nice to have some fresher air. Also confusing was our attempt to go to high tea which the front desk advised us was available, but the location was shut for a private functions. Fortunately the bar was able to arrange a nice tea with desert tray. I can't fault the staff for trying to help, but it seems they need to communicate better.

Room Tip: If you can get on the ambassador floor it is preferable
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear applejuice12,

Thank you for sharing your review, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry you were not able to experience High Tea however I’m glad to hear you were offered a substitute. Please know I will be sure to share your other feedback with the concierge team and hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Sebastian Germershausen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Perrh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here 4 nights, was upgraded from basic room to executive room as Ambassador Priority Club, main difference was slightly larger room with a desk and chair. Rooms have everything you need however quite small, opened out onto balcony overlooking restaurant and bars. Hotel located really close to shops, and Southern Cross Station and their factory outlets. Staff were friendly, restaurant really good, great choice of delicious food, same goes for room service, which was quick. Sauna, gym, spa all very good. Few things I didn't like:- 1) my bed was uncomfortable, mattress dipped both sides, so had to lie in the middle, lucky I was by myself. 2) the noise from the restaurants and bars travels upwards of an evening making it hard to sleep, I would ask for a room on the other side away from this next time. 3) every morning just after 1am I was woken up by the sound of the vacuum cleaner in the restaurant/bars below...so annoying, again I guess if room was on the other side this may not be an issue. One final comment,we had a fire alarm evacuation at 8.30 one morning, which by all means is good knowing if there was a fire, the system works. However a staff member told me later that they also had one a week or so ago, and they thought there must be a fault in the system. Suggest they get that sorted out sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Choose a room that doesn't overlook the bars and restaurants to avoid the noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Karen C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we sincerely appreciate the feedback of our guests. May I apologise for the disruptions you experienced, especially the false fire alarm. I would like the opportunity to discuss your other feedback with you and have sent you my personal contact details in a private message. I hope I have the opportunity to speak with you and welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We loved this hotel. I love hotels that utilize historic architecture and this hotel has done it right. The rooms were nice. The staff was professional, friendly, and efficient.

The location was perfect. We walked to dinner, the river, and shopping.

The breakfast was delicious and had a large selection of hot and cold items.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Luxury1Georgia,

Thank you for sharing your review, the hotel is indeed a special piece of Melbourne’s history and I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. I will be sure to pass on your kind feedback to the team and hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Burton in Kendal, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The hotel is passable, but not worth the rates - if I was paying for this rather than my company and I wasn't meeting people here I would have checked out on the first night.
The staff are fine and helpful so I cant really fault them. Service is a bit shoddy on occasions but generally OK
So what could be better
1) Wifi is $30 a day - for a rubbish signal - absolute rip-off
2) I am a platinum ambassador, had booked a king deluxe and was told that I had been upgraded - I was given a room on the 9th floor which is the Ambassador floor. The room is a standard with two free bottles of water.
3) The rooms are badly designed, even if it is an old building. The TV is on the back wall so you can't watch it from either the bed or the sofa unless you turn 90 degrees. the bathrooms are adequately furnished with a rain-shower
4) Breakfast is good and bad, fruit and omelet station are good, hot food is dire
5) The pool and the gym are OK
6) The location is great but you pay the price with no views from the rooms
7) The main concourse is a big alleyway / atrium through the centre of the hotel, which looks very nice but it just makes the whole place impersonal especially with the bar layout and the restaurant tables.
8) Finally re service - there are some excellent staff here who really make you feel welcome, and some that just do their basic job

Room Tip: High floor facing outwards.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear IanEB,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your feedback with you further and have sent you my personal contact details via private message. I invite you to contact me so that I may better understand the issues you experienced during your stay.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Recently stayed here for 3 nights for a conference in town, I found this hotel is a great idea for a short stay. Good location, beautiful architecture, love the Blue LED light from the Atrium. My room is on level 5, quiet and clean with comfy bed. I did not eat BF and dinner in the hotel's restaurant or use valet parking so I couldn't comment about these. On the other hand, I ordered Room service every night during my stay and Ben, the staff who took my orders is knowledgeable, professional yet kind at the same time. Seemed like he understands the menu more than any other staffs that I came across. Meals were up very fast with warm bread rolls (even at peak hour). Thump up for the Club sandwich.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Michelle W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! I will be sure to pass your feedback onto the team and hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Every time I stay in Melbourne I stay here, I love the building, the concept of the alleyway that is covered by the glass roof and the bar named after the alley. Yes the rooms are smallish but that's because it's an old building so has to be... Same as if in a central hotel in Europe. At the same time the beds are comfy, bathrooms nice and gadgets like electric blinds so some nice, modern touches

If I eat in the hotel (I prefer to eat out) I eat in the Italian restaurant- more atmosphere and better food and wine choice.

I have never used the parking, it's in the middle of the cbd, taxis every time for me so can't comment on valet etc.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
InterContinenta... M, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear neiljrodgers,

Thank you for your kind review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back again I the future.

Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This property is advertised as 5 star and while the prices are 5 star the quality is not when compared to properties such as the Hyatt on the Park. We stayed in an Executive Deluxe room on a Saturday night for the cost of $450, parking $50 and breakfast for two $50, so all in all $550 - hence I was expecting something pretty special. Unfortunately, while we found the bed comfortable, the room was particularly small and the bathroom very basic for this level of Hotel. Certainly for that sort of money the Hyatt on the Park would supply a much larger room, larger bathroom and better inclusions.

I am not saying that the property is a hole in aesthetic terms by any means, just that it really is not what I was expecting at that price point. Service was adequate but certainly nothing outstanding. There is no view except of the restaraunt and into other peoples rooms. All in all, there are better properties in Melbourne at that price point so I would look elsewhere, for example, the Hyatt on the Park.

Room Tip: Do not bother with an executive room, there is no way the lower priced option could possibly be smal...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brendon80,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your experience however. As the hotel is an historic building rather than purpose built for a hotel, the rooms and their inward looking balconies are a unique aspect of the property unlike any other. I hope that you will reconsider your decision not to stay with us and I may have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.