“Outstanding customer service, without being overbearing .” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #14 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
“Outstanding customer service, without being overbearing .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at this beautiful hotel many times now and it never disappoints . The staff are professional yet friendly and nothing is too much trouble.
The rooms are smart, spotlessly clean and have all the facilities that you could need.
The location is convenient for rail services, trams, taxis and for walking to Southbank or the main shopping locations.
I can't recommend The Rialto enough.

• Stayed August 2012
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear lklech,

Thank you for sharing your kind review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and found everything to your liking. I will be sure to pass your feedback onto the team and hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed here on two separate occasions during March 2013

On the first occasion, for just one night, I was given a room adjacent to the lift lobby. Unfortunately, once all is quiet one can hear the lift bells as they arrive on the floor and the sound of the lift going up and down - not really conducive to a good night's sleep.

It was also disappointing to find that there was no bath in the room, in addition to the shower - not what I had been expecting.

My check-in and check-out experiences were patchy... only once did I feel that the staff had a 5-star attitude, otherwise I could have been checking in at the local motel.

I've stayed at Intercontinetal Hotels all over the world, I'm a member of their Priority Club... this one - despite the beautiful setting and decor, didn't quite measure up.

Room Tip: Don't take a room ending in the numbers 03 - pretty sure all of these will be adjacent to the li...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear EnEx,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am sorry to hear your experience was not of the standard to which we always aspire as an InterContinental hotel and I hope that you will accept my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced. March is an incredibly busy month for us and the team are under a lot of pressure during this time however it is disappointing that this adversely affected your experience. I hope you will choose to stay with us again so that I may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had a wonderful stay here last week. Our suite was large and very well appointed and the club lounge was superb. The service in the club lounge was very attentive and breakfast in particular was substantial and of a very high standard.

During this stay we also used the hotels private airport transfer service and thought this was excellent value. Vehicle (BMW) was top notch and the driver was very friendly and efficient.

Once again the hotel has managed to exceed my expectations and reinforces its status as the only place I'll stay when visiting Melbourne.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Tony A,

Thank you for another kind review, I am so glad you again enjoyed your stay with us. It’s very pleasing to hear when we have helped deliver an excellent experience in Melbourne and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Joerg T Boeckeler
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I am a regular IC customer (Royal Platinum), and this venue is simply one of the best where I have stayed in the IC chain.

Location is amazing, in the center of Melbourne CBD. I was upgraded to a large corner room overviewing the main street, with a walk in closet and equipped with expresso machine and the usual amenities that can be found in any IC (water, flat screen TV,...)

The building itself is stunning, an historical Melbournian building from the last century, the hotel is well designed with a beautifull internal lightning that underline the building design at night.

You can walk from the hotel to the Yarra river banks, and location is good as well if you love running, in less than 3 mns you are jogging along the river and to the Queen Victoria's park

Another great stay in an IC!

I did not try the pool located on the last floor, nor had time for breakfast during my stay, just the in room expresso

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear FFM9,

Thank you for sharing your kind review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and felt it reflected the InterContinental hallmarks of quality and luxury. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future!

Halls Creek, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I love to stay in accessible comfort in Intercontinental hotels as they have high standards and are usually really enjoyable. I've had a succession of problems at the Rialto in Melbourne though - shall I list them?
The toilet hadn't been cleaned. The sauna wasn't switched on. My newspaper wasn't delivered. The TV remote control is rubbish. They have something called "instant Service" on the phone that hasn't been answered in 5 separate calls.
All little things - as Nana might say "I should have such problems". Fair enough however these are the simple things that divide 1, 2 and 3 star experiences. Each of the problems was fixed, although not simply (see "Instant Service" above). And I received a letter from the concierge letting me know they would love to assist me if I would only contact them. I shouldn't have to contact them! There is no soap in the terrible unisex shower/toilet adjacent to the sauna, and the toilet seat was nearly falling off - is it my duty to report those problems? Not in a classy hotel it isn't. So, if you have the choice in Melbourne, consider whether this hotel will match your needs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear KimberleyDave,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I am disappointed however to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Although fortunately it seems your issues were all resolved by the team during your stay, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. Our concierge team is one of the very best in Australia and as demonstrated they are here to help make your stay enjoyable. I hope you will choose to stay with us again so that we may further demonstrate what it is that sets us apart as a leading hotel in Melbourne.

Brechin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed in the Hotel for 2 nights on 22nd&23rd February with family and friends. We arrived at
the hotel from the UK after nearly a full day of flying. We went into the hotel after 7am very tired
but aware we could not book in till the afternoon. We had booked a total of 4 rooms for family and friends and the staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. They took and set aside
all our luggage etc while we went out in search of breakfast and a look around.We returned back about lunch time and were informed that to our delight that our rooms would be available very soon, this was a great gesture and the rooms were looking into the interior dining hall and bar etc. Flat screen tv, electric curtains, writing desk, nice bathroom and a huge comfy bed!! Bliss. When we went out, the door staff went out of there way to provide us info including maps. The bar staff were friendly and the breakfast choice was excellent and varied and omelettes were made to order and also delicious. We were informed by the staff the the Australian P.M. Julia Gillard had been staying in the hotel just before we arrived. On check out the lady on duty was friendly and interested on what we thought of our stay in the hotel and Melbourne. It was a pleasure to be there in the hotel and indeed the beautiful city which is Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Graeme R,

Thank you so much for your kind review, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. I will be sure to pass your feedback on to the team and I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back again when next you are in Melbourne.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our first stay at an Intercontinental Hotel has been the most amazing experience.All staff across the board from the Wonderful General ManagerJorg Bockeler to the amazing Kishor Guest Experience Manager have looked after us, our every need was attended to.Hotel was clean,rooms perfect and quiet, food excellent.The Club Lounge was a wonderful Sanctuary from a busy world outside.Beautiful Afternoon tea and Canapes and drinks in the evening.We will now always stay at Intercontinental Hotels if this is the standard, they are passionate about the quality of care for their guests.Thankyou to a wonderful team we will see you again.

Room Tip: Ground Floor room was our choice and very quiet but 5 lifts to all floors if needed
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Sue T,

Thank you so much for your kind review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that all aspects of service were of the high standard to which we aspire. I look forward to welcoming you back again!

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!