“Great Service at a Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #9 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Service at a Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night as it was close to the restaurant we were attending for a work related dinner. The room which would be one of the cheapest available in this hotel was quite small but very clean & comfortable. The rooms open to a balcony overlooking the restaurant/bar area which looks like it was originally a lane way between the two separate sections of the hotel and is covered by a very high glass roof. The balconies are divided by clear glass partitions but are really unusable as their are no chairs etc on any of them and the inner rooms at least don't have any outside views.
There was an abundance of staff to look after guests needs and we were very well treated by them. On check-in a $100 security payment was deducted from my Visa card which was refunded on check out. This caused the reception staff some problems at that time & despite my asking for eftpos to be used it was entered as a credit transaction which of course incurs an extra charge. I probably should have pushed this issue but didn't.
Continental breakfast cost $32 per person which is to my mind quite expensive but was fresh & tasty and the service was good. We also felt that $15 was excessive for 1 glass of wine in the Market lane Bar.
The room had a good sized TV with a number of PayTV channels and a Bose AM/FM Radio/Alarm/Music player on one side of the bed. This is probably the first time I have ever seen a top quality unit of this type in any hotel I've ever stayed at. Unfortunately it wouldn't pick up any AM stations so was useless to me being a tinnitus sufferer who likes to have the ABC Radio tuned at night which helps to overcome the effects of ringing in the ears. The commercial, advertisement laden stations are irritating with their louder ads are not much help to me.
As we get older my wife particularly dislikes round door knobs, as fitted in this room which for her were quite hard to open. Another minor annoyance was the noise made by some type of machine, maybe a loud vacuum cleaner or similar, which woke me at approx 5.00 am. As we were in an "inside" room I didn't expect to hear any noise of this type.
Being in the West end of Collins street it as well out of the city centre and we rarely visit this part of the city so am unlikely to need to stay here again.
It seems to me that the great service certainly comes at a price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Steveg050,
I am so glad that overall you appear to have enjoyed your stay. As a five star hotel our service and goods are of the highest standard and our prices reflect this. I have taken your other feedback under consideration and I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

1,072 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I enjoyed my 2 night stay at the hotel, but having paid a premium for a club room access I was disappointed in the experience and would not recommend it for others unless service is improved.
I arrived at 11am and my room was not ready (fair enough), however when I returned at 3.30pm after a day of shopping and my room was still not ready I was not so impressed and expected more. I was assured that they wanted to give me a good room, naturally I was a little disappointed to find it was one floor and directly above the bar. (I had to sleep with ear plugs).
After finally getting my room I went to the club for áfternoon tea' this was a further diappointment. The food offering had declined since my last stay. There were 2 plates of food on offer, one had a couple of small cakes and the other the smallest scones I have ever seen. The tea was luke warm and not drinkable. I returned to the club for evening drinks and canapes to again be disappointed. Although arriving only about 15 minutes after service commenced the cheese platter was almost decimated and looked quite unattractive, the other offering was sushi. Other guests were offered a chefs tasting plate - I was not! For some reason I appeared invisible to the staff on duty. After about 40 minutes I had to ask if I could also be given the chefs tasting plate - it really wasn't worth it! The following day service in the club was not much better. At breakfast I went to make myself a pot of tea - a staff member rushed to take the pot off me and said she would make it. However, she then proceeded to not make the tea, but started clearing tables, taking capucinno and egg orders from other tables - I left the lounge at that point. I am happy to make my own tea, but if the staff don't want you to 'self serve' then they need to provide the service in a timely manner.
The positive of this hotel for me was the comfort offered by the room itself. The room was large, comfortable, very clean and well maintained. The bathroom was also large and luxurious with a large spa bath. A large TV with foxtel is available. The bed is comfortable, linen high quality and a pillow menu available. For me the hotel is at the wrong end of Collins St, but the location close to Spencer St may suit some.
Overall, a comfortable stay due to my room, but I would not recommend paying extra to access the Club Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Be careful that your room is not directly above the bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear HappyTravels-7,

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wangaratta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had the opportunity to spend the night at InerContinental Melbourne. Absolute luxury every thing was just perfect , from the staff,service and the restaurant,it was the first time I have had a real lemon squash in years.Love the Elemis amenities.
My grandaughter who is 6 yaers old, told me only the rich and famous stay at InterContinental.When my son asked is Nana rich or famous she said " Well she is certainly not famous ".

