“Hidden Gem..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #9 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Singapore, Singapore
“Hidden Gem..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is my second stay at this property and this time around the hotel surprised me with a fabulous suite as part of my RA upgrade. About the hotel itself, its just tucked beside the tall Rialto towers and has only 9 floors. No views to be expected from the rooms other than looking on to Collins Street. There are 2 sides to the hotel looking inwards with the open restaurant in the middle. Great service and attitude by the Concierge and Bell staff. The lobby is relatively small and wont give you the appearance of a luxurious hotel, but the suite certainly is. The place is more cozy and boutique style. The suite itself is well furnished and as you can see from my pictures very well kept and spacious. The bathroom is fantastic with a large shower room with multiple shower jets. it also has a good sized Jacuzzi tub and I love the heated towel rack. Location wise, its right on Collins st and getting anywhere in the CBD or to the Spencers St train station is very easy. Breakfast did not have a huge selection, but decent enough..

Room Tip: The suites on the left side tower facing Collins St are lot larger and nicely finished.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Gunal,
Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful review, I was so pleased to read that your enjoyed your most recent visit and that you found the Concierge and Bell teams so helpful.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

1,072 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Phillippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The IC Melbourne is on top of my IC list along with IC Manila and IC Hongkong and IC Ho Chi Minh City ( because of overall service and value).

I have stayed at this hotel twice both on reward stays ( 2012 and 2011) but was given a preferential treatment. I was given a suite and huge room twice. The minibar is free and with champagne and wines as a Royal Ambassador. Was not given a lounge access/free breakfast but that does not matter. I just dont know if they still give the same benefits though since I last stayed here in February 2011 to watch the Australain Open Semis and Finals.

Location is great and near everything else. Walking distance to some sights to see including the tennins court and some stadiums.

Rooms are great and this hotel called Rialto has an excelelnt facade too. Great stay. Great staff.

This is a great value if you get a deal but now I see the room prices has skyrocketed and Priority Club points value is expensive too.'

I give this hotel a 4.5 based on my stays.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear YUMFlyer,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with me your feedback. I was delighted to read that you were able to make the most of your Royal Ambassador membership with us and that you found the staff to be great too.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed in one bedroom suite, luxuriously appointed with flat screen tv in bathroom, the hotel is well styled, convenient location to shops and great restaurants. Friendly staff and excellent buffet breakfast. Only downside is no actual external views, swimming pool area and rooftop really nice, worth a visit

Room Tip: splash out with a suite
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ormiston62,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful review. I will be sure to share your wonderful comments regarding the hotel team.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I took my wife "back" to this hotel for her birthday. We first stayed there together 14 years ago - in one of the two Turret Suites. I booked well ahead and the hotel was able to arrange the exact same suite - so it evoked pleasant memories for us. The hotel has a picturesque atrium between the two halves of the hotel - lovely day or night. My wife had a massage in the East West Spa and said it was one of the best she's ever had. Special thanks to Amy and Kishor who looked after us wonderfully well and ensured we had everything we needed - very genuine service. One of my favourite hotels in the world that always retains its charm.

Room Tip: The Turret Suites are delightful and interesting.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear aviya15,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your review and may I please take this chance to wish your wife a very happy birthday. How special it must have been to stay in the same suite, 14 years later – I imagine the hotel looks very different today!
I will be sure to pass on your feedback regarding Kishor and Amy, I’m so glad that they were able to assist in making this occasion even more special.
The entire hotel team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon, hopefully it won’t be another 14 years before your next visit!

Terrigal, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed with 2 friends for a conference. I am a prority privilege member and choose to use some of my vouchers to stay for 3 nights with friends for a conference. We stayed at club level and didn't realise that the 3rd person had to pay not only for the xtra fee for room (expected) and also for club level access every day. It did add to the cost but the advantages were well worth it. The Rialto is very impressive as soon as you walk in the foyer especially at night with the lights showing the incredible interior. Service was exceptional during our stay and the use of umbrellas very helpful!
We thoroughly enoyed our breakfast, afternoon tea (even stepped out of the conference to experinence it) and evening drinks and canapes were fantastic. We did venture down to the resturant for dinner for a light meal and great deserts.
Our room had all the mod cons and we agree with other reviewers that the internet connection rate is over the top, so we used our own iphones for internet access. Refuse to pay at this level!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Lyn_traveller13,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your great review. I was delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay and that you and your friends enjoyed the Club InterContinental Lounge, it is indeed a very relaxing and luxurious place.
Thank you also for your feedback regarding our Internet services at the hotel, I will be sure to share this feedback with the relevant department heads.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed for a night when going to the theatre in Melbourne. I was surprised how good the service was and how friendly the staff were. We were greeted by every single staff member we passed by. We stayed here for a reward night under the Priority Privilege program. Great location in the city. The restaurant is excellent. Would highly recommend for a night or weekend away.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JuzzyK,
Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful review. I was so happy to read your comments, in particular about how friendly the team were on your recent visit.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Melbourne VIC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This review is more of a big thank you to the staff at the hotel who helped make our weekend stay special.
I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions with mixed experiences and choosing it again to get married in, seemed a bit risky....however I really wanted to take advantage of my ambassador benefits as we planned to get married in our suite in a small and private wedding ceremony.
So the first couple of calls left me feeling like things were not going to be much better than any previous experiences with wrong information about room upgrades. I persisted and I am glad I did because when I spoke to Anna, everything came together wonderfully. I arranged an inspection of the suites with Anna and she provided me as much detail as possible including room plans, viewings of several of the rooms and a personal commitment to assist in getting us the room we needed, the best package for the room and of course, the appropriate upgrade options we needed to use. Anna was brilliant and every time we spoke she was courteous, knowledgeable and obliging. She made the difference and we thank her.
I wondered if Anna actually worked 24/7 or if there were more than one Anna because she seemed to be at the end of every room service request we made (well most of them).
To be honest, everything worked perfectly, and every room service request was quickly and efficiently dealt with.
Our thanks go to all the staff, those in the club lounge, the guys on the door and concierge, all the staff that attended our suite during our stay and the staff in the restaurant on the Sunday - you all made our stay and special occasion memorable.
I think there have been some changes at the hotel. The staff seemed happier and more engaged. So I would say that if you are planning an event, persist in getting to the right person (or ask for Anna - sorry if I just gave you more work!), it will pay off.
As for the hotel, the food quality was excellent, room service menu was varied and well presented, the Turret Suite was excellent, (there are several variations of the Turret Suite), the Cupcake shop and the Haighs Chocolate shop located on either side of the hotel are worthy of your indulgence, and the club lounge served some wonderful chef dishes each evening in a warm and inviting atmosphere.
Nope - no problems, no complaints, nothing went wrong, everyone did what they were supposed to and then a bit more. So to all of you at the hotel that happened to connect with us on that day, thank you from both of us.

Room Tip: Ambassadors looking to upgrade between suites should call the hotel as some room types are not liste...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear jetsetter,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful and very thorough feedback, and may I please take this opportunity to share with you my sincere congratulations on your recent wedding, we are honoured to have been part of such a special day.
Anna is indeed a very valuable member of the team and we are lucky to have her, I will be certain to share your great feedback and comments with her and her team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!