“Their service is Tops” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Their service is Tops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

A party of 40 of us staying at The Rialto from New Zealand - to go to the Melbourne Cup.
We stayed for 2 nights. I found the hotel centrally located and comfortable, nice cosy beds!
What really impressed me was the staff - who bent over backwards to be polite, friendly and on to it. There was one particular staff member who was just amazing, Saskia. Saskia works the bar from late afternoon to closing - she's only 19 years old, maturity beyond her years, interested in me and she herself was very interesting. I hardly ever eat at the bar, but having Tapas and chatting with Saskia made my night - there's a young woman who'll go far in life! the Hotel Intercontinental would do well to keep hold of you as an employee you were the simply the best! Thanks for a great experience, efficient and exemplary servive. Well done.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Adrienne L,
I am so glad to hear you had a wonderful experience with us and our staff delivered such a high standard of service. I will be sure to pass on your kind feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share you review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed here a number of years back. Being a RA they gave me a nice room upgrade and club access. Food in the morning was nice but was really all I used it for. Hotel is a great location and service is 5*. I will be interested to see if I get charged for internet or not as I thought that was free for RA members. Good rooms, good, value, good location. I will return for sure.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Andy M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. Currently we are not on the list of hotels offering complimentary internet to Ambassador Members but you can check on the IHG website to see an updated list of these at any time. I look forward to welcoming you back on your return.
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I planned a weekend away in Melbourne to celebrate our anniversary, as Ambassador members we chose to book with the Intercontinental. Our greeting was very welcoming. Our 'upgraded' room (719) was disappointing, nothing more than a basic hotel room. The bathroom was small and pokey, when the door was open there was little room left. On check-in we were asked our preference for newspaper and then didn't receive one at all during our stay despite seeing them in front of other rooms. Attention to detail on the housekeeping front was lacking, there were tablets lying on the floor in our room and another guests empty champagne bottle & bucket sat in the corridor for over 24 hours before being collected.

The highlight of our stay was the fabulous service from the concierge staff and Saskia at the Bluestone wine lounge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CJDuley,

Thank you for sharing your review, we appreciate the feedback of our guests and the opportunity it gives us to improve our service offering. I am sorry you were disappointed with your experience and I hope you were able to notify staff of your grievances during your stay as well so they had an opportunity to address them. I have taken your feedback under consideration and hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Napier, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Wonderful food. We had a it tale for twenty people with lots of sample plates. All the food was beautifully prepared and very tasty. The gaps between course were a bit too long and it meant that by the time the delicious desserts, cheeses and biscuits were served most people were ready to leave. They missed out on some gorgeous cheeses. I will come back again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here with a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) for 3 nights and upgraded to club. What we enjoyed most was the super friendly, nothing-is-too-much service from the Bell boys, especially Cliff and from the concierge, James, who is easily the best we have ever come across. The check-in staff were superficially friendly and did not give us the service that one would usually expect for a club room. We got checked into a twin room which was disappointingly small with a very small, simple SHOWERroom (again not what one would expect for club). We decided to change to a king room with roll-away bed instead and realised that this was not only a much bigger room, but also had a much more luxurious BATHroom (including shower). It would have been great if the front desk had at least presented us with the option of both rooms. The location of the hotel is good with walking access to Flinders Station (+/-15minutes) and the South Bank (+/-15 minutes) - which is the trendier part of town now with loads of good restaurants and bars. The food, unfortunately, really lets this hotel down. Breakfast was not as varied as a 5* requires with few exotic offerings. Smoked Salmon, Prosciutto ham and a cooking station for omelettes was as far as the luxury would stretch. There was no low fat option, no muesli, no freshly squeezed juices, no freshly baked loaves, no rolls, no soups, no asian options...Pastries were limited to muffins, donuts, croissants and apricot danish. For a city where good food is a big part of the culture and in plenty supply (Queen Victoria Market), surely the hotel could make a much bigger effort. Club Access was OK, but nothing to write home about. The drinks were served abundantly and the staff certainly weren't stingy, but the food was primarily food that does not require any cooking ie cold roasted vegetables, cheeses, hams, olives, dried fruit and bread. It almost felt as if the hotel did not have its own kitchen and gets the food from somewhere else. The only dish that was served fresh was the chef's special - 3 different canapes on a plate. If you spend a few days in Melbourne, I would say it is probably a better idea to just book a room and have breakfast, lunch and dinner in one of the many great restaurants around. Melbourne really has great food...everywhere! The hotel is in a converted old building which add an extra dimension to it, but also means that it gets very cold in winter. The breakfast area has a tremendously high ceiling and for the first couple of days we were wearing jackets during breakfast...The pool area also looked uninviting and...no kids allowed. Overall, we had a great time in Melbourne (and on the Great Ocean Road), but the hotel was below our expectations. Cliff and James made all the difference!

Room Tip: Ask for a king room, not a twin! Make a point of talking to James, the Concierge - he is a wealth o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

It was my first stay at IC Melbourne and my first stay at any IC as an Ambassador so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Fortunately I can honestly say I was really impressed!

I informed the hotel prior to arrival it was a special occasion as I planned to propose to my fiancé. On arrival I was told I had been upgraded into the Premium Suite – this suite is impressive and was perfect for the occasion. The upgrade that comes as part of being an Ambassador wouldn’t have got us into this suite so I’m very grateful to the staff for going the extra mile.

Special thank you to Genevieve for the rose petals and preparing the champagne – it was a wonderful touch. My fiancé and I are staying at the IC in Bangkok in December and hope that this level of quality is reflected there.

The Club Lounge was a great place to unwind and enjoy complimentary evening canapés and alcoholic beverages. It’s very much like a cigar bar with leather couches and arm chairs – very cosy. The buffet breakfast was very good too.

Our room was quite dark as there wasn’t much natural light. This can’t be helped as the building isn’t a high one and it’s surrounded by larger buildings.

Overall it was a great stay and looking forward to coming back over the wedding weekend next year.

Room Tip: Become an Ambassador and book a Club room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Clinton B,
May I first congratulate you on your engagement! I am so glad we were able to help make this a special occasion for you and your fiancé and I thank you for taking the time to share your kind review. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

A stylish Melbourne hotel that is worthy of 5 stars. Concierge staff are so helpful (especially the gentleman with the top hat). Tram right out the front goes all the way up Collins.
We had an end room with external view, nice. Merchant restaurant on the ground is brilliant. Massage at the health spa was great value. Swimming pool on the top floor is only small but sufficient.
Better value than the Blackman Hotel with friendlier and more helpful staff.

Room Tip: Get the end rooms for a different view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear The-Hedgemeister,
I am so glad you had an enjoyable stay and I thank you for sharing your wonderful review. I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!