Gwen.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Gwen D,
I am so glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay. We certainly hope you felt famous! I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed at the Intercontinental in Melbourne with my daughter and sister - it was fabulous! Had a sumptious buffet breakfast every morning and the room was roomy and comfortable. Service was impeccable - the doorman was always quick to get us an umbrella and was very helpful with directions etc. My sister and I ended up getting a horse and buggy back to the Intercontinental one day (we got lost and it was pouring rain) and the doorman didnt blink an eyelid - very professional. They just helped us out of the buggy and took care of our packages!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Lifestylechoice,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here a few years back when it was just the Rialto Hotel and we (stupidly) booked a '5 star mystery deal'. The hotel was definitely not five star back then and we were very disappointed.

We took advantage of a great deal on wotif for room, valet parking and breakfast at a pretty cheap rate. Valet parking was fine but the parking or 'pull up' space outside the hotel is so limited and traffic was terrible that we actually had to go round the block and come back to be able to pull over. No one really offered to help with bags, not that we had many, but it would have been niced to have been asked.

Check in was easy and the staff member, a New Zealander I think, was friendly and personable (such a nice change from snooty staff at other hotels!). The room itself was nicely fitted out but already showing some signs of wear and tear. The size of the room was just ok, not huge. We had a room which looked out over the glass ceiling of the central atrium. There was a balcony but unfortunately it seems to be sealed off all the time. Such a shame because it was a lovely night and it would have been great to open up the french doors. Overall, we were pretty happy with the deal we got and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear theowlsgo,
I am so glad you had a more enjoyable experience with us this time. Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I will take your feedback under consideration and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I posted a review about 6 months ago where I cited indifferent front desk staff, long check out queues and expensive mini bar. I have now stayed at this hotel more than 10 times since then and I must admit that they have addressed most of the issues. The front office staff are very friendly and efficient, the concierge is on duty most mornings offering express check out and I have stopped using the mini bar and started using the Market Lane Bar - better atmosphere and although not cheap acceptable as a corporate expense!
I have grown to love the beds, the pillows and the shower but I still am not a fan of the tv position and the room service menu could do with an overhaul.
After trying other hotels in Melbourne it is nice to check in and be addressed by name, buy some Haighs chocolates before checking in and slip over to Merchant for some truly delicious pasta. I still give the overpriced breakfast a miss but I am starting to look forward to my Melbourne trips again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear indiga_11,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we always appreciate the feedback of our guests. I am glad we have been able to resolve the issues you previously experienced and you will be glad to hear our new room service menu is about the be launched. I look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay so that you may try it!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for a night each at the beginning and end of a Melbourne and Great Ocean Road trip last week. The first room was on the top (9th) floor and was quite luxurious. The only problem we had was that it faced a laneway and we had music from a downstairs bar or restaurant playing late into the night. The other night we mentioned this and were given a room on the first floor with a different facing window. It was a lovely large room with sitting area (husband part of the Ambassador club so we get an upgrade). The only problem this time was that the alarm clock went off at 5am (we assumed that housekeeping didn't turn it off after the last guest and will raise this with the hotel). Used the express checkout which was very convenient. The hotel leaves the bill under the door during the night and you just sign to authorise the card payment swiped on checkin and put it in the provided envelope with the room swipe cards. We were always greeted warmly by the doorman and given helpful advice.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room not above restaurant/bars in the laneway.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ozallens,
Thank you for sharing your feedback, I am so glad you had an enjoyable stay. I do apologise for the disruption of the alarm clock and look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!